Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Can you be considered a great chef if you've only mastered one dish?

4,012 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by SACR
SACR
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Or must you master one whole cuisine?

Or several cuisines?

Just a discussion I am having on another forum, thought I'd being it here for your thoughts.

Street Foods showcases several people who have spent multiple decades mastering one dish, and they do it so well, they have people coming from around the world to sample their food. Would you consider such a person a great chef, even if they haven't mastered multiple dishes?

OTOH, Jiro has mastered sushi, and I don't think anyone has any problem calling him a great chef.

But if you only master one cuisine, are you a great chef?

How do you define a great chef?
BMX Bandit
sushi is not "one dish" so not sure why Jiro is used as example.
FIDO*98*
AG
Just because someone is "known" for one dish doesn't mean everything else they cook isn't great to incredible too
Furlock Bones
AG
lots of chefs seem to have great admiration for the guys/gals that are committed to making the same dishes over and over to perfection. Bourdain talked about this quite a bit. I've heard other chef personalities talk about it. i'd value their opinion more than what internet forums say about it.
JYDog90
AG
I'm amazed how many times Bobby Flay beats those folks at their "specialty dish." That guy is a machine.
Formerly Willy Wonka
AggieBarstool
The way I look at it, if you have people flocking to your establishment, from afar, you're a darned great chef, single cuisine or not.
chipotle
I can Shake N bake the s*** out of a pork chop. Che Chipotle
schmendeler
AG
one dish? you're a cook imo
one cuisine? you're a chef.

if I make world class mac and cheese, I'm not a chef. if I make world class soul food, then I'm a chef.

SACR
AG
BMX Bandit said:

Do you not know what 'on the other hand' means?

Do you not consider sushi to be a cuisine?
Furlock Bones
AG
willie wonka said:

I'm amazed how many times Bobby Flay beats those folks at their "specialty dish." That guy is a machine.
dude has years and years of cooking in competition on tv. these people are coming on a to a set Flay knows intimately. he also happens to be a phenomenal chef.
javajaws
AG
I'm cool with using the word chef loosely, but those who have mastered whole cuisines, etc vs those who have perfected a single dish are clearly in different leagues.

Maybe...Chef vs Master Chef?
BigAg95
AG
A chef is the boss of a restaurant kitchen, directing the work of a team of cooks. One can be that no matter how many dishes a place serves.
Matsui
AG
Me too. Love that show. And shocked at how good he is.
FtBendTxAg
AG
The chefs table episode of the illegal Mexican who "mastered" Barbacoa tacos is a pretty solid example. She blessed the corn? Wtf. Terrible episode. Maybe a great chef for Mexican in Philly, but that whole episode was a marginal affair.
The Anchor
AG
SACR said:

BMX Bandit said:

For the record, I didnt know what OTOH stood for and I didnt care to Google it. There is a lot of abbreviations these days.
BMX Bandit
I knew what it meant & stand by my post.

OP talks about cooking 1 dish not making someone a chef, then uses Jiro as example.

He may have meant to convey different message, but the structure wasn't clear.
jwoodmd
willie wonka said:

You do know that show is semi-staged. Yes, Flay is an incredible chef. However, he knows what the signature dishes would be in advance. Haven't you ever wondered why there is some esoteric ingredient magically available for use. It's well documented as such. Although, I do find it entertaining and educational.
steve00
AG
Having eaten at South Philly Barbacoa, I will respectfully disagree. Her food is incredible. It isn't just great for Philadelphia. It is great for anywhere.

Duncan Idaho
The Anchor said:

SACR said:

BMX Bandit said:

For the record, I didnt know what OTOH stood for and I didnt care to Google it. There is a lot of abbreviations these days.

Ha!

FIDKHTG. LOL
Duncan Idaho
FtBendTxAg said:

The chefs table episode of the illegal Mexican who "mastered" Barbacoa tacos is a pretty solid example. She blessed the corn? Wtf. Terrible episode. Maybe a great chef for Mexican in Philly, but that whole episode was a marginal affair.

Typical lib. Why do you have to attack Christian's that bless their meals...you probably just want some kind of government overreach or what you would call "common sense corn control"

Thoughts and prayers work. /forum 16
Joe Exotic
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

FtBendTxAg said:

Typical lib. Why do you have to attack Christian's that bless their meals...you probably just want some kind of government overreach or what you would call "common sense corn control"

Thoughts and prayers work. /forum 16

You're trying too hard
JYDog90
AG
jwoodmd said:

willie wonka said:

You do know that show is semi-staged. Yes, Flay is an incredible chef. However, he knows what the signature dishes would be in advance. Haven't you ever wondered why there is some esoteric ingredient magically available for use. It's well documented as such. Although, I do find it entertaining and educational.

I get all that but who cares? So he cooks it, what, 2 or 3 times before the competition and they've been cooking it for years?

Still a big feat.
Vernada
AG
Bobby Flay is a raging dewsh.

The No Reservations Las Vegas episodes where Bordain gets wasted in one of Flay's restaurants while talking trash about him was one of my all time favorites.
Matsui
AG
Now that I can see his a machine mad props to him. Of course they have to have both candidates signature dish ingridents
SACR
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

Is this the same woman featured in Ugly Delicious in E2 on tacos?
jwoodmd
Vernada said:

Bobby Flay is a raging dewsh.

The No Reservations Las Vegas episodes where Bordain gets wasted in one of Flay's restaurants while talking trash about him was one of my all time favorites.
Flay is a raging dewsh. I love the clip of Gordon Ramsey going from his restaurant in Vegas which is in the same hotel at Flay's looking for Flay at his restaurant. Ramsey's an ass but he's light years beyond Flay's capabilities. Ramsey tries calling Flay, has the chef de cuisine at Flay's restaurant try to call him and no one can get him on the phone. Ramsey skewers Flay and basically calls him an incompetent chicken.
jwoodmd
willie wonka said:

jwoodmd said:

willie wonka said:

I get all that but who cares? So he cooks it, what, 2 or 3 times before the competition and they've been cooking it for years?

Still a big feat.
Isn't it also amazing that the judge panel just so happens to be experts in the type of cuisine being prepared. And do you think Flay's ego would allow that show have him lose 30-40% of the time. He's had more prep work than 2 or 3 times.
Vernada
AG
The whole premise is a level of dewsh only someone like Flay would even consider doing.

Hey, I know you're a working shmuck who cooks for your family and have a dish everyone thinks is great. I'm going to roll into town and show you how pathetically easy it is for me to cook better than you.

**** you bobby. *middle finger salute*
JCA1
AG
"Beat Bobby Flay" seems to be Flay's recognition of his reputation for being a dewsh and he seems to accept the role. He's actually grown on me. Didn't use to like him but now I do. The exact opposite of Bourdain. Read his book and used to watch his shows but he eventually became pretty much unbearable for me. I always found it incredibly ironic that he would bad mouth Guy Fieri at every chance he got for Triple D. Hey jackarse, you made the same show, only international. Never understood why celebrating a mom and pop shop in Singapore was the height of culture and refinement but highlighting one in Topeka was apparently unacceptable. Pure elitism. Drove me away.
Vernada
AG
Only a dewsh would accept the role and relish in it.

Did I say '**** you bobby' yet?

If not,

**** you bobby
JCA1
AG
Vernada said:

Only a dewsh would accept the role and relish in it.

Did I say '**** you bobby' yet?

If not,

**** you bobby

See, that's where I disagree somewhat. To me, one of the prerequisites for being a full blown dewsh is a complete lack of self awareness. So, in a weird way, acknowledging your dewshiness actually diminishes your dewshiness.
steve00
AG
If you don't see a clear difference between Bourdain and Fieri, then I guess I'm wasting my time with this critique. I'll try anyway. I watch both shows. If I want to be mentally stimulated, I watch Bourdain. If I want to veg out and not think much, I watch DDD. They both have a place, but they are nothing alike.
Vernada
AG
Can someone get any more elite than having an entire ****ing show who's entire purpose is to belittle the everyday person?

Good grief. **** bobby flay.
jwoodmd
Vernada said:

Can someone get any more elite than having an entire ****ing show who's entire purpose is to belittle the everyday person?

Good grief. **** bobby flay.
Oh my - you really don't like Flay. I respect that.
SACR
AG
BMX Bandit said:

I knew what it meant & stand by my post.

OP talks about cooking 1 dish not making someone a chef, then uses Jiro as example.

He may have meant to convey different message, but the structure wasn't clear.
You're talking to the OP.

Saying 'on the other hand, Jiro has mastered sushi, and I don't think anyone has a problem calling him a great chef', i.e. as opposed to these people who have mastered a dish, Jiro has mastered a cuisine, and people call him a great chef.

Leads into the next sentence:

But are you a great chef if you only master one cuisine?

These are open-ended questions.

There is nothing wrong with the structure of the post, the problem is with your comprehension.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.