Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Byob wedding booze

5,102 Views | 39 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SpiderDude
Max06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My reception venue is beer/ wine only and we're bringing liquor for our guests. We're both bourbon drinkers, so not sure what else to include.

Vodka
Tequila
Makers Mark green label
Basil Hayden
Whatever my flavor of the day is

Anything else???

60ish guests. Family-style waygu steak & fried chicken on the menu.
nonameag99
crown royal
The Aggie number specified has already been linked with another TexAgs account.
bushytailed
AG
Add a flavored vodka in addition to the plain vodka. Deep Eddy Peach is a good choice for summer and pairs well with a number of mixers.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
You're only offering one bourbon, and I don't understand why it would be Basil Hayden's.

I would offer Knob Creek instead. It's a better bourbon, higher proof and cheaper.
Max06
AG
Because that's the groom's favorite.

My flavor will be Willett Pot Still, Woodford, or Blanton's.
BigAg95
AG
Rum
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Do you have liquor drinker, cocktail drinker or something and cola/soda drinkers? I like to premix classic cocktails in the bottles like old fashions, margaritas, but also Mixers

• Club soda
  • Tonic water
  • Cola/Diet
  • Sprite or 7-up
  • Ginger ale
  • Orange juice
  • Cranberry juice
  • Tomato juice
  • Pineapple juice
  • Angostura bitters
  • Simple Syrup
Diggity
AG
Gotta have a scotch selection.
SpiderDude
AG
Diggity said:

Monkey Shoulder is a good crowd pleaser.
Vernada
AG
Diggity said:

Disagree.

Guests will drink whatever is available.

So to OP - I wouldn't sweat it too much. Just bring whatever you like.
Diggity
AG
neat...just have some Taaka and call it a day then.

I just thought it was strange to have two Bourbon's and no scotch.

Clearly the OP can bring whatever they like, but they were asking for advice, so....
Matsui
AG
This is the right answer. Everyone drinks free booze.
AgEng06
AG
Matsui said:

False. I won't even drink free Bud Light.
Vernada
AG
Diggity said:

neat...just have some Taaka and call it a day then.

I just thought it was strange to have two Bourbon's and no scotch.

Clearly the OP can bring whatever they like, but they were asking for advice, so....

Funny. While I typing my reply I was chuckling picturing being at a wedding with a bunch of plastic bottles.
FtBendTxAg
AG
We had Tito's and Weller (and beer and wine) and everyone partied and danced and had a great time. Nobody complained. You could serve Evan Williams and Smirnoff and people would still get slammed and not complain about the free booze.

Weller is the best bang for the buck when feeding almost 200 bourbon drinking idiots.
Texan_Aggie
AG
Seems like for 60 people I'd only bring a handful. Be prepared to be burned out on the leftovers because you'll be drinking A LOT of it, speaking from personal experience.
SACR
AG
AgEng06 said:

Matsui said:

The only thing worse than wine snobs are beer snobs.
AgEng06
AG
Not a beer snob, although I prefer craft beer. I'll drink Coors Light w/ you all day. I just can't stand Bud.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
SACR said:

AgEng06 said:

Matsui said:

Someone hands you an ice cold Bud Light and you'd rather not drink anything than drink it?

Than might be the most beta male thing I've ever heard.
GarlandAg2012
AG
OP have you considered doing a few "signature cocktails" instead? It will be expensive to have a fully stocked bar and you will probably end up with random stuff left over/open bottles you will have to deal with after the fact. If that doesn't work for you I would go with this for a basic bar setup:

• Vodka
  • Gin
  • Whiskey/Bourbon
  • Rum
  • Tequila
  • Bitters
  • Club Soda
  • Tonic
  • Cranberry Juice
  • Orange Juice
  • Cola
  • Lemon Lime Soda
  • Simple Syrup

A 750 mL bottle contains about 15 pours for mixed drinks. 60 guests won't all drink liquor, so you probably only need a bottle of what you think will be less popular and two bottles of what you think will be more popular.

This site could be helpful for planning: https://bigredliquors.com/drink-calculator/
HTownAg98
GarlandAg2012 said:

OP have you considered doing a few "signature cocktails" instead? It will be expensive to have a fully stocked bar and you will probably end up with random stuff left over/open bottles you will have to deal with after the fact.

Do this.
Max06
AG
Almost no one on the guest list drinks cocktails.

No sense in buying all that mixer crap when all they're going to drink is liquor w/ soda or on the rocks.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Ah, that simplifies things greatly then.
RK
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

SACR said:

AgEng06 said:

Matsui said:

Someone hands you an ice cold Bud Light and you'd rather not drink anything than drink it?

i don't like bud light at all...but if it's there, cold and free...i'll drink it all day long.
Ducks4brkfast
AG
RK said:

Ducks4brkfast said:

SACR said:

AgEng06 said:

Matsui said:

i don't like bud light at all...but if it's there, cold and free...i'll drink it all day long.
i know you will
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
We were in Vegas for March Madness and the bar was free Bud Light with admission, we had 2 or 3 pitchers before switching to other booze for pay.

If you have liquor drinkers then I'd say good booze, but liquor and cola drinkers then just stick to the middle shelf, crown, titos ect..
Diggity
AG
That reminds me of the old brewery/restaurant in the Rice Village (Houston Brewery maybe)?

They had $1 drafts on Sundays. After trying every style of beer that place offered, we would just switch to full price beer made by someone better.
MooreTrucker
AG
Keeper of The Spirits said:

Do you have liquor drinker, cocktail drinker or something and cola/soda drinkers? I like to premix classic cocktails in the bottles like old fashions, margaritas, but also Mixers

• Club soda
  • Tonic water
  • Cola/Diet
  • Sprite or 7-up
  • Ginger ale
  • Orange juice
  • Cranberry juice
  • Tomato juice
  • Pineapple juice
  • Angostura bitters
  • Simple Syrup

If you have simple syrup and Angostura bitters, you don't need any "old fashion" mix-in-a-bottle crap.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I'd challenge you to try one of the mix in a bottle crap and say you didn't like it or could even tell the difference. I take a bottle of bulleit, eagle rare or Elijah Craig and remove about 3 shots from the bottl., Then add sugar, bitters (angostura or orange) and an orange peel (optional), then sous vide at about 120 for 4 hours or so. Then, I keep them bottle on ice and pour them directly into the glass.

Great for have 15 drinks ready to go. I keep a bottle of those or sazeracs made similarly in my fridge most of the time.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Pretty sure he's just suggesting you batch mix the drinks to allow the bartenders to serve faster, not buying a "cocktail in a bottle". Many high end cocktail bars do this, no reason to be snooty.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
this is the Food and Spirits board, people get snooty over kolaches so we should expect nothing less
MooreTrucker
AG
GarlandAg2012 said:

Pretty sure he's just suggesting you batch mix the drinks to allow the bartenders to serve faster, not buying a "cocktail in a bottle". Many high end cocktail bars do this, no reason to be snooty.
Old fashions are absolutely something to get snooty over.

But I wasn't trying to be snooty so much as point out that old fashions are just the three ingredients, hence the name.

I can't be too snooty. I don't know what sous vide even means.

BTW, I love how you just glossed over the "remove about 3 shots from the bottle". We know how that works.
SACR
AG
Ducks4brkfast said:

SACR said:

AgEng06 said:

Matsui said:

You're replying to the wrong poster.
schwack schwack
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Glass-Flask-Liquor-Bottle-Black/dp/B076ZXR8L7/ref=pd_sbs_328_2/131-7642986-5241614?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B076ZXR8L7&pd_rd_r=4e49f80d-796c-11e9-a109-d74889de0019&pd_rd_w=D2krw&pd_rd_wg=67xhp&pf_rd_p=588939de-d3f8-42f1-a3d8-d556eae5797d&pf_rd_r=K88XFDCY4T0MGJHC2T6T&psc=1&refRID=K88XFDCY4T0MGJHC2T6T

If you want to do some pre-mixed drinks, these are good single serves. Perfect for an Old Fahsioned or Manhattan - just put a little orange peel in & maybe stab a nice Luxardo cherry with a long pick to serve with the cap off. Keep them in a small fridge & guests can either drink from the bottle - my choice - or pour over an ice cube. You might be able to find them cheaper at a supply type company. Since you don't have too many guests, I'd consider engraving or screen printing them for take home favors.

We do these at our house get togethers - always a big hit & keeps us from standing behind the bar. We do bourbon drinks in the fall/winter & margaritas in the summer. Guest choices are the pre-mixed, straight, beer or wine & everybody is happy.

Ducks4brkfast
AG
Sorry
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.