Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Best things to smoke from La Michoacana?

13,175 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Attoyac
Txmoe
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in the mood to throw a bunch of stuff in the smoker this weekend but I don't have time for much prep. Was thinking I'd grab some stuff from LM. Anybody smoke/grill their stuff? Any recommendations?
HTownAg98
Costillas de res.
rlb28
AG
At our Mexican meat market they have chicken, beef, pork that is marinated and the same that is not. I've done all the marinated meat and it's all good.
DiskoTroop
Cross cut short ribs. They have a pre-marinaded one that's really really good. I typically hate premarinaded anything but man these things are good.
HTownAg98
Yep. They're cut thin enough that you can cook them hot and fast.

Mollejas are really good too, but they're super rich.
RGV AG
AG
Have a buddy that low and slow smokes mollejas and they are outstanding. On the mollejas you have to boil first.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Cabrito
Fall92
AG
Michoacana has cabrito?
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
They used to, been a while
Mathguy64
AG
Stopped by ours on the way home and got the cross cut ribs and some fajitas. Did the ribs hot and fast and they didn't last long. The fire is calming down for the fajitas later.
Txmoe
AG
mathguy86 said:

Stopped by ours on the way home and got the cross cut ribs and some fajitas. Did the ribs hot and fast and they didn't last long. The fire is calming down for the fajitas later.
La Michoacana owes HTown a commission cuz I did exactly the same thing. Will cook everything tomorrow.
Mathguy64
AG
Anyone ever get their green marinated chicken? I always get the red skirt steak for fajitas. And now I will spend more $$ on the costillas.
MarylandAG
We call those ribs "tablitas" or English cut. My kids will eat a mountain of them. The pre marinated are good, I've also found that you can get the non marinated and season with Montreal steak seasoning and nothing else... legit!!! As stated above make sure the grill is hot so you can get the right texture!!!
RGV AG
AG
My absolute favorite thing to grill. Costillas are just wonderful. Wrapped in a corn tortilla, eat around the bone with some limey and spicy pico there is nothing better. The thing about the Mexican meat markets, usually, is that they get the thickness right on the cut based on the marbling/quality of the meat.
combat wombat™
AG
I like the marinated chicken breast. The butterfly it, so cooks fast. I like it charred, so I cook it hot.

I also bought their pork chops to make fried pork chops on father's day. They were great. I no longer buy pork chops at Kroger. They are gross (they're adulterated with added saltwater so they never come out right).
RGV AG
AG
One other cut of meat that they will have at Mexican meat markets are "Agujas", I highly recommend them as well. Grill the same as costillas and fajitas and they are very good. It is one of the cuts that we cleaver up to make street tacos out of. They are usually around the $2 to 3.50 a pound range. If you dont see em's, ask for them.
BarryProfit
So to clarify, don't smoke the Costillas but grill them?
RGV AG
AG
I would say so, but you can offset grill costillas as well, kinda like smoking.
HTownAg98
You can do either, but I prefer to do those grilled really hot. You need that high heat to break down the fat so they aren't so chewy. The ones from HEB are cut slightly thicker, and are better cooked low and slow. Even then, they only take about 2-3 hours to cook.
MarylandAG
Grill them hot like 98 says. The other thing for Houston folks, you can go to B&W Meat Market on Shepherd and get them custom cut to whatever thickness you want. You just pick the "chunk of ribs" ( for lack of a better thing to call it) and ask the butcher to cut it whatever thickness you want.

http://www.bwmeatcompany.com/

If memory serves they sell them as " short ribs"
DiskoTroop
This thread made me want those short ribs. Tablitas. Whatever you call them. Went and got some and Cooked them up. They were great!
LawHall88
AG
phideaux_2003 said:

This thread made me want those short ribs. Tablitas. Whatever you call them. Went and got some and Cooked them up. They were great!
Picked up 3 pounds to grill on the 4th. God Bless America!
HTownAg98
Has anyone had the costillas de puerco (cross cut pork ribs)? I may have to try those soon.
Ag_07
AG
Stopped at El Rancho today and picked up some pre marinated tablitas and stuff to make the Best Pinto Beans Ever recipe from the OB.

We'll see how these come out.
Tailgate88
AG
All right I'm intrigued! I will be trying several of these recipes soon!
Ag_07
AG
Tablitas are my new favorite thing!

Turned out great! Had them right off the bone and leftovers were used to make tacos last night.

RK
AG
how'd you cook?
RGV AG
AG
They are good aren't they? Try Agujas sometime, I like them a lot too.

When I was a kid our housekeeper would make both Mexican rice and Fideo with cut up costillas in the dish and it is/was so good.

You can also sear costillas with onion and peppers in a skillet and they come out great.
Ag_07
AG
Over hot coals and quick

Just like you would fajitas. I probably didn't have the coals as hot I'd like but I was hungry. Took me about 10 mins to cook

Tailgate88
AG
I wanted fajitas for my birthday and this thread inspired me to try La Michoacana. I got three pounds of fajitas marinades and three pounds of pollo marinades. I started the chicken first on lower heat and when it was getting close, threw the beef on hot and fast. Best fajitas I've ever cooked. My wife was suspicious but she is a convert. Now I want to go back and try all the other stuff on this thread.

Cowboy Curtis
AG
Are those B-1 Beans?
MarylandAG
RGV AG is right...agujas are good stuff. This thread reminds me of my childhood, fajitas, agujas, mollejas, tablitas.

Still to be mentioned....arrachera, alambres (kebabs, some cut of cubed meat, a slice of bacon, slice of onion, slice of bell pepper, repeat over the whole skewer), some fatty cut they call "bone in brisket" grilled and diced for taco, the fat is just extra flavor, haha, leg quarters sliced thin to make the grilling easier, green onions heated up on the grill, regular white onions cut in half, wrapped in foil, holes poked in the foil, then dropped on the coals while you grill, damn the aroma it gives off, potatoes wrapped in foil, dropped on the coals, corn tortillas cooked on the grill, and other things I've since forgotten.....that was a proper carne asada for us every Sunday growing up.
RGV AG
AG
MarylandAG oh so true, lots of good stuff in what you mention.

You mention Arracheras, that is the Mexican, Mexican national mind you, preferred version of "Fajitas". In the US they are called "Hanging Tenders" and occasionally you can score a great buy on them, as in Mexico, due to demand. they are premium cut. Grill the same way as Fajitas, but I like to go slower on Arracheras as they are better jucier.

For those that have never tried the split leg quarters, they are highly recommended. And honestly, venture to the wild side and try Mollejas, with some avocado and fresh pico de gallo and a squirt of lime there is nothing in the world that I have ever eaten that is better than a molleja taco. Well deep fried crispy mollejas with a hot ass salsa are incredible too.

Well marbled Agujas are excellent as well, and if you look for sale's you can find them for lower prices than Fajitas. My wife and daughter prefer Agujas to fajitas.
RGV AG
AG
Did you all ever do the sausage in the bag on the grill? I still can't handle that and won't eat it, but GD'it is popular in South Texas now.
MarylandAG
Never did that, actually never even heard of it until I heard it mentioned here (on another thread if memory serves). Heck we always used chapel hill or something like that seared it without burning then set it off to the side away from direct heat while we grilled the rest of the stuff. I got say, and this coming from a Mexican-American raised in Zapata, TX...most mexicans have bad taste in sausage, they use that echrich farm stuff ( I probably miss-spelled that) I hate that stuff then they undercooked it to boot! I see that a lot in "parilladas at restaurants".
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.