Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Franklin BBQ Pits

4,514 Views | 16 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by BusterAg
BSD
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
According to his Instagram account, Franklin BBQ Pits will be released this fall. One of the pits is going up on eBay tonight for a charity fundraiser. That should be fun to watch. I took a screenshot of the upcoming eBay listing description that he had on IG. Looks like these will retail for about $3500. Based on my conversation with him a few months ago, the signup list is over 40,000 and he plans to make about 1000 smokers or so a year.

Happy bidding, y'all!
chipotle
Ridiculous
FIDO*98*
AG
You can get a hell of a lot better smoker than that for $3,500. Lone Star Grillz, Tejas Smokers, Gator Pits are just a few that come to mind.

Gotta give the dude credit though. He's made hay while it's raining and his bbq backs it up. Good for him
Furlock Bones
AG
FIDO*98* said:

You can get a hell of a lot better smoker than that for $3,500. Lone Star Grillz, Tejas Smokers, Gator Pits are just a few that come to mind.

Gotta give the dude credit though. He's made hay while it's raining and his bbq backs it up. Good for him
really, really?! after what happened on the OB? no chance in hell i'd give that chump money.
BSD
AG
That's who it was! Thanks. I couldn't remember. What a cock thistle.
aggiejumper
AG
I figured he'd be releasing these soon, he used them in his MasterClass episodes. They look neat but are twice what a pit like that should cost plus it needs bigger wheels. Those casters are a pain to move around.
schmendeler
AG
BSD said:

According to his Instagram account, Franklin BBQ Pits will be released this fall. One of the pits is going up on eBay tonight for a charity fundraiser. That should be fun to watch. I took a screenshot of the upcoming eBay listing description that he had on IG. Looks like these will retail for about $3500. Based on my conversation with him a few months ago, the signup list is over 40,000 and he plans to make about 1000 smokers or so a year.

Happy bidding, y'all!
so if you sign up now, you can get one in 2059!
BSD
AG
Ha. He knows that not everyone on the list will buy so you may only need to wait 20 years!
HTownAg98
It might be a good time to check Austin Craigslist for good quality offsets that the hipsters will be dumping to buy this new pit.
Furlock Bones
AG
Exactly!
Txmoe
AG
Furlock Bones said:

FIDO*98* said:

really, really?! after what happened on the OB? no chance in hell i'd give that chump money.
This sounds like a good story. What did I miss?
RCR06
AG
The thread eventually got locked, but you could probably find it searching the OB for gator pits. Edit: original thread was deleted. Guy orders a pit from gator pits. They get way behind on builds and can't get it to him when he thought it would be ready. Eventually it gets to where the pit won't be ready for the event the original purchaser was purchasing it for. Original purchaser tries to get out of the deal with gator pits since he won't be able to use it for the event that he purchased it for. Some lady at gator pits is really rude about it and tells him basically tough we're not refunding your money. There were some other rude interactions with her as well. Original purchaser comes to the OB to try and sell the pit. Someone ended up buying it on the OB. That was the gist of it. It was a long thread and I know I left some things out.

https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2941547/3
BusterAg
AG
I hadn't seen that Gator Pit story. For the record, my wife bought me a gator pit in ~2007 when I passed my CFA as a congratulatory present.

She went ahead and paid it all upfront because she didn't want to mess with the hassle of two payments.

I got my passing grade in July, and she was hoping to have it by Christmas and surprise me. When thanksgiving came and went, she came to me in tears thinking this guy might have hoodwinked her. The conversation ruined the Christmas surprise.

I had a different experience with my personal interactions with the guys at the shop. I went by the store, and remember talking to him, and was no longer concerned after the conversation. I don't recall the details of the discussion. I picked up the pit some considerable time after Christmas.

The pit is great. Works great. Great price. 12 years old, and still looks great, but I sand and paint it every year. Much cheaper than the Franklin pit above, but doesn't have the double-walled firebox, either.

So, long story short, it takes these guys a while, but they make some good pits. If you want something by a specific date, you probably want to go somewhere else, but my experience was not nearly as bad as that other guys.
Tumble Weed
Will someone explain the double walled and insulated firebox? Insulated with what exactly?
schmendeler
AG
Tumble Weed said:

Will someone explain the double walled and insulated firebox? Insulated with what exactly?
reclaimed asbestos
Player To Be Named Later
Tumble Weed
schmendeler said:

Tumble Weed said:

reclaimed asbestos
BusterAg
AG
Other similar stick burners on the market often use ceramic fireproof blankets. Those aren't expensive, but there is additional steel and welding.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.