Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

141,863 Views | 1129 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Flying Crowbar
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I hope you like Triple Sec cuz you just bought 3 of them! Grand Marnier is dope tho.
mazag08
AG
SpiderDude said:

I hope you like Triple Sec cuz you just bought 3 of them! Grand Marnier is dope tho.

Hah! Different flavor profiles and alcohol percentages. I already owned those 3 though.
SpiderDude
AG
mazag08 said:

SpiderDude said:

Hah! Different flavor profiles and alcohol percentages. I already owned those 3 though.

Ah, got it. Another bottle to consider adding would be an absinthe.
mazag08
AG
Oh I have that. Forgot to include it. Wife is obsessed with sazeracs.
Post removed:
by user
Scotts Tot
AG
Question about egg white...

We're not thrilled about eating raw eggs, so I've tried making sours using pasteurized egg white from a carton. I've tried a couple of times and it just doesn't come out great. Once I did a dry then wet shake, the other time I reversed that, adding egg after the wet shake, then dry shaking. Even with a very vigorous shake, I'm not able to build much froth, and it's also imparted a slight unpleasant note to the flavor of the drink.

I'm wondering if others have had success using pasteurized whites. I assume the problem is either that the commercial product in the carton does not work as well as a fresh egg, or that this particular brand of egg whites (Trader Joe's) doesn't work well for some reason.
aggielax48
AG
Try aquafaba.
SpiderDude
AG
This cocktail is legit y'all:

Even if you don't love Campari you will probably like this cocktail (assuming you like gin). The grape softens the bitter edge of the Campari. This cocktail is incredibly well balanced. Not too sweet, not too sour, just the right bitter notes. I could drink 10 of these. It just sips so easy.
SpiderDude
AG
Bump for the most involved cocktail I've made to date.

https://instagr.am/p/CFL0qXWsttj
SpiderDude
AG
HTownAg98 said:

I've been making these all week, and they're quite good.

Thank you again for posting this... it's become a go to for me. I consider it in the margarita family for sure but the Amaro adds a unique complexity.

Edit: I don't use liquid smoke tho. I sub out about half an ounce of mezcal for the Tequila. I've tried it with the liquid smoke but not a huge fan of the mesquite note.
jh0400
AG
Any recs for cocktails that use sweet vermouth but don't require a lot of other hard to find a use for ingredients? I bought a bottle of Carpano Antica to make boulevardiers and possibly a Manhattan later.
West Point Aggie
AG
jh0400 said:

Any recs for cocktails that use sweet vermouth but don't require a lot of other hard to find a use for ingredients? I bought a bottle of Carpano Antica to make boulevardiers and possibly a Manhattan later.

I like a vodka Manhattan

2 parts vodka
1 part sweet vermouth
1/2 part St Germain
Orange bitters
2 luxardo cherries
SpiderDude
AG
There's lots of options if you like gin as well. This is a good app by Steve the Bartender... you can search by specific ingredient. I plugged in sweet vermouth and it brought up no less than 14 cocktails.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shakeandstraincocktails
SpiderDude
AG
I made a pretty damn good whiskey sour tonight with Amaro Braulio. The proportions were roughly:
2oz rye
.5oz Amaro Braulio
1 oz Lemon Juice
.75oz simple (you can back off to .5oz if you prefer less sweet/ more tart)
1 egg white
Dry shake then shake with ice.
SquirrellyDan
AG
I may get crap for this but oh well....I've recently been making vodka cranberries, but with real cranberry juice not cranberry cocktail. It gives it a really tart taste, adds no sugar, and you can make a super strong drink that tastes really good in my opinion. I throw an orange peel in it and shake the haters off.
lazuras_dc
AG
Had an Aviation for the first time last night. Fantastic.
SpiderDude
AG
Submitted by GarlandAg2012 on the bourbon thread:

RECIPE (as published in Town & County magazine's Aug. 2013 issue):
2 oz Bulleit Bourbon
1/2 Carpano Antica Formula vermouth
1 tsp Crown Maple dark amber syrup
3 dashes Bar Keep apple bitters
Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass and stir with ice. Strain over large ice cubes in a rocks glass and garnish with an orange peel and brandied cherry.
BOULEVARDIER, 408 N. Bishop, Ste. 108, Oak Cliff, Dallas
SpiderDude
AG
Even my wife (generally not a cocktail fan) was on board with this one.

Flying Crowbar
AG
That is a good cocktail! Thanks for posting it.
HTownAg98
I've been drinking Rusty Nails lately. They smell like your uncle's living room after 20 years of cigarettes and despair, but actually taste good.

3 parts blended scotch
1 part Drambuie

Pour over ice and stir.
MarylandAG
Hmmm, another interesting appropriate bump.
jwright4288
AG
I drink scotch almost exclusively and I love a good rusty nail. Such a simple drink that really hits the spot. I recently aged a rusty nail in an oak barrel and it was fantastic as well.
HTownAg98
Tonight it is hot buttered rum.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2010/01/time-for-a-drink-hot-buttered-rum-recipe.html
SpiderDude
AG
Tulio:
1 part coffee infused Cynar
1 part Campari
1.5 parts bourbon

https://www.myneworleans.com/tulio/

SpiderDude
AG
Sipping on a Paper Plane. Hadn't made one in a while. Damn that's a great cocktail. Used OGD114 as the bourbon. Cheers.
Scotts Tot
AG
Talk to me about your Manhattan preferences. I've dabbled around but feel like I haven't optimized based on my liking.

Antica Formula, Dolin, or other?
Favorite ryes for a Manhattan?
Whiskey:vermouth ratio?
What about cocktail cherries? Anyone have a good sub for Luxardo? Those things are expensive.
Mr Gigem
AG
The White Lady:

1.5oz Tanqueray Gin
1oz Cointreau
.5oz fresh lemon juice
1 egg white

Add ingredients to shaker tin. Dry shake. Add ice then shake again. Double strain.

Aggie Hunter
AG
I'm have recently become addicted to the Old Fashion. I love experiencing with different bourbons but what is everyone's favorite recipe. Also, all my research shows that the cherry was not in the original?
kithas
AG
Interesting that the cocktail is dry shake first.

We recently discovered Empress 1908 Gin. They have a similar cocktail recipe (Q1908), but the first shake is with ice. Tasty stuff, and it looks great in the glass.

That gun is a very deep purple and it makes for some visually pleasing cocktails that taste good to boot.
HTownAg98
A level bar spoon of sugar
2-3 dashes of bitters
A bar spoon of water
2 oz spirit (or free pour)

Muddle the sugar, water, and bitters. All of the sugar won't dissolve. That's fine. Pour in the booze. Top with cracked ice (big cubes look cool, but don't do much for the drink). Stir a couple of times. Rim the glass with an orange peel (lemon if you're using rye), and drop in the peel. Consume.

It keep it really simple, but you can go a lot of different directions with it. Personally, I like higher proof booze for the old-fashioned, but it's up to your taste.
Here's David Wondrich showing how it's done.
Aggie Hunter
AG
I need to try and muddle the sugar. I started with sugar and moved to syrup just because I couldn't get it right.
Mr Gigem
AG
It is simply to emulsify the egg white
Mr Gigem
AG
Specs for my Old Fashioned

1oz Wild Turkey 101
1oz Four Roses Yellow Label
.25 oz simple
Orange twist
Cherry

I've used sugar before, but have trouble getting all of it to dissolve. I've heard that soda water can help with that
Aggie Hunter
AG
First person I known to mix the bourbons. Very interesting. I guess the cherry is like Ford or Chevy. Guess I'm old school I'm a no cherry guy.
HTownAg98
Aggie Hunter said:

I need to try and muddle the sugar. I started with sugar and moved to syrup just because I couldn't get it right.

The sugar won't dissolve completely when muddling. More will dissolve when you and the booze, ice, and stir. I'm with David in that people that complain about sugar crystals in the bottom of the glass need to find something better to complain about.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.