Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Chicago Restaurant recommendations

4,563 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by mslags97
Mule_lx
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Whataburger.
Max Power
AG
Mule_lx said:

Whataburger.
ursusguy
AG
Kuma's burgers are really good
MichaelJ
AG
Portillos for Italian beef
thisguy05
AG
Haymarket brewery! Not sure they distribute, but you can go to the brewery. It's on Randolph, where a lot of the mentioned restaurants are.
mts6175
AG
Have not been in a while, but Chicago Chop House is still one of the best steaks I've ever had. I sent one of my customers there earlier this year and he said the same when he got back. Add to the food, the environment is pretty cool. It's an old speakeasy. You go down to the basement bar to wait for your table, there's all kinds of old gangster pictures on the wall. The upstairs where the tables are there is other Chicago history stuff everywhere. Just a cool spot.
Summer Breeze
AG
I might be too late, but we took a family vacation to Chicago last summer. We stayed at an AirBNB apartment and stumbled on a restaurant called "Cheesies." It has all manner of grilled cheese and cold beers. We ate there three times during our trip, and my teenage boys still bring it up when we can't decide what to have for dinner. Not fancy, but still awesome.
mslags97
AG
Still in Chicago, but I wanted to give an update. We are at Band of Bohemia tonight. Amazing experience. It's a Michelin Star rated Gastropub, and everything was incredible. We did the tasting menu, and it didn't disappoint. My wife had the wine pairing, and I did the beer pairing so we could try both. Excellent choice. They also have some unique cocktails and a very knowledgeable and friendly bar staff. Incredible experience, and I highly recommend it.
Windy City Ag
AG
Quote:

Pizzeria Uno downtown on E Ohio St. (Which is NOT the same as Uno's Pizza).

Actually, they are the same company but I found the Uno experience to be better in the original locales vs what you get at the suburban strip malls throughout the country.
Windy City Ag
AG
All good recs here . . for the local beers times two on Haymarket.

Goose Island still does a few small batch offers at the brewery there. It is pretty global now that is part of InBev.

Half Acre is great as well. I like the Daisy Cutter.

Finally, Piece Pizza in Bucktown has its own Hefeweizen that is really awesome. That place in general is really awesome.
92Ag95
AG
Chicago Chop House

EOT
Aggie09Derek
AG
Haymarket is a good time - good beers and great spot if hanging around the west loop.

Green Street meats right down the street is also pretty cool place to just grab a drink and maybe munch on some texas style bbq. Ramen place in basement is also pretty good but VERY small.
dave99ag
AG
Headed there in a few weeks for a conference staying in the New East Side area. Looks like I'll have some good options for beer and food nearby since we'll probably just walk / Uber for everything.
TXAG 05
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

Actually, they are the same company but I found the Uno experience to be better in the original locales vs what you get at the suburban strip malls throughout the country.

I'll second the original Uno on Ohio. Liked it the best out of them, Giordanos and Malnatis.
1208HawkTree
AG
Windy City Ag said:

Quote:

Maybe a spin-off but their pizzas are totally different, right? I know Pizzeria Uno and Due have expanded to shipping online, etc., but I was told by my FIL that turned me on to it (Italian family, born and raised in Chicago) that they were not the same. This was nearly 20 years ago he told me this, though.
mslags97
AG
Had Spiaggia last night. Another great meal. Food was absolutely beautiful and the tastes matched accordingly. Wine pairings were amazing and perfectly matched as well. (We did the 8 course tasting menu)

Truly great experience, and I don't have a negative thing to say about it! Not one.

But, I would rate the experience behind Band of Bohemia because of the setting, ambiance, and just the different feel BoB had. Don't get me wrong, the food was definitely a notch better at Spiaggia, but the feel is kinda stale and impersonal. Lots of grays and whites and blacks in the decor. Very impersonal and professional. Very businesslike. Didn't get the feeling they loved what they were doing like the staff at Bohemia. They were just going through the motions. Except for the Sommelier. He was excellent and clearly loved what he was doing. And he was VERY good at it.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.