Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Pit Boss Pro Series

3,271 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by YourFavAggie
cgarcia23147
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Does anyone have any experience with this brand of pellet smokers/grill? Seems to have good review online.

Thanks.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Recommend cross posting this or looking into the Outdoors board for advice
mrjamessaitta
This brand is good to save your budget. You can read this article to know about the best pellet smoker: https://www.bbqqueens.com/best-pellet-smokers-reviews/
caleblyn
Just bought the 1100 on sale at Lowe's for 549. Military discount plus some pellets was a total of $550.

Have not started it yet.

Got any advice from any pellet grill experts out there?
n_touch
Rib Eye Steak at 225 for 45 minutes and then sear at high temp.
DTP02
AG
Are there any other threads on here about pellet smokers and/or the pit boss?

This is the only one I found.

I use an Oklahoma Joe offset at him which I am happy with, but I am wanting to buy a smoker for our family hunting/vacation lodge.

It needs to be kind of a no-brainer because there will be some family using it when I'm not around who only use propane or charcoal grills, so I'm thinking a pellet grill is the way to go from what I've heard.

I've never actually used one, however, so don't know what I don't know.

- the better wood pellets are just pure wood, right, no artificial junk?

- are wood pellets available in all the normal flavors, including stuff like cherry?

- can I use any brand of good pellets in any type pellet grill?

- can I get a pellet grill hot enough to get a good sear?

- can I reduce the smoke to where there is heat but minimal smoke for things I don't want to be too smoky?

I'm looking at the Pit Boss Pro 1100. Anyone have any experience with that brand or model?

Specifically:

- how good does the temp regulate? I've seen some minor complaints online about 10-15 degree variations, but if that's the worst of it I'm not too concerned.

- how much of a pain is it to clean?

- there is an option to slide open the baffle to get more direct heat. Does this work at all, and isn't the area pretty limited that would get direct exposure to the flame?

- how even is the smoke and temperature?

- It comes with a couple of wired temp probes. Are these accurate?

Thanks for any help.
Vernada
AG
MAK 3 Star General or GTFO
YourFavAggie
AG
DTP02 said:

I've never actually used one, however, so don't know what I don't know.

- the better wood pellets are just pure wood, right, no artificial junk?

- are wood pellets available in all the normal flavors, including stuff like cherry?

- can I use any brand of good pellets in any type pellet grill?

- can I get a pellet grill hot enough to get a good sear?

- can I reduce the smoke to where there is heat but minimal smoke for things I don't want to be too smoky?

- Yes, the good quality pellets are
- Yes, especially with the rise in the market for pellet grills. There are lots of options for pellets (i personally have cherry in my RecTec)
- the key to varying pellets in different pellet grills is the quality. Some manufactures have longer pellets and are not as well dried. The cheaper pellets can dissolve or get stuck in your auger which can cause a stall in the middle of the cook
- the higher end pellet grills are getting able to get higher and higher temps. A lot of people are using grill grates to get the additional temps for good sears
- I have only seen people want more smoke on their pellet grills rather than less. Not sure how much control you will get in the varying models.

I have a RecTec, so I can't answer your other questions
Eyes of texas Crying
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.