Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Sushi

6,236 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Icecream_Ag
bigtruckguy3500
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone else not really impressed with sushi? A lot of friends are always raving about some sushi place or another, but the few times I've had it, I just didn't find it appealing. It was either bland, bland but very salty, or bland with some something spicy added on top. Also, it's really expensive for what you get. I feel like I'd need to spend $20 to fill up. Granted I haven't gone to a high end sushi place. Only ever had the grocery store sushi they make at the little stand in store.

Am I the only one? Is the problem I need to find a higher end place? Or am I not buying the right type of sushi?
SpiderDude
AG
That's like saying you're not really impressed with hamburgers cuz you've only ever had one at McDonald's. $20 to fill up on good Sushi?! Try $50 or more. No, it's not cheap but it's considered one of the premier culinary dishes in the world when it's done well. I don't eat it all the time but when I get a craving, yes, it's worth dropping half a Benjamin or more per person.
Tanya 93
I don't usually find tofu in sushi
bigtruckguy3500
What do you find so good about it? All the people I know aren't spending $50 when they go for sushi. They're spending less than 20 on just the sushi, plus whatever they spend on drinks. But they rave about it.

A fast food burger is still tasty, even if it's not a high quality gourmet burger.

Also, Tanya, yeah, I mistyped. Was looking at places in the local asian part of town and there's a tofu place next to one of the sushi places I wast thinking about trying.

I'll be in Japan for a while coming up here soon. So maybe I'll be able to get the real deal there, and hopefully it won't disappoint. And hopefully it won't cost $50 to get a reasonable portion.
GarlandAg2012
AG
I like grocery store and take out sushi just fine but it is worlds apart from high end. I would say the gap in flavor, texture, and overall experience is much larger between "fast food" sushi vs high end than it is for a fast food burger and high end. Some of the best bites of food I've ever had are sushi. I highly recommend you go somewhere nice and get sushi aka nigiri vs getting a roll (makimono) or sashimi (fish only). It may not be your thing in the end but you should try the real thing before you judge whether or not you like it.
TXAG 05
AG
Definitely need to try to real deal. We get HEB sushi every now and then and it's good(wouldn't trust Kroger or anyone else though)but doesn't compare to a real sushi restaurant. There is also so many different things that fall under "sushi" that there is something for everyone, unless you just don't like fish.
FtBendTxAg
AG
$20 to fill up? I'd need to spend at least 4x that to fill up...

... on top of appetizers and drinks

Sushi is effing delicious and perfect. MF and Kata in H-tine are amazing.
62strat
AG
You talking sashimi/nigiri or the sushi rolls?

A decent place is usually what $5-$8 a pair for sashimi? It would take way more than $20 to get full.

However the rolls can be $10-$15, maybe close to $20, and 2 of those is usually sufficient for me, however I'm sure I could eat 4 if it was like all you could eat.

I love all those rolls, especially if it has fried something and/or avocado. I love just raw salmon too.
Seven Costanza
AG
Sushi bars in Japan are usually pretty expensive. You will easily spend $60-$100. The training to become a proper sushi chef is pretty extensive. I respect the craft and don't mind eating it, but I don't think it tastes all that great either.

The sushi go-rounds are pretty cheap, though. You will likely find it to be more bland than American sushi.
bigtruckguy3500
62strat said:

You talking sashimi/nigiri or the sushi rolls?

A decent place is usually what $5-$8 a pair for sashimi? It would take way more than $20 to get full.

However the rolls can be $10-$15, maybe close to $20, and 2 of those is usually sufficient for me, however I'm sure I could eat 4 if it was like all you could eat.

I love all those rolls, especially if it has fried something and/or avocado. I love just raw salmon too.
I don't know, I'm guessing regular sushi rolls? I think I've tried the California roll, an avocado roll, and something else. One of them had salmon in it. It's about 10 dollars a tray at the commissary (grocery store on military bases). A $10 tray would be enough for a light lunch for me. Maybe I'm not picking the right types of sushi, or should I say sashimi/nigiri?

Maybe I'll fork over money at least once while I'm there and go to a legit sushi place to see if it's really worth it.
62strat
AG
Yeh those are just rolls. Yeh $10 is a little tray. I can kill that in about 3 minutes.

A $15 roll at a restaurant can be much more filling though.

Myself and 2 coworkers at a previous employer used to go get sushi rolls for lunch and we'd hit $100-$120 easy.

This was in Greeley Colorado.
Diggity
AG
California roll is the Top Ramon of sushi.
Panama Red
AG
Diggity said:

California roll is the Top Ramon of sushi.
Does that make the Philadelphia Roll the vienna sausage and ketchup of sushi?
AggieBarstool
The draw to sushi, for me, is a mix of the following:
  • Quality
  • Simplicity
  • Infinite combinations of options for new flavors
  • When eating something simple (few sauces, not deep friend) I feel like I'm eating clean
  • I like simple flavors

My hunch is you're basing your opinion on few data points and/or crappy sushi places. There's a time and place for "grocery store" sushi, mid-range options, and high-end. The tricky part is finding a place that has the right balance between different options, price, and quality. Typically, you find this in locales that are closer to water. Just my $0.02.
Ornlu
AG
Yes, very apt analogy.
schmendeler
AG
Quote:

Only ever had the grocery store sushi they make at the little stand in store.
if someone said they didn't get the appeal of pizza, but had only ever had pizza from the deli at Kroger, do you think you would take their opinion seriously? or think that they were being genuine in their appeal to understand it?
AlaskanAg99
AG
It's fantastic, it's expensive and you're doing it all wrong.
bigtruckguy3500
Fair point, however not too many people say the cheap Kroger deli pizza is good. I've heard a decent number of people say good things about the grocery store sushi.

And usually even when pizza isn't good, it still isn't bad. With the sushi I've had, it just had zero appeal to my taste buds.
Diggity
AG

Said nobody, ever, about sushi
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I can't tell if this is the best F&S troll ever or not.

I spent about 4 months in Japan where I really fell in love with it. Sushi <> sushi rolls, that's the Americanized version. The closest thing I have found here to Japan is Uchi but you will drop $100 per head without drinks.

I went to the Tuna auction and watched buyers spend tens of thousands of dollars on one fish. I like the creativity and super clean flavors. It's delicate and delicious when done right. Yes it's not as filling as a cheese burger but to understand sushi I'd suggest having it at a good place so you can see what the top end is like
cevans_40
AG
Is it wrong that I judge every sushi place on their spicy tuna roll?
FIDO*98*
AG
I think Sushi is wildly overrated. I think the price creates a Veblen good effect. I don't hate it by any means, but, rarely eat it if I can't expense it
FlyFish95
If you like it, it's not overrated. If you don't like it, move to Nebraska.
AggieBarstool
cevans_40 said:

Yes.
MAROON
AG
cevans_40 said:

yes if that's the source of your entire rating, but No,if its just a component. I love sushi and while I don't eat a lot of rolls except tekka maki, I do love a good spicy tuna hand roll. Some make great ones and some are just lazy about it.
PlanoAg98
AG
Stay far away from buffet style all you can eat sushi! I have found one made to order all you can eat place in Plano that's actually pretty good.

Sushi Shack

Quote:

ALL YOU CAN EAT, EVERYDAY!

LUNCH $11.99
INCLUDING 35 MENUS
OPEN TO 4:30 PM

DINNER $20.99
INCLUDING 55 MENUS
4:30 PM TO CLOSE

While it not as good as most non all you can eat places, it's decent if you're concerned about not being able to fill up on $20. These are rolls only and no sashimi, etc.

Born Maroon
AG
Top quality, fresh seasonal wild fish is very expensive and not available year round. The top sushi and fusion restaurants use the best fish available and their prices are justifiably high.

If you want cheap fish, you'll get a lot of farmed and imitation fish products. Farmed salmon, farmed Hamachi ect...

Diggity
AG
Went to MF with my in-laws last night. Excellent food, but I'm pretty sure they were all hungry after the meal. Made for a great appetizer!
RK
AG
last time i went to MF, we were sat uncomfortably close to another 2 top of an older lady and a younger gentleman who must have had the 20 course chef's tasting menu. i'm only hoping she got a satisfactory return on her investment.
62strat
AG
PlanoAg98 said:

Stay far away from buffet style all you can eat sushi! I have found one made to order all you can eat place in Plano that's actually pretty good.

Sushi Shack

Quote:

ALL YOU CAN EAT, EVERYDAY!

LUNCH $11.99
INCLUDING 35 MENUS
OPEN TO 4:30 PM

DINNER $20.99
INCLUDING 55 MENUS
4:30 PM TO CLOSE

While it not as good as most non all you can eat places, it's decent if you're concerned about not being able to fill up on $20. These are rolls only and no sashimi, etc.

There was a place on westheimer I used to hit up for lunch now and again (this was 10+ years ago).. They had nigiri at the buffet.. the guy was there making/replenishing it as customers grabbed them.

One day a coworker and mine are there, and we're pretty much just eating that, skipping most of the buffet. After about the third visit up, I'm grabbing my 4-5 pieces, I hear the dude say 'take it easy'! (in a very thick accented voice, almost like Al Pacino as scarface would say it.)

Coworker and I used that line all the time after that day (in the accent of course).. Take it easy!!!

Tailgate88
AG
I like sushi fine but I love Japanese food in general. It creates an issue because anytime I'm at a place that has high quality sushi I'm usually also jonesing for some cold soba, oden, yaki, hot pot... so I end up eating a lot of low quality sushi.
C@LAg
Sine poena nulla lex.
JYDog90
AG
We go to a buffet place every now and then in front of Willowbrook Mall called Kirin. That'll scratch an itch.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
4133 you left out Japanese Curry especially Tonkatsu and Yakatori
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.