Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Fredericksburg Wine Tour?

4,516 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cecil77
emando2000
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not sure if this is the right forum for the question but thought I'd try.

We're heading down the weekend of the 15th. We have tix to Randy Rogers at the Backyard Friday night but then want to hit multiple vineyards on Saturday. We're looking for more of a fun/lively/party experience. We've toured a few spots along the main road in the past but I'd like to not have the responsibility of driving around.
FBG_Ag78
AG
Friend of mine, owns Reserve Tours in FBG. Try him at 830/998-7990 or Austin@reservefbg.com
JAG03
AG
Look into the 290 wine shuttle. I believe they only run on Saturdays though. It is a shuttle service and not a tour but they have vans come around every 10-15 minutes or so. They stop at a lot of wineries and it's $30/person. If your looking for something nicer and more private you might not go this route.
Austintm
Shuttle buses, whether Napa or Texas, typically take you to places they have deals with or where they have friends, and pretty much all go to the larger belly-up-to-the-bar places. Also, if you are hitting more than 3 places, you are going to have palate fatigue by the time you finish the third.

IMO -- get a driver (or Uber), find 2-3 places that have wines that interest you, and book tastings. You'll get better treatment, learn about the wines, and hopefully come away with a few good bottles.
JAG03
AG
Austintm said:

IMO -- get a driver (or Uber), find 2-3 places that have wines that interest you, and book tastings. You'll get better treatment, learn about the wines, and hopefully come away with a few good bottles.

This is what I actually prefer doing but if you want to go to 5-6 different wineries and drink a lot and don't care which wines the shuttle is a good option.
cecil77
AG
Brandon Moon, a good 'Ag, as is Megan.

Moon's Vineyard Voyages

I'll be at Inwood Estates, we're more fine wine than a party atmosphere, but Brandon will set up whatever you want!

The only issue with the 290 Wine Shuttle is that they don't go everywhere. But, no, they don't have any "deals" with anyone...

And lastly, at most tastings you will consume at least a glass of wine. That means at about 4 wineries you've consumed an entire bottle. Just be careful...
Dover97
Another recommendation for Reserve Tours and it's Aggie owned.
Austintm
"But, no, they don't have any "deals" with anyone..."

Sorry, but you are just wrong on this. They have favorites and steer business to them, make trades, etc. I know you are out there, but that is a common practice in that industry.
cecil77
AG
No, they don't. It's a get on/get off shuttle that stops at every winery on it's route, and any winery that wants to can sign up on the route. So, unlike many tour operators to which you're referring, there are no "deals" or favorites. Individual drivers may recommend wineries or stops in response to questions, but it varies by driver. They would kill their business is they'd show'd any kind of favoritism.
Austintm
cecil77 said:

No, they don't. It's a get on/get off shuttle that stops at every winery on it's route, and any winery that wants to can sign up on the route. So, unlike many tour operators to which you're referring, there are no "deals" or favorites. Individual drivers may recommend wineries or stops in response to questions, but it varies by driver. They would kill their business is they'd show'd any kind of favoritism.

I assume you are referring specifically to the 290 wine shuttle. I am referring to the "tour" buses/shuttles that can pick where they go. If you want to maintain they don't do this, I will file it in the same place as I file your comments that you can plant vines on the moon and produce the same juice as Howell Mountain
cecil77
AG
Yes, as someone else mentioned above, I'm referring to the 290 Wine Shuttle.

Your other snark is not particularly appreciated. Yes, grapes can grow to their genetic potential (genetics defines possible phenolic development, not soil/climate) in a wide range of growing conditions. Each of those growing conditions will require specific farming to allow the grapes to achieve their genetically defined potential, and many growers will fall short in the attempt. Those failures, along with the myriad clones (many of which are unresearched and undefined) result in a case of "correlation w/out causation" which lead many to believe that specific vineyard locations lead to specific phenolic development. However, the moon is not one of the possible growing conditions. . Neither is the jungle, nor even the gulf coast (too humid), or the desert, or places that freeze 10 feet deep, etc. The salient point is that growing conditions do not (and indeed physiologically cannot) DEFINE specific phenolic development.
Austintm
cecil77 said:

Yes, as someone else mentioned above, I'm referring to the 290 Wine Shuttle.

Your other snark is not particularly appreciated. Yes, grapes can grow to their genetic potential (genetics defines possible phenolic development, not soil/climate) in a wide range of growing conditions. Each of those growing conditions will require specific farming to allow the grapes to achieve their genetically defined potential, and many growers will fail in the attempt. Those failures, along with the myriad clones (many of which are unresearched and undefined) result in a case of "correlation w/out causation" which lead many to believe that specific vineyard locations lead to specific phenolic development. However, the moon is not one of the possible growing conditions. . Neither is the jungle, nor even the gulf coast (too humid), or the desert, or places that freeze 10 feet deep, etc. The salient point is that growing conditions do not (and indeed physiologically cannot) DEFINE specific phenolic development.
You need to get over yourself. And I know you think that the growing conditions in Texas can produce the same juice as the growing conditions in Napa, so I won't try to argue with you. But you are flat wrong.
SpiderDude
AG
I'm just gonna drop this right here...

https://vinepair.com/articles/the-4-levels-of-wine-snobbery/
cecil77
AG
There's probably a couple more levels!!
Tumble Weed
SpiderDude said:

I'm just gonna drop this right here...

https://vinepair.com/articles/the-4-levels-of-wine-snobbery/
You told your kids they would have to share a room because you're replacing one of theirs with a wine cellar. When they cried, you told them doing this would be for the good of the family. And you have no regrets!

AggieOO
In my experience, the more "lively/party" the atmosphere, typically the ****tier the wine is. The places that have better wine are typically much more relaxed.

I really like Inwood, but its not a party atmosphere.
LCE
AG
Uber was not a good option in FBG last time I was there. Driver could never find us etc.
HTownAg98
Austintm said:

cecil77 said:

I assume you are referring specifically to the 290 wine shuttle. I am referring to the "tour" buses/shuttles that can pick where they go. If you want to maintain they don't do this, I will file it in the same place as I file your comments that you can plant vines on the moon and produce the same juice as Howell Mountain

Don't be a turd.
Austintm
HTownAg98 said:

Austintm said:

cecil77 said:

Don't be a turd.
Don't be a shill
HTownAg98
Have you tried the Cabernets that Dan is producing now? If not, you're no better than the person complaining about how bad a book/movie is without ever reading/seeing it.

And I don't think Dan or Cecil have ever claimed that they can make wine like Napa. In fact, if you go do the super flight tasting, they compare their cab against a Bordeaux blend (and a damn good one too). Cecil can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when they do their blending trials, they are tasting their cabs against St. Emilion wines.

Howell mountain fruit tastes like it does because they are growing the right clones for where they are and farming it a certain way. If you did the same thing in Santa Barbara, the wines would be terrible.

I call it like I see it when it comes to wine. Are the Cabernets made at Inwood good? They are well made wines with excellent balance that lean old world with strong Cabernet fruit character. Are they expensive? Yes. Are there better wines at that price point? Yes, because cropping Cabernet at a ton per acre or less is expensive as hell. But can you make a world class wine from Cabernet in Texas? The proof is in the pudding, and I was as skeptical as you until I went and tried them for myself.

I would encourage you to go do that tasting at Inwood one day. It's $45, and a steal at that price. Let everyone know what you think afterwards.
cecil77
AG
Quote:

Cecil can correct me if I'm wrong, but I think when they do their blending trials, they are tasting their cabs against St. Emilion wines.

Ch Marie LaRose is blended against several Bordeaux blends, primarily Margeaux.

Oentrepid X blended against several high end Napa cabs, including Spottswoode.

And yes, it's certainly easier to grow in some places than others, the point is that it's possible in some of those "hard to grow" places. And as to expense, yes ultra load yields are expensive, but at least here in Texas vineyard land isn't north of $500,000 per acre! At $8,000 acre, just plant more vines!
Tumble Weed
I love uber, but it wasn't quite up to snuff in Fredericksburg yet. Need some more drivers, and I didn't want to get stuck somewhere.
AustinCountyAg
Be sure and hit up Signor Vineyards. Wife and I were in Fburg this pst February and it was our fav winery. Nice and clean and classy.
AggieStout
AG
+1 on 290 wine shuttle. Super convenient and they go to many vineyards. Plus if you buy bottles you can place them on the shuttle and they will store them for you. You just pick up all your stuff at the end. It's cheap, easy and convenient
emando2000
AG
Lots of good recommendations! Thank you!
We're driving in from Austin on Friday. I plan on stopping by 12 Fires in Johnson City just because they've been talked about on here. We'll probably check out another once we get into Fredericksburg but call it quits at that point. We have tix to Randy Rogers at the Backyard that evening. I think I may schedule a tasting at one of the recommendations y'all have given then do the 290 shuttle and enjoy the day. Hopefully the weather is similar to what we have right now!

Any other Aggie owned spots?
Nuke LaLoosh
AG
The problem with the wine shuttles is that they don't stop at every winery, just the ones on the route. I've done it a couple times and can't help but think that there are some "gems" hidden in plain sight.

Bottom line is, nobody is gonna drive from winery to winery because it's just not safe... and the shuttles provide too good of a value to not use them. Uber is an option but Uber in the area is simply lacking the amount of drivers needed to be able to get from winery to winery in a timely fashion.

If you want the "full" experience, there are several privately owned shuttles that will take you to any place that you want but you have to rent them for the day. That'll be my play next time.
cecil77
AG
And three in one day is plenty. Four is absolute tops.

12Fires is a must for any Aggie.
William Chris is Aggie owned.
Messina Hof has BCS roots and Aggie owned. Their staff did dis Aggies to me once, but that was years ago.

Inwood and Calais are the best wines, by a significant margin, but are commensurately more expensive. (My obvious bias admitted and noted)

Not a lot of sweet wines, Fat Ass and Fiesta probably have the most. I don't personally care for the Fat Ass atmosphere, but many clearly do.

And if you drive yourself, please note that the speed limit from Fbg to Stone Wall is 60mph. My gps still indicates 70, but it was dropped to 60 several years ago, and they do patrol on weekends.

You'll have fun no matter what you decide. If you even want to stop by on Saturday to say "howdy" please do, even if our wines/venue aren't what you're looking for. I'm in the reserve room on the left as you enter.

schmendeler
AG
based on my experience 5-6 years ago, you don't want to invest much more on touring the wineries in that area than you would by taking the wine shuttle. maybe it's better now, but I wasn't particularly impressed.
LCE
AG
It's changed from5-6 years ago
schmendeler
AG
good to know
HTownAg98
Have you tried anything from Southold? They look interesting.
DripAG08
AG
William Chris is a must. You could also hit up Garrison Bros down the road if you're into bourbon.
cecil77
AG
Went to his opening, his dad attends my church. He only had his Long Island wines at that time. Nice facility, clearly lots invested. I do wish he would plant some higher quality varieties, though. Mostly Mediterranean stuff.
bularry
cecil77 said:

Went to his opening, his dad attends my church. He only had his Long Island wines at that time. Nice facility, clearly lots invested. I do wish he would plant some higher quality varieties, though. Mostly Mediterranean stuff.
"higher quality" is a matter of opinion. and Cabernet ain't the top, IMO.

He is making some great juice and more importantly, he has a vision for what he wants to do. He definitely has some misses with his style, but I like the effort.
bularry
Tumble Weed said:

I love uber, but it wasn't quite up to snuff in Fredericksburg yet. Need some more drivers, and I didn't want to get stuck somewhere.
I used it around town and always had really quick service.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.