Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Vitamix!

2,562 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Trinity Ag
aa4136
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone own one of these? I am wondering if it is worth the price tag.

We are looking into a reconditioned Ascent series 3500.
AlaskanAg99
AG
Mother in law gave us one, we used it a lot the first year, now we use it once in twice a year. It is awesome, but we just don't blend much. In fact, I use it the most when making tortilla soup.
ChipFTAC01
AG
We received one as a wedding present. Used it a lot for soups and smoothies the first few years but now as much since kids. Probably will start using it again maybe when the kids get older for milk shakes and smoothies.

It's a fantastic blender. A lot better than the $30 one I probably bought at Target in college.
K2T2
I got a reburbished classic, and it's amazing. It makes velvet sauces. I make a lot of nut-based creams and sauces, and it turns the nuts into a smooth sauce rather than being grainy. It makes quick work of frozen fruit and a can of coconut milk for a summer drink base. I make homemade butter in it. It's incredibly useful if you have a vegan kitchen. I don't use it every week, but I probably use it every other week and I use it every time I throw a party. It's a buy it for life (or for a decade or two) kinda thing.
80sGeorge
AG
Wife hated the wedding present Cuisinart we had. Got a Vitamix fr Costco. Used a couple a times a week for smoothies for kids. It can handle the frozen fruit that the other choked on. I use it salsas and soups. Pretty cool. Recommend.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Worth every penny. Best Margaritas and great for sauces that you want smooth.
FtBendTxAg
AG
I don't have a vita mix, I have a blend tec, and I can tell you that a high end blender is a game changer. Only problem is, we don't use it much :/
aggiedata
AG
Amazon has deep discounts on these during Prime Days.

Totally worth it if you make smoothies. We use it 4 times a week. Amazing difference between this a step down blender.
SoCalTexAg
AG
Might be the exception here, but our Vita-mix gets used a minimum of three times per day. Shakes and smoothies keep it busy. Application for the more gourmet minded for cooking is fantastic; soups, pesto, marinades are a snap. I've used a variety of other high price blenders but this is my choice. We actually have two; the older first one is now relegated to the travel trailer. Also, we much prefer the clean up ease of this machine to others used.
jeffdjohnson
I have a Vitamix collecting dust as well. Anyone have a good soup/sauce recipe to share? Would be interested in a good tortilla soup recipe.
True Anomaly
AG
Had a Blendtec a few years ago- it actually burned out. Once I got a replacement from the company, I still wasn't happy with how it created smoothies and other things I would try to blend- just couldn't get that smoothness I was looking for. Broke down and got a Vitamix a couple years ago, and couldn't be happier- I use it regularly, and it truly lives up to the hype. There's a reason they've been making these damn things for decades
Fontana Coffee Roasters
AG
It great for making salad dressings and marinades, especially if you get the smaller cup for low volume batches.
www.fontanacoffee.com
Harbor Bay
Highly recommend it. It's worth every penny. It does everything they say it does.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
I got a blendtec last year on prime day for less than 200 bucks. A blender with a really good motor is such a game changer for smoothies and frozen drinks.
aggiedata
AG
I might add things taste better. It was unexpected the difference.
AlaskanAg99
AG
jeffdjohnson said:

I have a Vitamix collecting dust as well. Anyone have a good soup/sauce recipe to share? Would be interested in a good tortilla soup recipe.

I use this as my base:

https://www.myrecipes.com/recipe/tortilla-soup-4

However, I season and grill the chicken first. Then slice and add later. I find the texture to be better.

And...I like a creamy soup base, so follow all the directions above, then in batches puree the soup with your handmade tortilla chips. This is why A you need to fry your own and B you need a lot.more than the recipe calls for. Only fill the blender a little over 1/3, when the blades kick on it'll push the heavy soup up and if your hand isn't on the lid holding it down you'll paint your kitchen.

You add the chicken after blending, just to be clear.

And you need 2 stock pots.

Then dress the soup with avocado, sour cream, tortilla chips and fresh sprinkled spices if desired.
TexAg2001
AG
We've owned the Vitamix from Costco for about 14 months now and use it at least several times a week for making Smoothies, Blender Muffins, Various Sauces, and Almond Milk. We have also used it to make nut butter (peanut, cashew, almond) with great success.

I've recently made Hummus in it a few times. It works OK with hummus, but it would probably be better in a food processor. The blades aren't close enough to the bottom to properly mix the lemon juice and tahini prior to adding the chickpeas.

Other blenders don't have the power to make nut butter as good as the Vitamix does. Also, I've noticed that there is less air in smoothies made with the Vitamix, which I'm guessing is because it cuts through so effortlessly that a bunch of air isn't "whipped" into the mix.
aggiedata
AG
If anyone wants one: Amazon Prime Day tomorrow will feature them. Says up to %35 off
aggiedata
AG
Here it is on Prime Days

Price:
$449.95
With Deal:
$279.95

Vitamix 5200 Blender, Professional-Grade, 64 oz. Container, Black by Amazon.com
RK
AG
dammit. i want it.
Trinity Ag
S
VItamix is worth every penny.

We bought ours in 2008, and it is still cracking on -- and we use it almost daily.

Smoothies -- brilliant

Frozen Margaritas -- brilliant

Soup, grinding nuts, flax seed, whatever.

The warranty is 7 years (or ours was), and customer service is exceptional. Our container started to leak at the bottom after 5 years, and they sent a new one -- no questions asked.

This is one of those things where you buy quality once instead of getting 5-6 cheap blenders that underperform and don't last.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.