Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Weber Gas Grills

2,990 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Vernada
Txroper
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
looking into replacing my gas grill. What makes Weber so much better? I looked at the smaller ones at Home Depot (we are empty nesters now), are they worth spending the extra money on? TIA.
Vernada
AG
Yes. Last forever. Buy one now. Never buy a grill again.
Vernada
AG
I'd also suggest going Genesis over Spirit.
Txroper
AG
Vernada said:

Why is that?
Vernada
AG
Txroper said:

Vernada said:

Why is that?

Not a whole lot more $$ and a whole lot more sq ft plus sear station.
LCE
AG
Have had Weber Genesis for years. Use it 3 days a week for 5 years and it's great
Tree Hugger
AG
I've been eyeing the Spirit lately to replace a rusted out Brinkman. Aside from size, what performance does the Genesis add? I don't really care about side burners or rotisseries or anything like that, I never even used those or the sear burner on the one I am about to replace.

I mainly just want something that will get hot, stay hot, and last more than 3-5 years on a covered patio.
LCE
AG
Weber Spirit should be fine. I rarely have enter grill lit anyway.
Vernada
AG
Tree Hugger said:

I've been eyeing the Spirit lately to replace a rusted out Brinkman. Aside from size, what performance does the Genesis add? I don't really care about side burners or rotisseries or anything like that, I never even used those or the sear burner on the one I am about to replace.

I mainly just want something that will get hot, stay hot, and last more than 3-5 years on a covered patio.

Sear station is an extra burner between the left and middle burner so that area can get extra hot.
ORAggieFan
I've had my Genesis 17 years and never covered it. Loved in TX, FL and CA. Thing still works perfect. Don't consider anything else.
big ben
AG
Weber Spirit 2 burner here, had it 5 years, keep it clean, use 3 times a week or more and it still looks new. I keep it covered in my garage and routinely hit the grates with a wirewheel and clean out the "sludge" that accumulates.

I did have to replace one of the deflectors? because i use the weber flavor chip box that burns hot but that took 4 years to burn through.
Texker
AG
Bought a Weber at HD 13 years ago and it still works like new.
62strat
AG
Weber owner of 6 years.. I'm guessing it will last another 20.

Buy the cover though.. even if some say it can take the elements, why not buy the $40 cover to make it look great at all times?

My cover is just now starting to get some holes in it.
62strat
AG
Vernada said:

Txroper said:

Vernada said:

Why is that?

Not a whole lot more $$ and a whole lot more sq ft plus sear station.
I have a genesis 3 burner but I don't have a sear station.
HTownAg98
My FIL has a Genesis three burner, and I love using it when we house/dog sit for them. It's at least 7 years old, and it looks brand new. It gets plenty hot to get a good sear on a steak.
danieljustin06
AG
I bought a Genesis II 4 burner last August. Was going to get the three burner in black, but the 4 burner in bronze was priced the same and I couldn't pass that deal up. I use it a ton and love it. Bought it based off of recommendations on OB.
Cassius
One really good thing about my Weber is I've never had a grease fire or flare up. And they hold some heat!
Vernada
AG
Hmm. I thought all Genesis models had the sear station.

Mines a 3 burner + sear station with cast iron grates. It's been bullet proof for about 5 years. I never cover it. I will probably need to replace the 'flavorizer' bars in the next few years.

With all burners running on high it easily hits 650 at the cover thermometer.
pablof
Check out Sabre grills. You couldn't create a flare up if you tried!
beatlesphan
AG
The Genesis series usually runs $100 more than the Spirit equivalent. The one difference I noticed was the lid. Feels very cheap on the Spirit vs sturdy on the Genesis.

I bought a 2 burner Genesis 1 year ago based mostly on the good experiences reported by this board. Use it 2-3 times per week and no complaints yet.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
62strat
AG
Vernada said:

Hmm. I thought all Genesis models had the sear station.

Mines a 3 burner + sear station with cast iron grates. It's been bullet proof for about 5 years. I never cover it. I will probably need to replace the 'flavorizer' bars in the next few years.

With all burners running on high it easily hits 650 at the cover thermometer.
It looks like the genesis II E series has 4 model numbers for a 3 burner, 310/315 and 330/335. (Then each can be propane or natural gas)

The first pair is no sear station and no side burner. 310 is open cart, 315 is closed. Then 330/335 have the sear/sideburner and again is open/closed. I remember now deciding not to get a side burner since I never use it, so didn't want to spend the extra money.

When I bought mine, it was a Genesis, not Genesis II. The II series brought the open cabinet option, the igrill dock, a propane level and 2 really large wheels and 2 small ones. Mine is 4 small wheels. So mine is a 310, but has a closed cabinet.

Mine tops out at about 575*F (I have natural gas). I prefer 100% contact anyway, so I throw my cast iron skillet on the grill for searing my steaks.

I cover mine, but I'm in Denver and our sun is a lot more brutal than in Texas. That and hail storms.. my grill is at the edge of covered patio, so it gets hit. The cover gives a little protection anyway.

62strat
AG
beatlesphan said:

I bought a 2 burner Genesis 1 year ago based mostly on the good experiences reported by this board. Use it 2-3 times per week and no complaints yet.
The spirits are made of slightly cheaper materials. There is a bigger difference than a $100 though, when compared to the spirit II anyway. Spirit II 3 burner is $450.. genesis 3 burner starts at $700.

Not sure the differences between spirit and spirit II.
Vernada
AG
Txroper said:

looking into replacing my gas grill. What makes Weber so much better? I looked at the smaller ones at Home Depot (we are empty nesters now), are they worth spending the extra money on? TIA.
from the Classified board:

https://texags.com/forums/50/topics/3038056
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.