Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Family people, how much on groceries per week

7,306 Views | 54 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by 62strat
chipotle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Talking with a buddy last night and his was in the 250-300 range. With dry goods in all I'd say we're at 100-120 range with eating out for dinner once a week.

Family of 4 btw
aggie orbitalwelder
We spend about $150-200 a week for three of us.
Belton Ag
AG
aggie orbitalwelder said:

This. We budget $150 per week for our family of 4, sometimes it's more, sometimes it's less.

I can't imagine what they're buying if they spend $250-300 every week.
Tanya 93
It depends on finding loss leaders or great sales.

Probably around 160 for a family of three with a gf kid and farmer's market purchases and doing a lot of organic and free range.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
We spend $150-200 on just the two of us. We buy very little prepackaged food. We spend atleast $50 at the meat/seafood counter and $25-30 on spirits, usually a bottle of wine. $25-30 on fresh fruits and vegetables, $15-20 on coffee.

Grocery shopping is not where I try to save, because if I like what I have at the house it stops us from ordering out

Definitely have had 300 weeks but that usually includes a $40 brisket or some fancy seafood or steak, bottle of wine or cheese
Bruce Almighty
AG
$300 / week for the three of us. I'm not the best shopper in the world and my wife refuses to do it.
hbc07
AG
Family of 2, trying to stick to $50 a week. doesn't always happen
John Francis Donaghy
About $100/week shopping at a "fancy" grocery like Central Market for two. Little one is still on the boob, but I expect to go up to $130 or so once I need to buy real food for 3.

Agree with the poster above about not trying to skimp on groceries. We buy good food from a high end store and eat well at home. If I try to skimp on groceries, we end up ordering out, and one extra takeout order in a week negates all the savings I got from cheaping out at the store, and is almost certainly less healthy.
jh0400
AG
We spend around $200 per week for two, but we eat at home at least five nights per week and six most weeks. I like to cook, and usually cook a nice dinner on Saturday nights which adds to the expense. We also buy very little in the way of processed foods.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Yeah trying to by minimally processed food gets expensive quick
BanderaAg956
$250-$300 a week for family of four adults, 3 dogs, and no telling how many cats! Animals probably eat better than adults. Plus, my wife buys so many hair and skin products along with cleaning products. When it is just the boys and I shopping $150-$200 a week including junk food!
Vernada
AG
Family of 4.

Usually about $100/week on the 'big' shopping trip.

Maybe about $20-$30 Friday run.

Excluding alcohol.

Probably eat out as a family on average 2x per week.
chipotle
drevans956 said:

$250-$300 a week for family of four adults, 3 dogs, and no telling how many cats! Animals probably eat better than adults. Plus, my wife buys so many hair and skin products along with cleaning products. When it is just the boys and I shopping $150-$200 a week including junk food

Yep, probably spend about 20/wk on our cat and dog for food. This doesn't include the dog's meds.
62strat
AG
Belton Ag said:

My parents will visit us for just a 3 day weekend and they'll easily drop $150 at the grocery store.. then another $100 at the wine store.

It's all about standard of living. They'll get $50 worth for 2 pounds of cheese to have with wine, whereas in our budget we buy a $5 lb. block of house brand cheddar! My mom will also buy those olive oils that I don't even look at in fear of knowing the price.

End Of Message
AG
$404 at central market for a family of five.
Resistance to tyranny is obedience to God.
ATM9000
AG
'Groceries' is a lose term. We spend as a family of 4 about 275 on average weekly... but we also buy toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc at the grocery store to save trips to other stores and such. That stuff adds up significantly to a bill and I know I don't partition them from 'groceries' and I'd imagine it is similar to most people on this thread.
62strat
AG
Currently we can usually get by on $100 a week for family of 4.

But it's really more like $75 for 5 dinners, then sat/sun meals, because kids are in full time daycare which includes lunch and snacks, and wife and I are pretty frugal for lunch at work spending only $10-$12 a week each. For breakfast, kids eat a breakfast bar and banana which is all $1-$2/wk each, my work provides granola bars and such and wife doesn't eat breakfast.

Kids get fast food on friday nights, we get pizza or other takeout. That's the extent of our dining out. Still on a strict daycare budget which doesn't include eating out often.

62strat
AG
ATM9000 said:

but we also buy toiletries, cleaning supplies, etc at the grocery store to save trips to other stores and such.
Yeh this is separate. I buy this stuff in bulk and typically have it delivered from costco or amazon prime now.
TxAg20
AG
Year to date, average $1,163.87/month or $268.79/week. Last year averaged $1,046.47/month or $241.68/week.

That includes all money spent at grocery stores, so includes toiletries and cleaning supplies.

Edit: Family of 4. We eat dinner at home 5-6 night a week. Eat breakfast at home 5-6 days/week. Lunch at home 3-4 times/week.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I did include toiletries in my number but not pet food. Both hounds are prescription food.

I try to stay away from Amazon for groceries and toiletries they usually price compare equally to H-E-B. I'd rather spend my money at H-E-B or Central Market. I won't shop at Walmart no matter how good the deal based on past dealings and own politics.
jtp01
AG
Family of 4. We keep it around 100.00/wk but we butcher our own beef, so some huge savings for us and we know where our beef comes from. We supplement from our veggie garden in the spring and summer.

We live 17 miles from the nearest store and 20 from a decent grocery store so we make what we have work. We eat virtually every meal at home (my youngest son is an allergy kid).
Belton Ag
AG
62strat said:

Belton Ag said:

My parents will visit us for just a 3 day weekend and they'll easily drop $150 at the grocery store.. then another $100 at the wine store.

It's all about standard of living. They'll get $20 worth for 2 pounds of cheese to have with wine, whereas in our budget we buy a $5 lb. block of house brand cheddar! My mom will also buy those olive oils that I don't even look at in fear of knowing the price.

If you're dropping $100 every 3 days at the wine store I'd say your standard of living is "Alcoholic."
62strat
AG
Belton Ag said:

62strat said:

Belton Ag said:

It's all about standard of living. They'll get $20 worth for 2 pounds of cheese to have with wine, whereas in our budget we buy a $5 lb. block of house brand cheddar! My mom will also buy those olive oils that I don't even look at in fear of knowing the price.

If you're dropping $100 every 3 days at the wine store I'd say your standard of living is "Alcoholic."
You must know nothing about the price range of wine.

Also, hah I see I put $20 for 2 lbs of cheese, sounds like they're living large huh?

That was supposed to be $50.
Belton Ag
AG
62strat said:

Belton Ag said:

62strat said:

Belton Ag said:

Also, hah I see I put $20 for 2 lbs of cheese, sounds like they're living large huh?

Oh I know it can get pricey.

I guess if your wine budget is $12,000 per year, I guess it doesn't really matter how much you're spending on groceries.
BlueMiles
AG
Sadly, a 3-day weekend is not the same thing as every 3 days.
John Francis Donaghy
Belton Ag said:

62strat said:

Belton Ag said:

62strat said:

Belton Ag said:

I guess if your wine budget is $12,000 per year, I guess it doesn't really matter how much you're spending on groceries.

How many 3 day weekends do you get in a year?
AggieBarstool
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Yeah trying to by minimally processed food gets expensive quick
No it doesn't.

My wife and I (no kids) spend ~$90-100/wk. (not including things like paper goods or toiletries). We don't buy or eat junk food. We focus on low-carb and eat mostly meats, veggies, fruits, and some dairy/fat.

Toiletries and paper goods, bulk stuff for the house, and related stuff is $150/mo.

Coffee/alcohol is on a different line item in the budget and hovers around $50/mo. for two people. Sometimes we barely touch this. Sometimes we max it out.

Our "dining out" is once per week and we alternate between "fast" food, a normal sit-down place, and a really nice place every now and then - $150/mo.
TXAG 05
AG
hbc07 said:

Dang. Do y'all eat a lot of rice, beans, and ramen?

rilloaggie
AG
I will echo this. If we are excluding things like cleaning supplies, booze, and sticking with just food my wife and I spend about $100 per week. We cook breakfast at least 6 days a week, lunch 3-4 days a week, and dinner 5 days a week. We shop the outside ring of the grocery store and really don't hit the middle other than the spice aisle and a few other odds and ends. We eat GOOD! Definitely not penny pinching, and buy plenty of "fancy" cheese, lunch meat, and fresh fish.

I am gonna put on my best Tanya impression and give you some frugal shopping tips!

Buy a whole chicken and learn how to cut it up. you get 2 breasts, 2 thighs, 2 legs, and 4 wings(I know chicken's only have two wings but when you break em down like they are typically served it ends up being 4 pieces) for the price you'd pay for 2 breast alone. Make a meal from the breasts, another from the dark meet. Save the wings in a zip lock in the freezer until you get enough to make a meal out of. Use the leftover bones to make chicken stock that will have your bone broth buying hippie friends jealous of you. The wife and I get 2-3 meals out of a ~$6 chicken easy.

Eggs-Cheap and good protein. We both eat three eggs just about every day. Fried, scrambled, omelettes, whatever. Cheap, good, healthy.

Veggies- they are dang near free. I can usually get 3lbs of onions for $2. Carrots are a buck a pound, celery a buck a bunch. These come in handy for making stock, snacks, and plenty of other recipes. Zucchini/Squash is $1 a pound. Broccoli, asparagus, and green beans can usually be found for $1 a pound. Cabbage is like 50 cents a pound.

Spices- Skip the big grocery stores on these unless you are buying Fiesta brand-they are good spices at a reasonable price. If you are in Houston go to Phoenicia and load up on spices. I can get a 6oz can of cumin for $2.25. The 1oz of McCormicks at HEB or Kroger costs like $4. The Arabic/Indian/Mexican grocery stores don't kill you on spice prices like the big stores do.

We don't do a ton of carbs but if you do, flour is about the cheapest per pound calorie you will find. You could probably make pancakes for a family of 4 for about 75 cents.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Food in Texas must be really cheap. Asparagus a dollar a pound? I bought some today on sale at 2.50 a pound. Green beans also on sale for over 2 dollars a pound.
rilloaggie
AG
Just double checked the HEB website. 1lb bunch of asparagus for $.85 and green beans for $.98 a pound.
aggiespartan
AG
Cstrickland05 said:

hbc07 said:

Dang. Do y'all eat a lot of rice, beans, and ramen?

This isn't really counting the bulk meat we buy at Costco. We stock up when things are on sale and don't have to buy much more than vegetables, drinks, and snacks most weeks.
chipotle
Helps a lot to have a vacuum sealer and buy proteins in bulk or near expired so you can buy cheap and freeze at home.

I tried the buying hole chicken thing but I got too frustrated deboning (messy) but I can see how that would save a good bit of change.
Matsui
AG
Family of 3 $200
Per week.
62strat
AG
Belton Ag said:

62strat said:

Belton Ag said:

62strat said:

Belton Ag said:

That's my point.. I don't know how you 'can't imagine' how a family can spend $300 a week on groceries.. Buying gourmet stuff like cheeses, oils, etc, eating more expensive meat than just ground beef or chicken every night, buying $8/gal. Horizon milk instead of the $2/gal generic brand. Buying those $7 - 32oz POM juices instead of a $2 gallon of store high fructose juice..

There are hundreds of ways to buy what is essentially the same amount of 'stuff' (food), but spend 2x-3x (or more) money.

I'm guessing my parents don't spend $12k/yr on wine, but I bet they spend half that, if you include both packaged and restaurant/bar spend. The concept of a budget and my mom at the grocery store never cross paths.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.