Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Ceviche

2,864 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by AggieOO
Big Country51
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone got a really good recipe? I am getting tired of my current one and want to revamp it a little bit
Gig-Em2003
AG
https://www.seriouseats.com/2015/07/cartagena-ceviche-lobster.html

I plan to make this soon.
pattymelt
AG
Pretty much any time I catch a red, snapper, or flounder, I'm catching for ceviche.

My go-to recipe is at least half fish/half veggies & mango.

Cut the fish into 1/3" or so pieces. Place into glass bowl or ziploc. Cover with FRESH SQUEEZED lime juice and a liberal amount of kosher salt. Let it cure in fridge for at least 4 hours or so. (All the outer surface of the fish should be white).

When the fish is done, make the pico.

I dice up equal parts tomato, cilantro, and mango. Add in a half part of a purple onion. Add in a serrano or two depending on the heat tolerance of your crowd.

Drain the lime juice from the fish and mix everything together in a large glass bowl.

Enjoy with chips or corn tortillas for some great fish tacos!

Pro tips: The lime juice makes great bloody marys and micheladas. Also, I squeeze out the extra liquid from my tomatoes before dicing them up to help prevent the ceviche from getting too soupy.

Probably not authentic but its what I love and am constantly having to send the recipe to friends.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Cube 1 pound fish, dice 1 small white onion, and cover with 1/2 cup lime juice. Refrigerate 1-4 hours depending on how "cooked" you want your fish.

Strain fish and onion. Chop 2 serranos, 1 tomato, 1/4 cup cilantro, 3 cloves garlic and add to fish with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Season with salt. Add diced avocado when ready to serve.
pattymelt
AG
Had never thought of adding the onion with the fish in the beginning to cut down on its potency. Gonna have to give that a try!
lazuras_dc
AG
I just made some today. Got limits of snapper on Saturday.

Here's my recipe and I think it's great !

Soak whole snapper fillets for 2-3 hrs
1/2cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4cup freshly squeezed lime juice

Then remove fish and drain and chop

Add and mix

2 large mangos, finely chopped
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1.5 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp Coarsely ground black pepper
2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1/2cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Cayenne
1tsp red pepper flakes
1 jalepeno seeded and diced
1 small roma tomato diced
Ornlu
AG
Is there any restaurant which serves decent Ceviche on DFW? I'd like to have some professionally prepared, good ceviche before I try to make it myself.
MemorialTXAg
Biggest mistake people make is soaking the fish in lime juice longer than 30 minutes. Anything over 2 hours destroys taste and texture of the fish.

I personally find 20 mins ideal. Soak in lime juice with thinly freshly cut onions (soak onion in water for 5 mins and drain first. This gets rid of strong oniony taste), fresh garlic. After 20 mins toss with cilantro, hot peppers (serano, habanero), add salt / pepper to taste. You can add avocado, mango, bell peppers for color; whatever you like. I don't add anything usually.
Summer Breeze
AG
Never made ceviche, but I had some on vacation in Mexico last week with fresh caught tuna from the Pacific. This thread makes me want some more.
TexAg2001
AG
I'm not particularly a fan of fish ceviche, but absolutely love shrimp ceviche. This is our go to recipe: https://www.laylita.com/recipes/ceviche-camaron-shrimp-ceviche/
TXAGEE
AG
I searched TexAgs for a ceviche recipe and found this thread. Roughly followed Silk Socking's recipe for this past weekend and it was delicious.
Lola68
This is a great recipe for shrimp: https://www.homesicktexan.com/pickled-shrimp-with-lime/

When I make ceviche, I never marinade it for longer than an hour. Fish and diced onion, cover with lime juice or other citrus, refrigerate for no more than an hour. Drain, add diced mango or pineapple, sliced or grated radish, chopped cilantro, diced serrano (sometimes mix it up and use canned chipotle in adobo) and diced avacado. Season to your preference.
AggieOO
MemorialTXAg said:

I personally find 20 mins ideal.
if the fish is fresh, sure. if you don't know where it came from (grocery store), i'd go longer.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.