Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

141,865 Views | 1129 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Flying Crowbar
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Beast mode Boulvardier.

2oz Old Grandad Bonded
1oz Campari
1oz Sweet Vermouth
2 dashes of homemade cherry bitters
Expressed lemon peel
Profit
Johnsy3
AG
Made a Vieux Carre tonight, first time trying it. Super delicious

1oz Rye
1oz Sweet Vermouth
1oz Cognac
.5oz Benedictine
2 dashes Angostura bitters
2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
Garnish with lemon and a luxardo

I used Armagnac instead of cognac because I like how it's a bit more spicy/herbal
mazag08
AG
Johnsy3 said:

Made a Vieux Carre tonight, first time trying it. Super delicious

1oz Rye
1oz Sweet Vermouth
1oz Cognac
.5oz Benedictine
2 dashes Angostura bitters
2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
Garnish with lemon and a luxardo

I used Armagnac instead of cognac because I like how it's a bit more spicy/herbal

Made this tonight. Used Pierre Ferrand Cognac and peach bitters since I didn't have Peyschauds. Tastes like a sweeter, milder, Boulevardier. Very enjoyable. Thanks for the recipe.

Forgot the garnish. Don't judge.
SpiderDude
AG
Some July 4th Cocktails I mixed up yesterday. Zombie, Ships in the Night, and a Modern Aviation.

Johnsy3
AG
What's all in those drinks? That last one looks great
SpiderDude
AG
Johnsy3 said:

What's all in those drinks? That last one looks great

Zombie:
1 1/2 oz Puerto Rican golden rum
1 1/2 oz Jamaican rum
1 oz demerara 151 rum
1/2 oz Donn's Mix (2:1 mix of grapefruit juice & cinnamon syrup)
1/2 oz velvet falernum
3/4 oz lime juice
1/4 oz grenadine
2 dashes absinthe
1 dash angostura bitters

Ships in the Night:
1oz white rum
1oz Gin
1oz Cognac
1oz Orgeat
1oz Velvet Falernum
2oz Citrus juice (I typically use equal parts lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit)

Modern Aviation:
2oz gin
.5oz Maraschino Liqueur
.25oz Creme de Violette
.75oz lemon
2 dash cherry bitters
Scotts Tot
AG
Random topic...anyone have some advice on how to use Boston shakers to easily unseal after shaking? I got a nice Koriko set, and for the life of me I can't consistently get those things unsealed without awkwardly squeezing the sides from different angles until they finally come undone. Bartenders seem to easily do this with one whack of the palm and it's driving me crazy...
SpiderDude
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

Random topic...anyone have some advice on how to use Boston shakers to easily unseal after shaking? I got a nice Koriko set, and for the life of me I can't consistently get those things unsealed without awkwardly squeezing the sides from different angles until they finally come undone. Bartenders seem to easily do this with one whack of the palm and it's driving me crazy...

http://trycocktail.com/tips-tricks/shake-cocktail/
See #6. There are also numerous YouTube videos if you search for using Boston Shaker.
austinag1997
AG
Old Fashioned....

Use brown sugar, Cardomom bitters, and Luxardo cherry. When making simple syrup, use 3 tsp of water, and liberal shakes of bitters.

Perfection.
SpiderDude
AG
https://instagr.am/p/CCUzejMMjLX
Johnsy3
AG
SpiderDude said:

What's your Top 5 Cocktails? Mine are:

1) Satan's Circus
2) The Clover Club
3) Pistols at Dawn
4) The French Blonde
5) Mexican Martini/Margarita

1. Vieux Carre
2. Margarita
3. Old Fashioned
4. French 75
5. Moscow Mule
Furlock Bones
AG
A fellow Vieux Carre lover.

1) Vieux Carre
2) Manhattan
3) whiskey sour
4) margarita
5) Aperol Spritz
Scotts Tot
AG
Sitting around the house:
1. Rye Sidecar
2. Whiskey Sour (maybe should be 1B)
3. Old Fashioned
4. Negroni (1.5 : 1 : 0.5)
5. Jungle Bird

By the pool or at the beach (disclaimer...currently on a rum/tiki kick):
1. Mai Tai
2. Jungle Bird
3. Painkiller
4. Daiquiri (the real kind)
5. Pina Colada
Max Power
AG
Made the wife and I some pina coladas for hanging around the pool this evening. I made the cream of coconut instead of just using Coco Lopez. I highly recommend making your own, really ups the flavor.
SpiderDude
AG
Max Power said:

Made the wife and I some pina coladas for hanging around the pool this evening. I made the cream of coconut instead of just using Coco Lopez. I highly recommend making your own, really ups the flavor.

Post your recipe!!!
Max Power
AG
I used Steve the bartenders recipe.

1 can full fat coconut milk (400 ml)
1.75 cups white sugar (375 g)
Pinch of salt

Heat all in a saucepan on low heat until the sugar is completely dissolved. Store in a mason jar in the fridge. Shake well before use. Minimal effort, great results.
SpiderDude
AG
Thanks for sharing! I did some digging and the other recipes I found were much more labor intensive! I was like "yeah I'm too lazy for that!" LOL. The one you posted is much more reasonable. I wasn't about to start cracking, shelling and peeling coconut.
Max Power
AG
Yea, no more labor intensive than making a simple syrup. I used a can of Thai Kitchen organic coconut milk. Anything more complicated than what I posted likely would have diminishing returns on the additional effort. This stuff tastes like the beach, in the best way. Makes a pina colada or painkiller that much more dangerous. Luckily I can get that coconut milk and cold pressed pineapple juice at my local Costco. Enjoy!
HTownAg98
Max Power said:

Yea, no more labor intensive than making a simple syrup. I used a can of Thai Kitchen organic coconut milk. Anything more complicated than what I posted likely would have diminishing returns on the additional effort. This stuff tastes like the beach, in the best way. Makes a pina colada or painkiller that much more dangerous. Luckily I can get that coconut milk and cold pressed pineapple juice at my local Costco. Enjoy!

You might give this one a try. You freeze everything beforehand and then blend it.
https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2017/07/pina-colada-tropical-rum-cocktail-pineapple-coconut-recipe.html
Max Power
AG
Ironically I made a batch of Stella Parks pineapple ice cream yesterday, it's OUTSTANDING! I just need to drop that in a blender with some rum and I'll be in business.
SpiderDude
AG
This just got added to my regular rotation! In the Paper Plane family. Badass cocktail boys (and girls)!

SpiderDude
AG
Digging on these equal parts cocktails tonight! The Last Word. Another great one! I used Waterloo Antique Gin.

Image is from the Shake and Strain app by Steve the Bartender.
Flying Crowbar
AG
https://imgur.com/a/JtiKqwI

I've been making Pistols at Dawn a lot since I discovered the cocktail around mid-March. It's probably my favorite cocktail right now.
lazuras_dc
AG
What's your pistols at dawn recipe ?
mazag08
AG
Looks like there's two out there.

One is a holiday drink with Irish whiskey, brown sugar coffee syrup, maple syrup, and cream.

The other is a more everyday cocktail with bourbon, Ancho Reyes, ginger, agave syrup, splash of Cabernet Sauvignon.

Making the second would see futile to me since I'd have to buy a liquer I likely wouldn't use for anything else, and I'd have to open a bottle of cab specifically for a "splash".

The first seems pretty easy. I would simple syrup using brown sugar and coffee instead of regular sugar and water. I might do this anyway as it sounds interesting.

Edit: apparently brown sugar coffee syrup is merely a syrup used in coffee, not with coffee as an ingredient. It requires sugar, brown sugar, water, and vanilla.
lazuras_dc
AG
Yea I googled it and saw the same thing but seeing what folks recipes are as far as which one and how much of each ingredient they use.
Flying Crowbar
AG
I use the one that SpiderDude posted on page 1:

Pistols at Dawn
1 oz Bulleit (calls for bourbon, but I use rye)
1 oz Ancho Reyes
.75 ginger agave syrup
1 oz lemon juice
Cabernet sauvignon splash over the top (~1 oz or so)

Add ingredients (except Cab Sauvignon) to shaker filled with ice. Shake for 45 sec. pour into coupe glass. Add Cab Sauvignon by pouring it down the rim of the glass. It should create a layer on top of the bourbon mix.

SpiderDude
AG
mazag08 said:

Making the second would see futile to me since I'd have to buy a liquer I likely wouldn't use for anything else, and I'd have to open a bottle of cab specifically for a "splash".

Ancho Reyes is the tits. You can use it in Ritas also!

Edit: Or this...
mazag08
AG
I don't make a lot of ritas. But I might grab a bottle just so I don't have excuses.
SpiderDude
AG
Oooohhh... that's good! If you hurry over I'll let you try some.
lazuras_dc
AG
Any big difference between the red and green Ancho Reyes ? Just picked up a bottle of the green going to try the Pistols at Dawn and maybe a spicy margarita tomorrow.
SpiderDude
AG
lazuras_dc said:

Any big difference between the red and green Ancho Reyes ? Just picked up a bottle of the green going to try the Pistols at Dawn and maybe a spicy margarita tomorrow.

Haven't had the green. I'm sure it's great too though.
Flying Crowbar
AG
We made a cocktail last night that was just Ancho Reyes and bourbon. We put both bottles in the freezer for a couple hours, then mixed about 1/4 - 1/2 oz of AR with 2 oz of the bourbon.

Good Lord, it was delicious.
mazag08
AG
Kinda threw some stuff together just now. Came out pretty good.

Rinse glass with Marischino liquer
2 ounces rye whiskey
.5 ounce Aperol
1 ounce dry vermouth
Splash of St Germaine

Pretty damned good.
mazag08
AG
And after my specs run today, I'm pretty stocked up on liquers.

Campari
Aperol
St Germaine
Licor 43
Kahlua
Benedictine
Luxardo Marischino
Grand Marnier
Patron Citronage
Triple Sec
Disaronno

Anything I'm missing? I need to get Green Chartreuse for sure.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.