Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best things to smoke from La Michoacana?

13,423 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Attoyac
MarylandAG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Almost forgot....before you wrap that half onion in foil to drop in the coals use it clean the grill grates!!! Cut side down, use some tongs and scrub the grates!!!'
MarylandAG
If you are in Houston you can get the split leg quarters at HEB Mi Tienda on West Little York and 59. They sell them preseason, so just throw them on the grill. I prefer to season myself if I can find them not seasoned.
Ag_07
AG
Cowboy Curtis said:

Are those B-1 Beans?

Fall92
AG
MarylandAG said:

Almost forgot....before you wrap that half onion in foil to drop in the coals use it clean the grill grates!!! Cut side down, use some tongs and scrub the grates!!!'
My dad used to do this as do I. Highly recommend.
HTownAg98
Wait, are you saying you use the half that you clean the grill with, then wrap it in foil, cook it, and eat it?
MarylandAG
No, you don't eat it. You just wrap it in foil, poke holes in the foil, drop it on the coals, and it gives of this awesome aroma, sort of infuses the food with that onion flavor, albeit mild nothing overwhelming. So use the onion to clean the grill, then why waste it, wrap it and let it do it's thing. 98 your are much more knowledgeable than I am, but it also sort of makes the grill a bit non-stick if you will, I'm guessing the onion has oils in it or something,and when you basically use it as a scouring pad, that rends the grill somewhat non-stick, make sense?
Fall92
AG
What Maryland said. Also, while you use it to clean the grill, it coats it w/ onion oil/juice.
Txmoe
AG
MarylandAG said:

No, you don't eat it. You just wrap it in foil, poke holes in the foil, drop it on the coals, and it gives of this awesome aroma, sort of infuses the food with that onion flavor, albeit mild nothing overwhelming. So use the onion to clean the grill, then why waste it, wrap it and let it do it's thing. 98 your are much more knowledgeable than I am, but it also sort of makes the grill a bit non-stick if you will, I'm guessing the onion has oils in it or something,and when you basically use it as a scouring pad, that rends the grill somewhat non-stick, make sense?
You just taught this old dog a new trick!
MarylandAG
For what it's worth I clean my grill when it's hot, so I just cut the onion in half and use either a long pair of tongs or the fork from a bbq tool set (it's real only useful purpose ) to "scour" the grill surface, then I wrap, poke, and toss in the coals

I'm 50 so grew up in the 70's-80's, I have early memories of my dad using a paper grocery bag (obviously before plastic bags became common place), he use to clean it when the mesquite logs were just dying down, hardcore, old school, haha. Good memories but yeah the onion "scour pad" is an upgrade over the paper bag.
Tailgate88
AG
MarylandAG said:

For what it's worth I clean my grill when it's hot, so I just cut the onion in half and use either a long pair of tongs or the fork from a bbq tool set (it's real only useful purpose ) to "scour" the grill surface, then I wrap, poke, and toss in the coals

I'm 50 so grew up in the 70's-80's, I have early memories of my dad using a paper grocery bag (obviously before plastic bags became common place), he use to clean it when the mesquite logs were just dying down, hardcore, old school, haha. Good memories but yeah the onion "scour pad" is an upgrade over the paper bag.
Do you peel the onion? So just cut an onion in half, save half for something else and use half to clean the grill, then wrap in foil, poke a bunch of holes in the foil, and throw it in the coals?

Never heard of this but I'll try it. Easier than the Alton Brown method of spritzing with olive oil and using paper towels and tongs....
RGV AG
AG
I also like using a sour orange, lots of acid and works good too.

My preferred method is to you my hand and a welding glove to get lots of pressure on the grill. Another tip I was given was to use an onion to clean the grill after you use it while it is still hot. I like doing this to as it removes some of the built up grease so the next time more of the onion oil and bit stays on the grill when you clean it pre grilling.
MarylandAG
Tailgate, that is exactly what I do, no need to peel, cut it in half and go, save the other half for something else ( if you want you can wrap it also and chunk it on the coals, I usually throw in a few halves).

RV I've never heard of the sour orange trick. Sour oranges (aka Seville oranges) are fantastic for marinading, I can never find them in Houston so if anyone knows of a source let me know.

I do like the welding glove idea, the more pressure you get the better the "clean". I've always just used Long tongs or a bbq fork and pressed down with some pressure.
Tailgate88
AG
All right, well I'm grilling tonight so I'm going to use half of the onion to clean it pre-grill and throw it in the fire, and the other half to clean the grates when I take the meat off.

I guess an old dog can learn a new trick! Thanks guys!
RGV AG
AG
Sale carnal!!! Hope you enjoy.
AgDad77
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Cabrito
Attoyac
Those look incredibly good. Larapin good, like my grandfather used to say. Can you please tell me how you seasoned the Tablitas AG_07 ? Thanks.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.