Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Chris Shepherd's new cookbook: "Cook Like a Local"

3,224 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by schmendeler
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This came out on Tuesday and while I haven't had a chance to cook anything yet, it looks like this is going to be fun to work through. The Tine folk are probably familiar with him but for those not in Houston, he is a local James Beard award winning chef who incorporates a lot of international flavors into his cooking (paying homage to the large populations of Vietnamese, Thai, Mexicans, etc in Houston). His food is really great so I'd recommend checking it out.

And yes, Korean braised goat dumplings are in here.

jh0400
AG
I gave it a brief read through. Asian flavors aren't my strength, so I'm looking forward to trying some things out.
RK
AG
had the dumplings for the first time at hay merchant last week. ridiculous.
La Fours
AG
Man, I was going to post about how I needed to plan a trip to the Tine for some Hay Merchant and BRC. Only to find out BRC closed 3 years ago. Not sure how I missed that. Did they at least put the bacon jam on the Liberty Kitchen menu?
BSD
AG
You can still come to Hay Merchant. I'm game.
La Fours
AG
Oh, no doubt. Just have to find the time. If you know where I can find some, let me know.
jetch17
AG
La Fours said:

Man, I was going to post about how I needed to plan a trip to the Tine for some Hay Merchant and BRC. Only to find out BRC closed 3 years ago. Not sure how I missed that. Did they at least put the bacon jam on the Liberty Kitchen menu?
yes Liberty Kitchen still has a few OG BRC dishes and bacon jam (the original Liberty still has the actual BRC out front) - still not the same without all the beer and desserts of yesteryear

sh*t, now i want some goat dumplings - need to hit Merchant soon, been a while
ChipFTAC01
AG
I haven't been to Jay Merchant in forever. Is their tap list still pretty much the champ here in town?
JYDog90
AG
La Fours said:

The bacon jam at HEB is pretty dadgum good.
La Fours
AG
It is good, but not BRC good.
jh0400
AG
I played around with a recipe a few years ago after Little Liberty closed. The main ingredients were bacon, brown sugar, and yellow onion, but I can't remember the rest.
BSD
AG
Shepherd was on Jimmy Kimmel last night:

Ducks4brkfast
AG
I've always assumed those were a Shepherd recipe. Didn't realize it was a classic dish.
schmendeler
AG
i like shepherd but that segment was pretty awkward to me.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.