Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

2 Questions About Chicken Wings

7,367 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Slicer97
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Have been experimenting with our new air fryer and have gotten great results with chicken wings. With a little olive oil and a dry rub I can make the the skin crispier than any batter. So, we're thinking about doing some for the family during the holidays. In preparing for that, I have 2 questions:

1) Wing preference, drum or flat?

2) What's your favorite wing dry rub?
FIDO*98*
AG
Flats because you can debone them after cooking and eat in one shot

I fry my wings so no help on a dry rub. I am curious what you were doing wrong that they weren't as crisp as your new convection oven method.
TxSquarebody
Flat
I make my own chicken rub, but if you follow Aaron Franklin's guideline for making rubs, it's a good base to customize to your taste.
Txmoe
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I fry my wings so no help on a dry rub. I am curious what you were doing wrong that they weren't as crisp as your new convection oven method.
My old method was to cook them on the grill with indirect heat using the 30-20-10 method, and they generally turned out great. Of course I sauced them for the last 10 minutes so they weren't crispy. I might try that again with just a dry rub and see what happens. I was skeptical of the air fryer, thinking that it couldn't do anything beyond what our convection oven could, but there are a few things that the air fryer does better. I assume it has something to do with the amount of air it circulates during cooking but don't really know.
FIDO*98*
AG
Gotcha, didn't realize you weren't frying them to start. I thought you were maybe frying at too high or too low of a temp so weren't getting crispy wings.

An "air fryer" is nothing more than a compact convection oven. I use a Char-Broil Big Easy from time to time when I don't want to jack with oil and it does a good job with wings, but, still no match for the fryer when it comes to crispiness.
ORAggieFan
FIDO*98* said:

Dry rubs can be great on fried wings, apply coming out of the fryer.

The bar I go to has a great Jerk dry rub on wings I like.

Also, flats.
WES2006AG
AG
Dry rub is great for keeping wings crispy as they hit the table
CrawfordAg
AG
Check Out Kosmos line of wing dust, I toss my wings after coming off my Primo and they're excellent. Some of the hotter flavors definitely pack a punch on the heat scale...

https://kosmosq.com/wing-seasonings/
Max Power
AG
I'm a fan of both, I'm partial to the flat.

As far as rubs go I go with equal parts kosher salt and baking powder, applied the day before. I use the Serious Eats method for doing them in the oven as it's way less hassle and cleanup. Gets the skins pretty crispy if applied the day before and you let them air-dry on a rack in the fridge.
HTownAg98
These are some work, but they are the best wings I've ever made, hands down.
https://www.chefsteps.com/activities/chicken-wings
Then use the pok pok wings glaze to finish them.
https://www.pdxmonthly.com/articles/2013/10/1/make-pok-poks-famous-wings-at-home-october-2013
FIDO*98*
AG
I wonder if anyone wants my recipe for Cauliflower "wings"
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Actually, yes.
lazuras_dc
AG
For air fryer this recipe has been amazing for me:

cup parm
1tsp salt , 1 tsp pepper,
2tsp parsley flakes
1tsp minced garlic
Air fry 375 , 12 min each side

I prefer flats
Matsui
AG
Second this. Want it.
FIDO*98*
AG
Well, hell. I'll cover the basics, but, may have to dial in the exact quantities for a future plant-based post.

Cut 1 head of Cauliflower into individual pieces

Make a wet batter with roughly 12oz Miller or Coors Light, 1/3 cup chickpea flour Plus 2/3 cup rice flour (or sub 1/3 AP flour and 1/3c cornstarch for rice flour). Looking for a Crepe batter consistency. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.

Make a dry batter with 1/2 cup almond flour and 1.5 cups Panko. Season with salt

Soak cauliflower in the beer batter for an hour or so. Dredge in the dry batter and deep fry at 350 until GBAD

Toss with Franks Buffalo Wings Sauce (Or use 1 cup Franks regular, 1/3c avocado oil, and 1 tsp butter flavor)

I got the idea for this method from an Indian restaurant that serves Cauliflower Pakora. Realistically, you could probably tighten up the wet batter with some extra chickpea flour and go straight to the deep fryer and you'd end up with some fritter type bites. Hmmm, may have to try that next time now that I type it out.

Not exactly healthy Vegan food here, but, I've put these out along side real chicken at some mixed crowd parties (mixed typicall meaning there's me and then there's everyone else who eats meat). They get devoured
Gramercy Riffs
AG
Sounds awesome. Thanks for posting.
Unemployed
AG
Here's a more important question. Do you eat wings using one or two hands?

I use only one hand because:

1) I'm not a child and have the dexterity to control a wing properly with just one hand.
2) My clean hand can grab a beer without getting sauce all over it.
3) Most importantly, especially when you're eating extremely spicy wings, you can use the clean hand to hold your p**** when you take a piss and not worry about residual sauce burning it.

FIDO*98*
AG
2 hands. See first post. De-bone Wing using 2 hands. Use paper towels after each wing to clean beer hands. Too much meat left on the bone trying to eat a flat one handed.

Pretty easy to eat Cauliflower one handed though. Score one for plants
Unemployed
AG
FIDO*98* said:

2 hands. See first post. De-bone Wong using 2 hands. Use paper towels after each wing to clean beer hands. Too much meat left on the bone trying to eat a flat one handed.

Pretty easy to eat Cauliflower one handed though. Score one for plants
I'm asking about wings, not your Asian gay sex fetish.
DiskoTroop
One hand.

Other hand remains clean for manning napkin and any other elements of the meal. Sides, beer, etc
TonkaTruck
Add some corn starch for crispiness on the dry rub. I do mine on the grill so I don't know how it would turn out in the air fryer but that's my 2 cents.
BAT2007
AG
If you want to make crispy breaded wings in the air fryer a great option is to use potato starch.
I've had great results

Air Fryer Crispy Honey Garlic Chicken Wings

Air Fryer Crispy Old Bay Chicken Wings
GeorgiAg
AG
Got a Ninja Foodi yesterday and the pressure cooker/air fryer combo is a religious experience. I just tossed them with some a bottle of wing sauce and some salt, but they were the some of the best wings I've had for the effort. Crisp and fall off the bone at the same time from FROZEN. 5 minutes pressure cook and about 15 air fryer.

Wings on the BGE/Kamado grill are good too, but I don't have that kind of time. And I can't throw frozen meat on the grill.

Almost made up for the World Series game.
Furlock Bones
AG
no matter how many times people try and substitute cauliflower for anything and say it tastes the same or is just as good, it is not. it tastes like cauliflower.
FIDO*98*
AG
I agree 100%. The Cauliflower fritters are definitely not a substitute for real Chicken wings nor do they taste anything like Chicken. I should have clarified that in my post. The Cauliflower fritters are delicious in their own right provided you like Cauliflower
GeorgiAg
AG
Furlock Bones said:

no matter how many times people try and substitute cauliflower for anything and say it tastes the same or is just as good, it is not. it tastes like cauliflower.
I know it's too far, but there is an Indian Restaurant in Atlanta called Tabla. They have a dish called Lasooni Cauliflower and I've had friends over and not told them what it was. They thought it was chicken. Granted it's covered in sauce and fried, so ...

But its delicious. That said, Id love it if they prepared it with chicken. I bet it'd be even better.
irish pete ag06
AG
Been looking at air fryers to do wings alone (I would love to eat wings once a week). This thread delivers.
Txmoe
AG
Appreciate all the responses to this thread. BAT2007's suggestion to use potato starch is a game changer. It really does crisp up the wings to where you'd swear they were deep fried. When the wings come out of the air fryer, you can hit them with any rub you want and it will stick perfectly.

The other benefit of the potato starch is that I can cook more wings at the same time. I used to have to do a single layer per batch (so that the skins would crisp) which meant that I could do only 8-10 wings at a time. With the potato starch, I cooked 20 in one batch and could've easily added 10-15 more.
Tumble Weed
FIDO*98* said:

Well, hell. I'll cover the basics, but, may have to dial in the exact quantities for a future plant-based post.

Make a wet batter with roughly 12oz Miller or Coors Light, 1/3 cup chickpea flour Plus 2/3 cup rice flour (or sub 1/3 AP flour and 1/3c cornstarch for rice flour). Looking for a Crepe batter consistency. Season with salt, pepper, and paprika.

Make a dry batter with 1/2 cup almond flour and 1.5 cups Panko. Season with salt

Soak cauliflower in the beer batter for an hour or so. Dredge in the dry batter and deep fry at 350 until GBAD

Toss with Franks Buffalo Wings Sauce (Or use 1 cup Franks regular, 1/3c avocado oil, and 1 tsp butter flavor)

I got the idea for this method from an Indian restaurant that serves Cauliflower Pakora. Realistically, you could probably tighten up the wet batter with some extra chickpea flour and go straight to the deep fryer and you'd end up with some fritter type bites. Hmmm, may have to try that next time now that I type it out.

Not exactly healthy Vegan food here, but, I've put these out along side real chicken at some mixed crowd parties (mixed typicall meaning there's me and then there's everyone else who eats meat). They get devoured

Cauliflower pakora was one of my favorite things to order at an Indian place.

Beer + Panko + Deep Fried + wing sauce? What's not to love?

It is funny that you specify miller or coors.
Icecream_Ag
S
Tumble Weed said:

FIDO*98* said:

Cauliflower pakora was one of my favorite things to order at an Indian place.

Beer + Panko + Deep Fried + wing sauce? What's not to love?

It is funny that you specify miller or coors.
why waste anything better
BAT2007
AG
Glad to hear txmoe!!
biobioprof
Anyone else make both the flat and the drumette into lolipops?
ElKabong
Furlock Bones said:

Try the cauliflower crust pizza at Palios. It is very very good.
GeorgiAg
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I wonder if anyone wants my recipe for Cauliflower "wings"
Hell yes
Trinity Ag
S
FIDO*98* said:

Gotcha, didn't realize you weren't frying them to start. I thought you were maybe frying at too high or too low of a temp so weren't getting crispy wings.

An "air fryer" is nothing more than a compact convection oven. I use a Char-Broil Big Easy from time to time when I don't want to jack with oil and it does a good job with wings, but, still no match for the fryer when it comes to crispiness.
Do you just pile them in the basket, or hang them on skewers or something?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.