Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

The fat duck - London

1,797 Views | 4 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jwoodmd
Talon2DSO
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone ever been?
jwoodmd
Yes. It's Londonish - not central but burbs. Looking at it specifically as you'll be near or looking for a top end (Michelin starred) restaraunt in London.
jwoodmd
Did not see any more info on what you're looking for but I went ahead and asked a surgeon friend of mine in London to ask her husband who is a Michelin inspector for info. Not all three stars are the same. When I've had dinner with them they will say while all three stars meet the criteria for three stars, a certain chef is still in a category above. Below is the response I got - hope it helps.

------------------------------

Fat Duck is great of course. However, I would say Gordon Ramsay still is best even though he's got the famous name so some think its marketing. Some famous chefs are overmarketed like Ducasse (he didn't like losing stars!), but Ramsey is still the real deal and leading the way. And if they look, his 3star offers inexpensive lunch menus if they are wanting to experience it without spending a million dollars. Another good place for them to go is Core; it's a two star, and it chef is the woman who was the chef de cuisine for Ramsay when he got three stars.
Talon2DSO
AG
That's awesome thank you! I'm actually thinking of planning a trip out there based on when my dinner reservations are. This is a big help!
Fall92
AG
I had perhaps the best meal I've ever had at Ramsey's Petrus in London It only has one star. I thought it was better than The Ledbury and Portland.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
jwoodmd
Fall92 said:

I had perhaps the best meal I've ever had at Ramsey's Petrus in London It only has one star. I thought it was better than The Ledbury and Portland.
Yes, that's a great one as well. I agree that sometimes I've enjoyed the dinner more at a one or two than a three star. Though, I've had some incredible ones at three stars. It's a lot of your tastes and the type of cuisine. For casual (and some semi-formal) dining, the Michelin Guide has a category of Bib Gourmand - these are some of the best dining you can find. They have to be a certain quality (some may be on the edge of getting a star) and under certain prices - so the quality/price ratio is unusually high. They are really an overlooked/overshadowed part of the Michelin guide. The inspector we know admits that when it's a group of friends and/or family and it's on their own dime, the Bib Gourmands are their go to places.

ETA: for example, in London look at Hereford Road which is a Bib Gourmand. Incredible food for extremely reasonable prices.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.