Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Local Oktoberfest beer for party (keg)

2,322 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AggieOO
newhowdyag2004
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This year is our 4th Oktoberfest at our house (usually the first week on November so it's cooler).

What is the best local Oktoberfest beer?!

In year one I got Karbach Oktoberfest.
Year 2: Franzeskaner Weissbeir
Year 3: Spaten Oktoberfest

But, I want to try local again this year. What are y'all suggestions?
Bmac04
AG
Location?
gigemags87
AG
We're on our 23rd year of backyard Oktoberfest. My usual keg lineup:

- German (1): usually Paulaner pils or eurtyp
- Local DFW/Tx (2-3 from list):
RealAle Oktoberfest
Franconia: wheat, kolsch or oktoberfest
Community: Witbier

newhowdyag2004
I'm in Conroe.

I did go to Specs to see if they can get Augustiner Bru Marzen Bier.
schmendeler
AG
I think saint Arnold's is excellent.
FIDO*98*
AG
Current Favorite.....Used to have to get it at Total Wine, but, HEB just started carrying it

Joe Exotic
AG
Hacker Pschorr is my absolutely favorite. I like Spaten and Lowenbrau too. Not big on fakes that aren't from the big 6.
62strat
AG
newhowdyag2004 said:

This year is our 4th Oktoberfest at our house (usually the first week onNovember so it's cooler).

lolwut?

Hey guys come over for my Independence Day party, but I'm gonna do it in May when it's not so hot.
TXAG 05
AG
62strat said:

newhowdyag2004 said:

This year is our 4th Oktoberfest at our house (usually the first week onNovember so it's cooler).

lolwut?

Hey guys come over for my Independence Day party, but I'm gonna do it in May when it's not so hot.

Was thinking the same thing. Are marzens even still available in November?
newhowdyag2004
You are aware that they start Oktoberfest in September in Munich, right? And why? Because October is cold in Bavaria.

If they moved it up for climate reasons, so can I.
schmendeler
AG
newhowdyag2004 said:

You are aware that they start Oktoberfest in September in Munich, right? And why? Because October is cold in Bavaria.

If they moved it up for climate reasons, so can I.
no, it's in September because it was originally a preceding celebration for the king's wedding in October
newhowdyag2004
The Origin of the Oktoberfest Oktoberfest began on October 12, 1810 with the marriage of Crown Prince Ludwig, who later became King Ludwig I. His marriage to Princess Therese von Sachsen-Hildburghausen was celebrated in Bavaria.

This is also what we were told while in Munich, but that it was moved up to September because it gets cold in October.

Thanks for the derail..
62strat
AG
I thought it was related to beer (and by extension, weather).. german law only allowed brewing between 9/29 and 4/23 (no brewing in the summer). The marzen was brewed (in march, hence the name) to a higher abv and malt/hop content than normal german lagers so it could age well in the cellar throughout the summer, when the lighter beers are drunk (since no more brewing was taking place in summer).

Then when octoberfest comes, they break out these heavier beer, drink it all in mid/late september. On 9/29 they can brew again, and have the typical lighter beer ready by the time octoberfest is over in early oct and all the marzen is gone.
Joe Exotic
AG
They haven't served traditional marzens at Oktoberfest since the early 90's I believe. Last time I was there I was told that the big 6 breweries all serve something closer to a Munich helles in the tents now.
62strat
AG
Bo Darville said:

They haven't served traditional marzens at Oktoberfest since the early 90's I believe. Last time I was there I was told that the big 6 breweries all serve something closer to a Munich helles in the tents now.
I'm talking history of the festival.
slappy
AG
I like Hofbrau Oktoberfest. Would love to find some Lowenbrau to try.
Joe Exotic
AG
Try Hacker Pschorr if you can find it.

Paulaner has two Oktoberfests out this year. A traditional marzen style and one called the Weisn. The weisn is the one they actually serve in the tents.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
schmendeler said:

I think saint Arnold's is excellent.
+1
AggieOO
I brew my own, but that doesn't help you.

We are on year 5 of our Oktoberfest party. I always schedule it on an A&M bye week. This year, we have two, and we can't do the first bye weekend, so our party will be in November too. Who gives a crap if its "late"? I sure don't.

Those of you who have Oktoberfest parties, what all do you have going on at your parties? We always grill brats and the wife makes homemade pretzels. We'll do an assortment of other german foods/desserts, and we'll put on an Oktoberfest playlist for music. Have a bunch of random oktoberfest decorations, and of course we dress the part as well. We try to up the ante each year, so always looking for ideas.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.