Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Boneless Leg of Lamb - Pellet Grill

2,336 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by normaleagle05
ValleyRatAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'd like to introduce my kiddos to leg of lamb. I'll be using a pellet grill to cook it. I'd like some input on your favorite lamb recipes and cooking methods. Kids are good with medium rare.

- Butterfly smoke and reverse sear?
- Butterfly and traditional grill?
- Tie up as a roast and smoke/reverse sear?
- Tied up as roast and traditional roasted, no smoke, no reverse sear?
- Seasoning/marinade/dry brine/ wet brine?

Let me know your favorites, I love lamb but it has been 10 years since I cooked a leg of lamb.

FIDO*98*
AG
Butterfly, score diamond pattern, rub with salt-pepper-garlic-rosemary-mint paste. Vacuum seal 24 hours, Sous vide 12-20 hours, sear on the BGE

I'm usually one of the first to say Sous Vide is overused and over hyped, but, for Leg of Lamb it's perfect.
HTownAg98
What is the temperature for the water bath?
FIDO*98*
AG

Here's a rack at 130 I did for Easter. Same recipe as above except Sous Vide is only 2-3 hours. The leg needs more time to break down connective tissue.

Dr. Horrible
Sous Vide is definitely the way to go. My wife loves lamb, and being Austrailian, she's been eating it her whole life. When we did sous vide with the leg of lamb for Easter, she basically said she's not sure she can ever eat it any other way.

I didn't do any pre-sear, but I could see that being a nice option.
Lots of fresh garlic and herbs, salt and pepper, with a little olive oil
24+ hours at 129
Broil for 10 minutes in the oven on a rack (one of these days, I'll do this step on the grill, but I've been lazy)

I'd tried smoking it before, and it was good, but nothing near this.
ValleyRatAg
AG
Thank you for the feed back, Fido that food looks amazing.
ValleyRatAg
AG
Can you share a recipe for the mint paste?
HTownAg98
ValleyRatAg said:

Use this. Cut the mustard to one tablespoon of leave it out, double the mint, omit the brown sugar, and strip and chop the rosemary and add it to the marinade. I'm going to use the linked recipe for some lamb this week.
https://www.foodnetwork.com/recipes/alton-brown/silence-of-the-leg-o-lamb-recipe-1910085
HTownAg98
I did a leg of lamb similar to Fido's method. Marinade was the Alton Brown leg of lamb marinade done overnight. Then sous vide 132 degrees for 12 hours, and flash seared on my Weber kettle. Best lamb ever.
FIDO*98*
AG
ValleyRatAg said:

I just throw a big bunch of mint (probably 2 cups worth), Rosemary sprigs from about 10" of a rosemary stem, and about a dozen cloves of
Garlic in the food processor. Then add probably 1/2c of kosher salt and a few tablespoons of black pepper. Give it a few pulses and then drizzle olive oil until it loosens up a bit and process until consistency of pesto. Nothing to it
DVC2010
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Butterfly, score diamond pattern, rub with salt-pepper-garlic-rosemary-mint paste. Vacuum seal 24 hours, Sous vide 12-20 hours, sear on the BGE

I'm usually one of the first to say Sous Vide is overused and over hyped, but, for Leg of Lamb it's perfect.

What does the scoring do for you?
normaleagle05
AG
There is a fat cap on the outside. Scoring gets seasoning mix to the meat on that side and makes for smaller fat pieces that crisp nicely and pull uniformly when seared.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.