Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

So in my effort to eat more meat, I bought some lamb chops.

3,481 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Tanya 93
Tanya 93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What do I do with them?

And nothing with wheat please.
MemorialTXAg
Let rest in a fridge for a few hours marinating in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and grill to medium rare.
schmendeler
AG
I'm not sure they are redeemable. Lamb is terrible.
TxSquarebody
Fire up the grill, rub lamb with course ground mustard, place on cedar shingle in the grill for 10 minutes. Remove from grill and eat the shingle.
momlaw
AG
It is kind of like if you've only eaten canned green beans or peas they are not a fave.

The suggestion above is good. Lots of options on the wwweb, I like to use cherries and red wine for saucing.
Garlic, rosemary, etc. always good.

Do not over cook, at all.

Be prepared, some dogs will cry while lamb is being cooked.
momlaw
Vernada
AG
TxSquarebody said:

Fire up the grill, rub lamb with course ground mustard, place on cedar shingle in the grill for 10 minutes. Remove from grill and eat the shingle.

+1

The exact recipe I was going to recommend.
HTownAg98
I'd like to know what some of you are doing to lamb to make it terrible.
Bruce Almighty
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I think lamb chops are one of those things where there is a fine line between great and disgusting. I will only cook them in a sous vide to make sure I get them exactly how I want. I do love a good lamb shank or shoulder roast though.
Tailgate88
AG
No Pressure said:

Let rest in a fridge for a few hours marinating in olive oil, garlic, rosemary, salt and pepper and grill to medium rare.

This.
Old RV Ag
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

HTownAg98 said:

I think lamb chops are one of those things where there is a fine line between great and disgusting. I will only cook them in a sous vide to make sure I get them exactly how I want. I do love a good lamb shank or shoulder roast though.
Bingo! So many people overlook the shoulder. A great slow cooked shoulder roast with all the right fixings and spices is an incredible meal.
Tanya 93
So what you are saying is this is probably going to be a failure?

What temp for medium rare for them? I spent enough on them, dammit we are eating them.

And I have liked lamb the few times I had it.
FIDO*98*
AG
Go with No Pressure's recipe and don't go past med rare and you'll be fine. I often will add chopped mint and lemon juice as well. I'd also liberally salt the meat with Kosher salt before the marinade instead of adding salt to the marinade to make sure you get it right.
schwack schwack
AG
We really like lamb chops. We grill sometimes but our preferred way is to cook on the stovetop - sear, then cover & turn down the heat. Olive oil in the pan and season up. I agree with No Pressure - Rosemary goes really well with lamb. We use Herbes de Provence and it's really good. La Madeleine has a version that's heavy on the rosemary that they use on their chicken & it's good, too. They get really tender.

TxSquarebody
HTownAg98 said:

That's a question for God.
TxSquarebody
Double post
biobioprof
reverse sear grilled. This recipe is for a pretty thick cut so regular sear may be fine for something thinner.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2012/07/how-to-grill-perfect-lamb-rib-or-loin-chops.html

sous vide

https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/food-lab-complete-guide-to-sous-vide-rack-of-lamb.html

internal temp target for med rare is about 130 F. But note that chops can carry over and overshoot in the grilling method.

Be sure to salt them beforehand. Kenji salts and then rests for 40 min. This post is for beef, but it's similar for lamb.

https://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/the-food-lab-more-tips-for-perfect-steaks.html

I frequently buy frozen loin chops from Rosenthal and do them sous vide at 125-130 F for an hour or so followed by searing in a cast iron pan. These aren't as pretty as racks/rib chops, but they're tasty and much cheaper. Getting around the bones is a bit of a pain.

For more ambitious prep, Julia Child has a recipe for a oven roasted rack of lamb with a mustard breadcrumb crust that is a classic. Thomas Keller version here:

https://www.winespectator.com/articles/dining-tip-thomas-kellers-herb-crusted-rack-of-lamb-42411

Any of the bbq folks ever smoke a leg of lamb like a brisket? A former colleague used to do that and it was great.

RGV AG
AG
Lamb chops are wonderful, grill, sear, bake however you find easiest and make a rich gravy to go with them. My daughter loves lamb, but only with mint jelly as do I. Lamb is a good lean meat and if you ever do a leg of lamb the best part is the stew that can be made with leftovers.

Good for you.
proudtxag
AG
No Pressure said:

We do this exact recipe all the time but add Soy Sauce with the olive oil. Comes out great!
Can also add an acid, splash in white wine vinegar if you want to notch it up a little.
HTownAg98
I do the Alton Brown leg of lamb recipe quite often. I'll smoke it with some rosemary on the coals for an hour or so until it hits about 125, then crank the heat to sear the outside. Ends up being medium, which I think is perfect for leg.
Old RV Ag
AG
TxSquarebody said:

Double post
Now we all know why you have problems preparing lamb correctly.
Tumble Weed
The first rule about Rosenthal's is not mentioning Rosenthal's
TxSquarebody
Old RV Ag said:

TxSquarebody said:

Double post

Never said I couldn't prepare it correctly. I said it was inedible!
Old RV Ag
AG
TxSquarebody said:

Old RV Ag said:

TxSquarebody said:

Double post

Never said I couldn't prepare it correctly. I said it was inedible!
Double cooking always will make it inedible!
Tanya 93
Did the olive oil, garlic, and rosemary.

Grilled them til kinda charred but medium rare.

Served them with couscous, spinach salad, and grilled peaches.

Benny loved them
He wanted the leftovers in his lunch the next day.

Thanks!
TxSquarebody
Glad it came out well for you!
Tanya 93
TxSquarebody said:

Glad it came out well for you!

I got more at the farmer's market this morning.
She threw in 2 extra, since I bought the chops, flank steak, sausage, and beef jerky.
She adores Benny. Always has a snack for him to eat while shopping.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.