Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Gulf Shores recommendations

2,705 Views | 11 Replies | Last: 2 yr ago by Jackal99
rooftop18403
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Making our first family trip to GS later in July. What's a must and what's overrated.
OneProudAg
AG
My kids love the Hangout. Tons of other kids and normally have live music.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
There aren't many superb options, but I enjoyed the following:
  • Sea N Suds - Nice big deck over the sand to eat or hang out with a beer while you wait for a table
  • Bahama Bob's - Enjoyed the crablegs and sitting at the bar drinking and talking college football crap with other folks from SEC states
  • S&S Seafood Market - To-go spot. We grabbed some good seafood plates and walked across the street to eat them on the beach.

As I'm sure you're aware, the sand in Gulf Shores is pristine. I'd recommend spending as much time on the beach as possible and just soaking it all in. Depending on where you're staying, you can likely walk the shoreline to and from the restaurant. Enjoy it!
I should be studying 11
AG
We go to Gulf Shores/Orange Beach every summer. Love it.

Our normal spots are:
  • Gulf Shores Steamer
  • The Gulf Restaurant
  • Playa
  • Cosmos
  • Pink Pony Pub (mostly for the drinks but the seafood nachos are good too!)

Will be heading there in a couple of months myself and can't wait!
bobsterxxx
AG
DeSoto's Seafood Kitchen - low key atmosphere, really good food
bobsterxxx
AG
DeSotos Seafood Kitchen - very good food; low key atmosphere
Potcake
AG
Granted, it's been almost 15 years since we've been there but King Neptune's was good as well as Tin Top Restaurant on Bon Secour Bay. At least have some beers and/or a Bushwhacker at the FloraBama.
Big Country51
AG
Hangout is a good atmosphere. My favorite place to go is the Flora-Bama. Great bar on the beach and kids can run around. Drink a Bushwacker for me
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Headed to Orange Beach on Tuesday with the wife and a 6 year old and a 3.5 year old. Any other recommendations? We are at one of the Phoenixes. Don't remember which one, but it is the one with the splash pad thing. We are booked for a dolphin tour on the glass bottom boat. Anything else we should do, or can't miss place to eat? I have heard bad things about restaurants being too packed and huge wait times. We will try eating early. Any other tips? Is door dash an option? Stuff the kids with microwave nuggets and then order grown up food for me and the wife?
bcasey03
AG
Mine liked the pirate breakfast at the hangout. Burgers/shakes at sunliner diner.
I should be studying 11
AG
Flora Bama Yacht Club. The restaurant is right on the water (bay side) and has a sandy beach the kids can play in if there is a wait. Pretty good food too.

If you are staying in Orange Beach there is a Shrimp Basket down by Turquoise Place that typically doesn't get too crowded. I would think an early dinner there would get you seated right away.

The Gulf restaurant in Orange Beach is another good kid-friendly place. It's right by the pass and has a big sandy area where kids can play. You order food at the counter (kitchen is a CONEX) and then go sit down and they bring you your food. Even when it's crowded it's never been a bad time with our 3 kids.
Jackal99
AG
Lulu's is good for kids. Decent food, fun atmosphere and lots of things for them to do (ropes course, arcade, sand). No idea on crowds, though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.