Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Can you be considered a great chef if you've only mastered one dish?

4,011 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SACR
biobioprof
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Vernada said:

Can someone get any more elite than having an entire ****ing show who's entire purpose is to belittle the everyday person?

Good grief. **** bobby flay.
I can't tell if you guys are talking about his old show (Throwdown) or the current one (Beat Bobby Flay). I don't know if he's a dewsh or not but I wouldn't call either of them being premised on belittling the everyday person, especially the current one.

In Throwdown they didn't pretend that the dish was a surprise that he didn't have time to prep for. A substantial portion of each episode was showing him seeking out experts in that cuisine and then practicing with his team.

On Beat Bobby Flay, I have no idea whether he knows the signature dish ahead of time, but it's not hard to imagine that the people involved in arranging for the challengers to even be there would have to know ahead of time what the signature dishes are and shop and line up judges that are appropriate, whether or not Flay or even the two Flay buddies who pick the cheftestants know.

Oryx
One of my buddies drove around Guy Fieri on a golf cart at some event once and said he was a really cool and down to earth guy.
RK
AG
jwoodmd said:

Vernada said:

Bobby Flay is a raging dewsh.

The No Reservations Las Vegas episodes where Bordain gets wasted in one of Flay's restaurants while talking trash about him was one of my all time favorites.
Flay is a raging dewsh. I love the clip of Gordon Ramsey going from his restaurant in Vegas which is in the same hotel at Flay's looking for Flay at his restaurant. Ramsey's an ass but he's light years beyond Flay's capabilities. Ramsey tries calling Flay, has the chef de cuisine at Flay's restaurant try to call him and no one can get him on the phone. Ramsey skewers Flay and basically calls him an incompetent chicken.
that whole video looks like a bit to me.
jwoodmd
RK said:

jwoodmd said:

Vernada said:

Bobby Flay is a raging dewsh.

The No Reservations Las Vegas episodes where Bordain gets wasted in one of Flay's restaurants while talking trash about him was one of my all time favorites.
Flay is a raging dewsh. I love the clip of Gordon Ramsey going from his restaurant in Vegas which is in the same hotel at Flay's looking for Flay at his restaurant. Ramsey's an ass but he's light years beyond Flay's capabilities. Ramsey tries calling Flay, has the chef de cuisine at Flay's restaurant try to call him and no one can get him on the phone. Ramsey skewers Flay and basically calls him an incompetent chicken.
that whole video looks like a bit to me.
Of course it was.
Diggity
AG
Sentence structure was whack in the OP.

I'll fix it for you:

Quote:

Furthermore, if you only master one cuisine, are you a great chef?

Jiro has mastered sushi, and I don't think anyone has any problem calling him a great chef.

YWIA
SACR
AG
Diggity said:

Sentence structure was whack in the OP.

I'll fix it for you:

Quote:

Furthermore, if you only master one cuisine, are you a great chef?

Jiro has mastered sushi, and I don't think anyone has any problem calling him a great chef.

YWIA
Adding or deleting an acronym is not a change in sentence structure.

YW.
Diggity
AG
Flipping the order and using the correct word will help people understand your statement better.

Just some helpful advice.
RK
AG
Losing battle.
Diggity
AG
Possibly
SACR
AG
This basic question in the OP is, what do you need to do to be considered a great chef?

Is mastering one dish enough?

Quote:

Or must you master one whole cuisine?

Or several cuisines?

This seems pretty straightforward to me.

Quote:

Street Foods showcases several people who have spent multiple decades mastering one dish, and they do it so well, they have people coming from around the world to sample their food. Would you consider such a person a great chef, even if they haven't mastered multiple dishes?

Is mastering one dish enough to be considered a great chef?

Quote:

OTOH, Jiro has mastered sushi, and I don't think anyone has any problem calling him a great chef.

But if you only master one cuisine, are you a great chef?
Jiro has mastered sushi, a cuisine, and no one has a problem calling him a great chef. So do you have to master more than just a dish, maybe master a whole cuisine, to be called a great chef?

Quote:

How do you define a great chef?

This isn't complicated.

I think BMX made a mistake, and then doubled-down on it.
schmendeler
AG
Bringing up Jiro before mentioning the change to mastering a whole cuisine makes it confusing to the reader.
BMX Bandit
You had a poorly constructed post. It's okay.
SACR
AG
schmendeler said:

Bringing up Jiro before mentioning the change to mastering a whole cuisine makes it confusing to the reader.
Who thinks sushi is one dish?

Sushi is a whole cuisine.

So how is bringing up Jiro, who has mastered a cuisine, and then asking if mastering a cuisine makes you a great chef, confusing?

It's only confusing if you think sushi is one dish, which is apparently an assumption BMX made.
hph6203
AG
SACR said:

schmendeler said:

Who thinks sushi is one dish?

Sushi is a whole cuisine.

So how is bringing up Jiro, who has mastered a cuisine, and then asking if mastering a cuisine makes you a great chef, confusing?

It's only confusing if you think sushi is one dish, which is apparently an assumption BMX made.

His first post was literally telling you it's not one dish. Your post was poorly constructed. You went from talking about the people on Street Foods and questioning whether or not they could be considered a great chef, because they cook the same thing over and over again and then said on the other hand Jiro is considered a great chef. The delineation could have been that Jiro understands a whole cuisine (sushi) and therefore can be considered a great chef, or you could have misunderstood that sushi was tantamount to what these street vendors do and giving him as an example of a world renowned chef despite only creating one dish. Y'all are on the same page now, just accept that your post wasn't clear.

Bourdain never took a trip to Flavor Town or made a Cheesy Bacon Cheeseburger for TGIFriday's (a bacon cheeseburger with a slab of fried provolone on it). That's the difference between Fieri and Bourdain. Fieri is great at what he does, but what he does would never be confused with being intellectual. He's an infomercial for locally owned businesses, which is a great thing. He's also a caricature that Bourdain found annoying and he found his food to be the epitome of American excess, and it is.

A chef and a cook are not the same thing. A chef develops a menu, manages other cooks and generally doesn't repetitiously create the same thing over and over. A cook is like a mechanic and a chef is like a car designer and the CEO of a car company rolled into one person, both can be great at making food, but one does it at a higher, more complex, more creative level. To be a great chef you generally have to come up with new techniques or a new approach to food, not mastering the techniques that have already been established.

So no, street food vendors, in general, won't be considered a great chef.
BMX Bandit
love your fighting spirit, but you are only embarrassing yourself more. I didn't assume sushi was one dish. Its okay that you had a badly worded post. agnzona does it daily.
SACR
AG

You made an assumption. You looked like an ass. You were wrong.

It's okay. It's just one post.
Tanya 93

Changed my mind.
Don't have time to keep responding if someone cannot admit how writing can be interpreted despite the intention
Furlock Bones
AG
willie wonka said:

jwoodmd said:

willie wonka said:

I'm amazed how many times Bobby Flay beats those folks at their "specialty dish." That guy is a machine.
You do know that show is semi-staged. Yes, Flay is an incredible chef. However, he knows what the signature dishes would be in advance. Haven't you ever wondered why there is some esoteric ingredient magically available for use. It's well documented as such. Although, I do find it entertaining and educational.

I get all that but who cares? So he cooks it, what, 2 or 3 times before the competition and they've been cooking it for years?

Still a big feat.
according to someone on reddit that worked on beat bobby flay, he actually only finds out what the dish about 30-45 minutes prior to starting to cook. the person said they worked as a "shopper" for the show. in the rare event the set did not have a certain ingredient he wanted to use in the in his dish, the shopper is out waiting for the phone call and has to buy the item and rush it to the set.
Furlock Bones
AG
i used to hate Guy Fieri. but, now i appreciate what he is. he's a tv personality that is a good cook and most importantly he seems to genuinely try and help people succeed in the business.
SbisaVictim95
AG
Furlock Bones said:

willie wonka said:

I'm amazed how many times Bobby Flay beats those folks at their "specialty dish." That guy is a machine.
dude has years and years of cooking in competition on tv. these people are coming on a to a set Flay knows intimately. he also happens to be a phenomenal chef.
Of course he is... you think Cubes and Derek let spares go on bonita fishing trips?
BMX Bandit
SACR said:

I assumed you knew how to write functional english. my bad.
SACR
AG
BMX Bandit said:

SACR said:

I assumed you knew how to write functional english. my bad.
I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you're literate. My bad.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Holy ****, this thread has it all!
RK
AG
Textbook sacr thread development.
FlyFish95
This thread reminds me a hipster tickle fight.
SACR
AG
RK said:

Textbook sacr thread development.
Other than BMX's replies, I thought it went well.

I did not know Bobby Flay was such a polarizing figure for some.
SACR
AG
Gig 1995 said:

This thread reminds me a hipster tickle fight.
Not enough arguments about AuTheNtiCiTy.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.