Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Oregon Wines?

3,444 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by bularry
mpl35
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Help me make sure the wife and I have a great time. Recs for Wineries, Vineyards, and even food. I have 4 days. Napa threads on here really paid off 2 years ago.

Crossposted in Travel
HTownAg98
I've heard from friends that Domaine Serene is worth going to. That's about the extent of my Oregon Pinot knowledge.
hbc07
AG
Domaine Drouhin, Owen Roe, Sokol-Blosser, Ken Wright - i'm sure there are others worth while.
mpl35
AG
Thanks.
Tanya 93
Hillcrest Vineyards in Roseburg, OR.

Birthplace of the Oregon Pinot Noir.

The man who started it was so awesome and knowledgeable. And apparently the people who bought it are carrying on the tradition of explaining where the grapes originated and showing visitors the process of how they make it.

I don't drink now, but I remember the pinot and cabernet being really good.
JYDog90
AG
L' Ecole is up there isn't it?

I had a bottle of L'Ecole 41 that was one of the best wines I've ever had.
Formerly Willy Wonka
BigAg95
AG
We enjoyed visits to Sokol Blosser, I'ecole, and a great extravagant dinner at the Painted Lady.
Matsui
AG
It shows they are in Lowden, WA
mpl35
AG
Matsui said:

It shows they are in Lowden, WA

Yep. They are a Columbia Valley winery near Walla Walla WA. Been there a couple of times when we lived in Pullman WA.
La Fours
AG
It's been a long time since I had their wine, but I really enjoyed the Pinot Noir I had from Anam Cara when I was in Portland about 10 years ago.

https://www.anamcaracellars.com/
jh0400
AG
Archery Summit
Beaux Freres
Penner-Ash

If you like beer, Apex bar is great.
BigAg95
AG
Agree on Penner Ash.

Trisaetum, Four Graces, and Dukes were a few others we enjoyed. Dukes was just a tasting room in a barn at that time, not sure what they have going on these days.
jaggiemaggie
AG
Went last March, got an Airbnb in Mcminnville.

Visited:
Four graces
Vidon - founder was a Former Nasa engineer/geologist
Willamette Valley, Cristom
Eyrie Vineyard -has library selection for tasting
Keeler
bularry
BigAg95 said:

Agree on Penner Ash.

Trisaetum, Four Graces, and Dukes were a few others we enjoyed. Dukes was just a tasting room in a barn at that time, not sure what they have going on these days.
heartily disagree on Penner Ash, unless going to a mall and drinking bad, but expensive wine, is your idea of a good time. Just my $0.02 on them.

if you want to taste really classy pinot and chard (but not cheap) then I'd look into Big Table Farm and Bergstrom.
notheranymore
White Rose
FarmerJohn
AG
+1 on Trisaetum. Bergstrom has good stuff but really pricey. Soter does both Pinot and sparkling well, with a great tasting room.
big-ag
AG
We are going in a few months.

Hitting Shea, Walter Scott, Bethel Heights, Ayoub, Arterberry Maresh, Penner Ash, Trisaetum, Soter, and Domaine Serene.

We've hit Beaux Freres before. Wine was fantastic but the experience was meh.
aggiespartan
AG
I haven't seen Erath mentioned. The assistant winemaker there is an Aggie.
bularry
big-ag said:

We are going in a few months.

Hitting Shea, Walter Scott, Bethel Heights, Ayoub, Arterberry Maresh, Penner Ash, Trisaetum, Soter, and Domaine Serene.

We've hit Beaux Freres before. Wine was fantastic but the experience was meh.
good call on Arterberry Maresh. They make some nice juice.

Colene Clemens is good, too, and a bit smaller than many others mentioned on this thread
DPlainview
AG
bularry said:

BigAg95 said:

heartily disagree on Penner Ash, unless going to a mall and drinking bad, but expensive wine, is your idea of a good time. Just my $0.02 on them.

Are you sure you are thinking of the same place? We had a GREAT experience at Penner-Ash - gorgeous vineyards - and they are some of the most respected wines in the area. Highly recommended.

Two slightly more "tour" friendly but still great wines are Domaine Serene and Domaine Drouhin. Both are great visits.

A more off the beaten path but great wine: Alexana.

Popovich's place in Rex Hill is good.

Wolves and People Brewery is a good visit for something different if you like farmhouse brews and sours.
(If you like those types of beers and end up in Bend, do NOT miss the Ale Apothecary)
mpl35
AG
We will be in Bend for a few days. We have been there before and are dropping by for a couple of days since we like it.

Lots of great suggestions so thanks to everybody! We usually aren't big on tours and do like smaller more laid back vineyards. For comparison, in Napa we loved Venge the best and also enjoyed Bryan Arden for a smaller place . Some of the bigger corporate places were too crowded.
Jefe07
AG
Ponzi Vineyards was an amazing place. Super modern tasting room. Beautiful views. We didn't drink a whole lot of their wines, but I'm glad we stopped and hung out for a while. Very nice lady who ran the tasting room, too. We were there at end of January, so it was empty.
chilidogfood
AG
prisschris said:

White Rose
Came here to post this. They are proud of their juice, but it's so good and the view at the top of the mountain is nice.

Also Stoller is a cool place and they have a really nice outdoor area.
MaterialAg
AG
Brooks Winery in Amity - you won't regret it.
bularry
DPlainview said:

bularry said:

BigAg95 said:

Are you sure you are thinking of the same place? We had a GREAT experience at Penner-Ash - gorgeous vineyards - and they are some of the most respected wines in the area. Highly recommended.

Two slightly more "tour" friendly but still great wines are Domaine Serene and Domaine Drouhin. Both are great visits.

A more off the beaten path but great wine: Alexana.

Popovich's place in Rex Hill is good.

Wolves and People Brewery is a good visit for something different if you like farmhouse brews and sours.
(If you like those types of beers and end up in Bend, do NOT miss the Ale Apothecary)
I know it. They are owned by Jackson, which isn't good or bad, but I think "respected" is up for debate.

again, only expressing my opinion, you can certainly disagree. and yes, a pretty view from the patio.
DPlainview
AG
Absolutely right to have your opinion! Perhaps I was thrown off by the "mall" comment and thought you had been to a random tasting room somewhere and not the winery.

I was a bit shocked when they sold to Jackson back in 2016 (2017?). That being said, Lynn is still making the wine and I don't begrudge her cashing out when she could.

(removed:10EA24-2)
Sardinian wine

I need those grapevines
bularry
a couple of others that came to me Evesham Wood and Belle Pente. smaller production places that make high quality pinot.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.