Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

*What's Cooking on the Flat Top*

131,459 Views | 415 Replies | Last: 9 mo ago by agcrock2005
WES2006AG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
12thAngryMan said:

Has anyone tried one of these on their kitchen stove (gas)?

https://steelmadeusa.com/products/flat-top-grill-griddle

I'd like to get in on the flat top action, but having this in the kitchen seems a lot more convenient than cooking outside.

That seems like a huge mess...
ATM9000
AG
12thAngryMan said:

Has anyone tried one of these on their kitchen stove (gas)?

https://steelmadeusa.com/products/flat-top-grill-griddle

I'd like to get in on the flat top action, but having this in the kitchen seems a lot more convenient than cooking outside.

I had this and sold it and got a smaller skillet like grill, like half the size. It works well but to be honest, whenever I used the entire thing, it smoked the **** out of my house whereas the smaller ones didn't. I'm presuming because I was just cooking less stuff.

It's not a mess at all though.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
Dog night
Mule_lx
AG
My wife's birthday is coming up. She has a live for Philly cheesesteak sandwiches. Does anyone have any tips?
bdgol07
AG
get a butcher to shave/cut up the ribeye if possible. The shaved beef I got at Kroger was pretty crappy meat and I wasn't thrilled with it. Won't go that route again.
Mule_lx
AG
Ribeye. Does grade matter a lot? I have a meat slicer
bam02
AG
Save yourself the trouble and buy a bunch of these. Then use the recipe on blackstone site
bdgol07
AG
I'd think that with anything, grade does affect it a little but when it is so thin, it may not. You will soon be more knowledgeable as the subject matter expert compared to me...lol
ValleyRatAg
AG
Buy a whole tenderloin, trim off the chain. Chop the chain up for Philly cheesesteaks.

Cut the rest of the tenderloin into a roast and some steaks.

We always use the chain to make cheesesteaks or street tacos. It's delicious.
tlepoC
AG
I've joined the club with the 36" WalMart pro. Quite a useful tool. I need to remember to use low more then I think I should...
FtBendTxAg
AG
Lowe's has a Father's Day ad special for a 2 burner 30" blackstone for $198.00 and it looks like it comes with a cover and an a small accessory kit. Seems like a good deal, I may purchase it and see if they're for me.
GIF Reactor
AG
Thanks for the heads up, I may use this as a chance to jump into the flat top world as well.
MarylandAG
Hot dogs on the griddle, big thumbs up!!! I detest when people boil the franks in water, ugh. You can "mexicanize" those dogs by wrapping them in bacon, haha. I'm a big chili cheese dog fan

Ate at this sonora style hot dog place while visiting family in Tucson sometime back. It is for sure a different take on dogs and not for everyone but I enjoyed them.
Mule_lx
AG
I've bought whole tenderloins before from Costco to breakdown. I don't remember the chain being that big (feeding 8). I will have to remember that in the future though.
ValleyRatAg
AG
Yeah you're right on the head count. I usually save up the chain, it takes about 3 for my family if 5.
corndog04
AG
Need some advice again, Ags. I usually don't cook for large groups, but I've got lots of family heading up here to the NM mountains next week and I've been tasked with hosting everyone for dinner one night. 13-14 adults and 6 young kids, and fajitas have been requested. I can't eat much red meat and have no experience doing beef fajitas on the griddle. Additionally, I want to cook the meat an hour or two ahead of time so that things aren't too chaotic and also keep it from getting crazy smoky when everyone is here (36" blackstone is on a covered deck that also serves as our primary entertainment area).

I was thinking trying to knock out all of the meat in one early batch, and then near dinner time do a quick batch of veggies as well as hot dogs for the kids. My main questions are on how to handle the meat. My current thinking was to cook the steak whole, rest and slice, and then throw in instapot on warm with maybe a little water or marinade at the bottom to keep things moist. Is this a good plan of attack or is there a better approach?
Mule_lx
AG
I'd do the meat as you said, then put it the fridge. Slice it and then throw it on the griddle to warm back up and mix with the veggies.
Mule_lx
AG
Bam02, do you cook it from frozen as the directions state or do you thaw?
bam02
AG
Frozen. It's 100% thawed in 30 seconds.
Mule_lx
AG
Thank you. Doing them tomorrow night for the wife's birthday.
62strat
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

Lowe's has a Father's Day ad special for a 2 burner 30" blackstone for $198.00 and it looks like it comes with a cover and an a small accessory kit. Seems like a good deal, I may purchase it and see if they're for me.
link, or too late?
bam02
AG
Mule_lx said:

Thank you. Doing them tomorrow night for the wife's birthday.

How did it go?
Mule_lx
AG
It was on my to do list to report back today.

I thought it went really well. I'm still learning and need to get better at my space management even with a 36".

I used two sweet onions, three green and two red (huge) bells. Cooked that and moved it to the side. Added the meat. Cooked that and then mixed it all up. I toasted the inside of the buns with butter. Portioned filling and slapped some provolone on top to melt. Scooped it into the bread and served.

I did feed someone recently diagnosed as celiac. I bought gluten free sub rolls from Jersey Mike's for them. They're individually wrapped and got good reviews. Might be good for some of y'all to keep in your back pocket.
555-PINF
No pictures because I was juggling dinner and watching my mischievous 5yo, but I did CFS on the Blackstone on Sunday and it turned out great.

I typically pan fry my CFS, but didn't want to stink up the house, so I figured what the hell. Preheated the Blackstone to medium-high heat, put down some canola oil, and threw them on. 4 minutes, flip, and about 2 minutes and they were done. Cleanup was super easy, as always, and no smell or greasy kitchen to clean up afterward.
UnderoosAg
AG
MarylandAG said:

Hot dogs on the griddle, big thumbs up!!! I detest when people boil the franks in water, ugh. You can "mexicanize" those dogs by wrapping them in bacon, haha.

Excuse me, sir or ma'am, but I take exception to your notion on trying to "mexicanize" a hotdog.

The correct way is to stab it with a fork and burn it over an open flame on a gas stove.
lazuras_dc
AG
Anyone sear steaks on this thing?
RK
AG
I do on my blaze griddle. Works great.
aggieforester05
AG
https://searbq.com/collections/searbq-griddle-presses
Hwy30East
UnderoosAg said:

MarylandAG said:

Hot dogs on the griddle, big thumbs up!!! I detest when people boil the franks in water, ugh. You can "mexicanize" those dogs by wrapping them in bacon, haha.

Excuse me, sir or ma'am, but I take exception to your notion on trying to "mexicanize" a hotdog.

The correct way is to stab it with a fork and burn it over an open flame on a gas stove.

For hot dogs we started splitting them down the middle like Five Guys does with their hot dogs.
toolshed
AG
Only took a couple pictures but did burgers on the flat top Sunday for my son's 7th birthday party. Did some onions and jalapeños from the garden on the side as well.

AustinCountyAg
don't know how to post pics from my phone but cooked some philly cheesesteaks last night breaking in my new blackstone. came out fantastic
JYDog90
AG
Cooking fajita tacos on mine tonight. My family likes them tons better on the flat top than the charcoal grill
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Le Griddle installed, but not the gas yet. Gas should be in the next couple days.

Anybody have a griddle tool kit from Amazon they recommend? Most kits I have experienced in this kind of area are usually crappy and contain a bunch of things you never use. Trying to avoid that. Thanks.
toolshed
AG
I got most of what I needed at Kesco (Bryan), commercial kitchen supply. Heavier quality and like you said, nothing I didn't need.
Larry S Ross
AG
Go to an Ace hardware w a good bbq section and buy the Marlin brand cooking tools. You can pick and choose what you need individually. I really like them.
Good Day.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.