Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Cooking boudin

4,299 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Old RV Ag
BigCountryAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently purchased some fresh boudin from a local specialty seafood market in Rockport.
Looks like the real deal.

I've had boudin before and love it, but not sure how to cook it.
I would assume it needs to be boiled, poached or steamed first to cook then either grilled or seared on the cast iron skillet.

I'd like to cook it without the casings busting open.
Yes, I'm aware you don't eat the casing on boudin.

Thanks in advance.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...DON'T teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man...and fishing's not that hard" - Ron Swanson
BSD
AG
Smoke 'em!
SpiderDude
AG
The rice is already cooked so you can typically throw them straight on the grill. That's how I've done it in the past anyway.
DiskoTroop
Smoke em and yes you CAN eat the casing when smoked. It crisps nicely. But limp boiled or steamed boudin casing is disgusting.
BigCountryAg
AG
Cool, I haven't had luck in the past grilling boudin but may give it another try.

The boudin I've had before is squeezed out of the casing and put on a cracker or eaten straight up sans casing, but I'm a relative noob to the whole experience.

I'm a hobby sausage maker and ain't skeered of eating it with casing on, just hadn't seen it consumed like regular sausage before.

Thanks again.
"Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day...DON'T teach a man to fish, and you feed yourself. He's a grown man...and fishing's not that hard" - Ron Swanson
MAROON
AG
on the smoker is the best way, then grilling, then in the oven
DiskoTroop
Smoke low and slow like a brisket. I guess with higher heat the rice expands too quickly and breaks the casing?? Not sure but straight up grilling from raw over flame doesn't tend to work.

We also put a little oil in a cast iron skillet and heat it slowly in the oven. ~225*f for 45 min or so. Flip occasionally to encourage browning, but it's not the best method.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Dipped in beer batter and fried.
ConstructionAg01
AG
A local butcher in Kerrville makes excellent boudin and we eat it regularly, especially this time of year into football season. No one ever told me not to eat the casing and its been fine for many years now. Typically cook it in a cast iron skillet with a little oil an loosely covered in foil, but learned to start slow with the heat and build up so they don't burst open.

I love to slice it 1/2" thick and eat on a saltine cracker. Perfect football watching food.
BMX Bandit
Quote:

I'm aware you don't eat the casing on boudin.

Since when?
lazuras_dc
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

Not sure if serious... but I'm about to try this.

Normally ... i just throw it on the grill ... and I damn well eat the casing every time.
Bruce Almighty
AG
In a kolache (yea, I said it)
AlaskanAg99
AG
lazuras_dc said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Normally ... i just throw it on the grill ... and I damn well eat the casing every time.

100% srs. Did this at a crawfish boil. Roll them into balls, then in flour, then beer batter and into fryer.

I made about 50 the night before, and I was beer battering shrimp, zucchini, shrooms, onion rings and even crawfish tails....boudain balls were the #1 favorite.
HTownAg98
phideaux_2003 said:

Smoke low and slow like a brisket. I guess with higher heat the rice expands too quickly and breaks the casing?? Not sure but straight up grilling from raw over flame doesn't tend to work.

This is the correct answer.
GAC06
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

lazuras_dc said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

100% srs. Did this at a crawfish boil. Roll them into balls, then in flour, then beer batter and into fryer.

I made about 50 the night before, and I was beer battering shrimp, zucchini, shrooms, onion rings and even crawfish tails....boudain balls were the #1 favorite.

Try rolling it around a cube of cheddar. Never heard of beer batter though, only flour/egg wash/bread crumbs
La Fours
AG
Boudain balls are awesome.
La Fours
AG
And in case it wasn't clear, you take the boudain out of the casing and then roll into balls.
lazuras_dc
AG
La Fours said:

And in case it wasn't clear, you take the boudain out of the casing and then roll into balls.
Makes sense, I've had boudin balls... I thought you friend the whole thing like a sausage in the casing lol
La Fours
AG
I mean, I guess you could do that.
AlaskanAg99
AG
GAC06 said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

lazuras_dc said:

AlaskanAg99 said:

Try rolling it around a cube of cheddar. Never heard of beer batter though, only flour/egg wash/bread crumbs

It was at a Homebrew crawfish boil so everything was in beer batter. Either a Belgian golden strong or imperial stout. Was so much fun. I'll have to try the cheese option, didn't think of that.
DiskoTroop
Scott, LA boudin festival had 8-10 different vendors. Almost all of them offered boudin balls with a hunk of cheese in the center. Monterrey Jack seemed to be the most popular.

Seafood boudin never sounded good to me but damn if Don's Boudin and Cracklins didn't change my mind on that.
Ronnie
AG
Hot steamed/boiled boudin is the way I always had it growing up in Louisiana. Smoked boudin and boudin balls stuffed with jack cheese aren't wrong per se, just an innovation and more recent in popularity. I like all of the above.

just don't spell it boudain or put riced cauliflower in it

Old RV Ag
AG
lazuras_dc said:

La Fours said:

Makes sense, I've had boudin balls... I thought you friend the whole thing like a sausage in the casing lol
Take that somewhere else. We don't care for pervs. /joke
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.