Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Question about Crawfish

3,651 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by n_touch
Science Denier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Did a batch this weekend, and they were the largest of the season. I know the cold weather we've been having this far into crawfish season didn't help, but will this mean the season will go on later? In the past, when May hits, they start getting smaller.

Can we expect large crawfish into June this year?
Beckdiesel03
AG
We had a boil this weekend too and they were huge. Some of the biggest a lot of us had seen in awhile. Curious about this too.
20ags08
AG
Did a boil 2 weeks ago and had some massive crawfish. Got more meat out of the claws than some tails usually have.
Matsui
AG
Went to a boil about 1 month ago and like reported huge crawfish. Biggest I've ever seen.
FlyFish95
Crawfish have been big this year in LA.
Unemployed
AG
Matsui said:

Went to a boil about 1 month ago and like reported huge crawfish. Biggest I've ever seen.
Damn...it can't be a coincidence. I just had some crawfish for lunch and they're the biggest I've ever seen, too.
Science Denier
AG
RealTalk said:

Matsui said:

Damn...it can't be a coincidence. I just had some crawfish for lunch and they're the biggest I've ever seen, too.

Today? Wow.
TxSquarebody
Had some at BB's just now...freaking huge!
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Still relatively cool at night in crawfish country, hopefully another couple weeks of good bugs
n_touch
Our supplier is hoping to keep them coming until July. We will see, been a good year for them.
Cassius
Maybe it's lots of fresh water.

The Red River is muddy and very high from all the rain we've had. The atchafalaya river spawns from there. I'm sure the swamp is flooded like it hasn't been in years.

My dad's lake near him is up 14 ft.
Science Denier
AG
I've decided I'm gonna do a boil next Saturday. They were still pretty big this weekend, thought I was out of town.
CajunAggie
AG
It's been a very good season, but usually, when June hits, the crawfish shells start getting harder and tougher, even if the bugs are bigger. I had some last Wednesday and they were pretty big across the board but tough and hard to peel. My supplier here in Katy -- Big N -- is done for the year. Sweet spot of the season is usually March - April - May.

On a side note, I probably ate more crawfish this year than I ever have, so no complaints!
n_touch
n_touch
CajunAggie said:

It's been a very good season, but usually, when June hits, the crawfish shells start getting harder and tougher, even if the bugs are bigger. I had some last Wednesday and they were pretty big across the board but tough and hard to peel. My supplier here in Katy -- Big N -- is done for the year. Sweet spot of the season is usually March - April - May.

On a side note, I probably ate more crawfish this year than I ever have, so no complaints!
Agreed
Science Denier
AG
I saw the crawfish on Sunday, and they were still large and were not difficult to peel. I hoping they still have one more good week.

I agree that June is very late for crawfish, but this has been a very late year. The crawfish we had on Easter were not big at all.

I will report back next week.
Science Denier
AG
Well, the crawfish were huge. Yes, their shells were a tad harder, but I only really noticed because I was looking for that. On a scale of 1-10, I'd say they were about a 6 where normally I'd rate the hardness around a 5.

That was our last boil of the year. It was a tremendous year and I don't EVER remember them being this big this late in the year.
amanda04
AG
What is it that makes the shells harder? The last batch we boiled also had extremely hard shells, probably the hardest I've ever had before.
Science Denier
AG
Crawfish molt. This late in the season, those crawfish have gone a longer time before molting. Makes them black and hard.

But, still tasty.

I think that's it.
Cassius
Hit em hard with lemon juice - citric acid - to try to soften the calcium.
n_touch
Correct
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.