Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

huevos rancheros?

4,789 Views | 34 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by GAC06
Yukon Cornelius
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any of yall make it? How do yall make your sauce?
Slicer97
AG
I just fry a couple or three eggs and spoon some jarred picante sauce on them unless I happen to have some leftover homemade sauce. As far as the homemade salsa, just google a recipe and adjust to your taste. I've never used a set recipe and it always comes out good.

To me, this is one of those things you really shouldn't overthink. Keep it simple and you really can't screw it up unless you like your eggs cooked to the point that the yolk sets and then there's really no helping you.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Thank you. Thats what I was thinking. Wasnt sure if people had some tried and true sauces they like with it.
Slicer97
AG
There might be.

Now I know some folks that will poach the eggs in the sauce, but frying and covering just seemed an easier way to get to basically the same thing.
FIDO*98*
AG
Ranchero Sauce is all over the map. Really depends on what style you like. I feel like fresh tomatoes are a must for my style. Here's a recipe that's really close to what I do, however, I use green Chile instead of Poblano and probably half the stock.

Mark's Good Stuff now has a ranchera sauce in a jar

Edit*
Here's another that was typed up more traditionally

Ranchero Sauce

2 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 cup onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 small roasted poblano pepper
4 medium tomatoes, skinless, grated
teaspoon cumin
teaspoon ground oregano
teaspoon chili powder
teaspoon of kosher salt
teaspoon black pepper
2 cups of chicken stock

Roast the poblano under the broiler about ten minutes turning as it blackens. Remove pepper and place in a paper bag with the top folded over for 15 minutes. Remove blackened skin from the pepper. Take out the seeds, remove stem and rough chop.

Place oil in a deep saucepan, saut onions until translucent. Add in garlic, cumin, oregano and chili powder. Cook until fragrant, about 5 minutes. Add in the broth, tomatoes and poblano pepper. Use liquid to deglaze the pan. Season with salt and black pepper. Bring liquid to a boil, and then reduce heat to low and simmer sauce for 45 minutes. Using a stick blender, blend sauce until smooth.

Use this sauce over Chile Rellenos, Huevos Ranchero, and enchiladas to just as a salsa!

Yukon Cornelius
AG
Gracias. Looks good. Will try
Old RV Ag
AG
Once again, more tomatos than chile. You must be Eye-talian.

Try something like this

https://www.newmexico.org/things-to-do/cuisine/recipes/red-chile-sauce/
RGV AG
AG
Just to clarify, true Huevos Rancheros, the eggs should be placed on a lightly fried whole corn tortilla. With a little ranchero sauce underneath and a lot on top. I prefer my eggs over medium for these, but I have often seen the eggs poached in the sauce.

I didn't get into reading about the recipes for Ranchero Sauce, but traditionally Ranchero sauce is not very spicy, or should not be, but should be tangy and tart. And it should be simmered and almost stewed.

Huevos rancheros with a side of salty bacon and true, non runny, refried beans are a wonderful thing.

HTownAg98
Old RV Ag said:

Try something like this

You're just trolling now, and not very good at it.
TheTruthHurtsAg
New Mexico Red Chile Sauce and Ranchero Sauce are two different things entirely. You and Phideaux really need to drop this crap.
DiskoTroop
Never mind. Not worth it
chipotle
Wait...do what with Hot Cheetos? I'm listening.
Old RV Ag
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Old RV Ag said:

Try something like this

Fido's other 98 sock white knighting himself.
DiskoTroop
chipotle said:

You're quick man. Ok I said to HTown:

Don't be pissed because your boy copy and pasted another BS Rachael Ray recipe. I'm surprised it wasn't huevos rancheros/flamin hot Cheetos casserole.

Old RV might be on to something though...

How do we know I'm not one of FIDO's socks just sparking controversy so he has some interest in whatever restaurant he's opening based around tomato and chili recipes?? I mean he's got a full menus of dishes based in that...
Old RV Ag
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

chipotle said:

You're quick man. Ok I said to HTown:

Don't be pissed because your boy copy and pasted another BS Rachael Ray recipe. I'm surprised it wasn't huevos rancheros/flamin hot Cheetos casserole.

Old RV might be on to something though...

How do we know I'm not one of FIDO's socks just sparking controversy so he has some interest in whatever restaurant he's opening based around tomato and chili recipes?? I mean he's got a full menus of dishes based in that...
His full set of recipes is like putting a new sign each time on this as an architect

HTownAg98
Old RV Ag said:

HTownAg98 said:

Old RV Ag said:

Try something like this

Fido's other 98 sock white knighting himself.

My account was registered well before his, so his account would be my sock if it were even remotely true.

You're a special kind of stupid.
DiskoTroop
Yeah HTown was first 100
95_Aggie
AG
so much hostility on the Food Board
MarylandAG
OP if you like huevos rancheros, give huevos divorciados a try when you get a chance. Essentially a huevo ranchero with its green cousin to the side, haha.

Something sort of like this....
[url]https://pinaenlacocina.com/2014/04/28/huevos-divorciados/[/url]

Also to RV on the comment about non-runny refried beans, I COMPLETELY agree. I prefer mine to have an almost doughy consistency where I can stick some totopos (fancy name for a tortilla chips, the thicker kind) and they will stay upright.

HTownAg98
phideaux_2003 said:

Yeah HTown was first 100

citation needed
RGV AG
AG
MarylandAG said:

OP if you like huevos rancheros, give huevos divorciados a try when you get a chance. Essentially a huevo ranchero with its green cousin to the side, haha.

https://pinaenlacocina.com/2014/04/28/huevos-divorciados/]https://pinaenlacocina.com/2014/04/28/huevos-divorciados/

Also to RV on the comment about non-runny refried beans, I COMPLETELY agree. I prefer mine to have an almost doughy consistency where I can stick some totopos (fancy name for a tortilla chips, the thicker kind) and they will stay upright.

Good mention for the Divorciados, I always enjoy them when the green sauce is hotter than burning stump.

I will see your Huevos Divorciados and raise you Huevos Motulenos, which is one of my absolutely favorite way of eating eggs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huevos_motule%C3%B1os
Also, the eggs poached in sauce are basically Huevos Ahogados, which can be excellent when made by those who know how to do them well, I don't but wish I did. Growing up we had a house keeper that used to make them and Good Lord of Mercy they were the best egg dish I have ever had. Mine just do not come out that well, and it could be my lack of being able to make the sauce right.

But they are served in a bowl link thing piping hot, and again with a side of true refried beans, preferably black refried in lard, is a glorious meal. But with homemade corn tortillas.
Old RV Ag
AG
RGV AG said:

MarylandAG said:

https://pinaenlacocina.com/2014/04/28/huevos-divorciados/]https://pinaenlacocina.com/2014/04/28/huevos-divorciados/

Good mention for the Divorciados, I always enjoy them when the green sauce is hotter than burning stump.

I will see your Huevos Divorciados and raise you Huevos Motulenos, which is one of my absolutely favorite way of eating eggs.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Huevos_motule%C3%B1os
Also, the eggs poached in sauce are basically Huevos Ahogados, which can be excellent when made by those who know how to do them well, I don't but wish I did. Growing up we had a house keeper that used to make them and Good Lord of Mercy they were the best egg dish I have ever had. Mine just do not come out that well, and it could be my lack of being able to make the sauce right.

But they are served in a bowl link thing piping hot, and again with a side of true refried beans, preferably black refried in lard, is a glorious meal. But with homemade corn tortillas.
When is Texags going to get with the program and allow the enye and accents?
Bruce Almighty
AG
Broil 1 pound tomatoes, 3 garlic cloves, 2 jalapenos and 1/2 white onion until blistered on both sides. Puree everything but onion food processor when cooled. Place in bowl and chop onion. Add to bowl and season with salt.

I like my huevos rancheros with queso fresco and chopped cilantro
DiskoTroop
Bruce Almighty said:

Broil 1 pound tomatoes, 3 garlic cloves, 2 jalapenos and 1/2 white onion until blistered on both sides. Puree everything but onion food processor when cooled. Place in bowl and chop onion. Add to bowl and season with salt.

I like my huevos rancheros with queso fresco and chopped cilantro

Sounds nice and fresh!
RGV AG
AG
Absolutely agree on the queso fresco. Cilantro, one of the very few things in the edible world that I can only take in small, small doses. When I cook for myself, it is on the 86 list. On a thread here on TA, some dude said it was genetic or something, I can't stand too much mint either.
RGV AG
AG
Agree boss, I have tried to trick it a variety of ways. Ni fu, ni fa.
TXAG 05
AG
Can't stand cilantro. Tastes like soap.
Potcake
AG
Motulenos
HTownAg98
Cilantro tasting like soap is genetic.
RGV AG
AG
To me too, I have learned to deal with a tad, but it is real strong for me and I eat just about anything. A poster on here posted something, a link, where it said this was basically genetic or something. I was surprised.
GAC06
AG
Huevos Rancheros for dinner tonight. Made Fido's recipe more or less for enchiladas earlier in the week, except doubled it and added a few jalapenos, and it was nice
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Roasted onions, bell pepper, poblano pepper, red and green jalapeno tomatoes and garlic in the oven with the broil. Then de-skinned them. Put them in blinder with stock, tomato paste and seasoning. Then put all on stove to simmer for about an hour.

Next day made the dish. Turned out really well. Thank you all for the advice. Doing it again this weekend.

RGV AG
AG
Boss, that looks really, really good. Save for that yucky cilantro (jk).

If you can, do try the traditional manner of having a couple of lightly fried corn tortillas under the eggs, it is really good.
Yukon Cornelius
AG
Thank you. It was really good. I did put torillas on the bottom or you talking doing something different?
RGV AG
AG
Nope, that is the real and right way to do it. Lightly fried egg on the bottom. I think the tortilla bed makes a big difference, otherwise they are just eggs with salsa on them. Also, my favorite way of eating them is a couple of slices of bacon.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.