Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Smoker recommendations

3,605 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by CalAG
LoneStarAg10
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looking for the best smoker I can get for under $500. I'd like to be able to cook at least 2 briskets on it at a time and maybe throw some other stuff on too. Thanks!
I'd just get a Weber Smokey mountain at that budget. You can turn out some great cue with one and I think they are 250-300.
FIDO*98*
AG
Keep saving
JYDog90
AG
You can't do what he wants to do on a WSM, can you?
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Get a home depot special, then by firebricks and look up the hacks for it on youtube, it took me some time but mine runs well now
Good point. You can get two briskets on the big WSM pretty easily but not the other stuff. I think Fido's answer is prob the best one.
gigemags87
AG
Read this then search their reviews.

https://amazingribs.com/ratings-reviews/how-to-buy-a-smoker/charcoal-and-wood-smoker-buying-guide
BSD
AG
the Old Country Pecos from Academy is $400 and does a decent job. I won mine in a contest a few years back and have had decent success with it. I did have seal the doors a bit to prevent heat loss and I extended my smokestack with some vent material I got from a construction project. It's a little ghetto but it works!

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-pecos-smoker?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjcb-wYaf4gIVi4bACh3T_w8QEAQYASABEgKN1PD_BwE#repChildCatid=311402&affcode=42&campid=1757597753&adgroupid=74259407972&device=m&keyword=020334421&Channel=pla
txag2008
AG
https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/
LoneStarAg10
AG
BSD said:

the Old Country Pecos from Academy is $400 and does a decent job. I won mine in a contest a few years back and have had decent success with it. I did have seal the doors a bit to prevent heat loss and I extended my smokestack with some vent material I got from a construction project. It's a little ghetto but it works!

https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/old-country-bbq-pits-pecos-smoker?gclsrc=aw.ds&&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIjcb-wYaf4gIVi4bACh3T_w8QEAQYASABEgKN1PD_BwE#repChildCatid=311402&affcode=42&campid=1757597753&adgroupid=74259407972&device=m&keyword=020334421&Channel=pla

This one looks great. It works well for you? How did you seal the doors?
FIDO*98*
AG
Wanna know why I said "keep saving" in my original post?.............because that POS was my first smoker
javajaws
AG
There's no shame in going with a drum smoker or a Weber smoky mountain. They all make great Q.
FIDO*98*
AG
javajaws said:

There's no shame in going with a drum smoker or a Weber smoky mountain. They all make great Q.

100% agree that you are better off with a WSM than a cheap offset
investorAg83
AG
FIDO*98* said:

javajaws said:

100% agree that you are better off with a WSM than a cheap offset
This x1000.
ORAggieFan
I can do all that with my WSM 22" no problem. I love the thing.
If you are handy and/or looking for a project, you can build your own "ugly" drum smoker. For something off the shelf, I think you have to look at the WSM.
dummble
AG
Hi Temp Silicone to seal the main chamber door and firebox. Go ahead and remove the grate from the firebox and throw it away.

My friend has one and it works fine, you just have to learn it. You will be cooking at a temp range of 25 to 50 degrees. So don't worry too much. You cannot feed it large splits or long splits. It is not big enough to cook two briskets and ribs evenly so you will need to be rotating the meat locations.

I also subscribe to the control temp with your fire philosophy. My stack and firebox are always wide open to burn the cleanest fire.

pic of 1 brisket and 2 pork buts inside of it
GarlandAg2012
AG
txag2008 said:

https://www.pitbarrelcooker.com/
This
Sooner Born
I can cook 4 briskets on my 22" Webber Smoky Mountain, no problem. At $399, that leaves room for a fan control unit.
khkman22
AG
Do you have a picture of your setup to get 4 to fit? How big are the briskets normally?
inch05
AG
Costco has a version of the kamado joe for about $500.
JYDog90
AG
This is the way it looks:

?odnHeight=450&odnWidth=450&odnBg=FFFFFF
ORAggieFan
khkman22 said:

Do you have a picture of your setup to get 4 to fit? How big are the briskets normally?

It's got two racks. I had two briskets on my bottom rack no problem a few weeks ago. They were 12.5 pounders.
Sweet Kitten Feet
S
Yep I've done 2 briskets and 2 turkeys at once on my 22 WSM. Multiple rib racks and a brisket. It can hold a lot of meat.
CalAG
AG
inch05 said:

Costco has a version of the kamado joe for about $500.
I would go this route.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.