Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

141,936 Views | 1129 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Flying Crowbar
texas.aggie.2010
How long do you want to ignore this user?
What is everyone's favorite Bloody Mary mix or recipe? Im partial to an old grandad or very old Barton bourbon replacing the vodka.
Old Ag 74
AG
texas.aggie.2010 said:

What is everyone's favorite Bloody Mary mix or recipe? Im partial to an old grandad or very old Barton bourbon replacing the vodka.
I've tried lots of mixes and tried making my own bloody Mary's from scratch, but the best mix I've found is ZingZang. They have it at H EB. Just add fresh squeezed lime juice and your favorite vodka and you have a great bloody Mary.
Canyon99
One of my summer cocktails is a Horsefeather. I was skeptical before trying the first time but it is quite good. Not sure if it has been posted as I don't want to go through the entire thread.

2 parts rye whiskey
3-4 parts ginger beer
4 dashes of Angostura bitters

Pour over ice. Some people add a squeeze of lemon or lime but I skip that part.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Put together a ginger beer "margarita" yesterday for Cinco, turned out way better than I thought it would and I will probably make it again. Ran out of limes so had to get creative.

• 1.5 oz Tequila - I used reposado
  • 3 oz Ginger beer
  • Splash of Cointreau
  • Juice of 1 lemon
  • Splash of water

Threw it all in a shaker then poured over ice. Super smooth and well balanced drink.
Max Power
AG
Since I'm never going to the bar again I decided to start doing cocktails at the house. I took the dive and got some basic cocktail equipment on amazon. Got some bitters, oranges, and Luxardo cherries this week, plan on making myself an old fashioned this weekend.
Flying Crowbar
AG
I tried that glass-smoking technique tonight, and it worked great.
SpiderDude
AG
Senor Cardgage said:

I tried that glass-smoking technique tonight, and it worked great.

Smoked this bad boy last night for Cinco de Mayo.

https://instagr.am/p/B_1O-S7jdeE
SpiderDude
AG
Tried this one tonight. My own personal riff on a Pisco Sour.

https://instagr.am/p/B_32GLIDphk
mazag08
AG
I'm certainly not fancy. But these 3 quick and simple cocktails pleased both the young and the old moms yesterday.

Mezcal Paloma (ish)

1 oz mezcal
1 oz 1800 Silver
2 oz central market Italian grapefruit soda
1/2 oz Squirt
1 oz fresh squeezed lime juice
Dash of salt
1 tbsp agave syrup
Salted lime garnish

Lemon vodka soda (fancier than most)

2.5 oz lemon vodka (I used homemade), deep eddy works well.
1/2 oz Patron citronage
1 oz HEB sweetened lemon sparkling water
1 oz central market Italian lemon soda
Splash of Squirt
Juice from 1 large lemon
Sugar coated lemon garnish

Berry rhubarb gin and tonic

Muddled blackberries
2 oz Boodles Strawberry Rhubarb gin
2 oz tonic
Juice from one large lime
Tiny splash of Simply berry juice
MW03
AG
It's not fancy, though I'm sure there are ways to liven it up if you were so inclined, but I've been hooked on the gold rush lately. It's basically an iced hot toddy, but man it's hard to beat when the heat is on and you want to kick back in a patio chair and look at your yard.

2 oz bourbon
.75 oz honey syrup
.75 oz lemon

Shaken like hell, then served on the rocks.

I know there are people with the time to squeeze 100 lemons/limes to make drinks, but I recent started going with the bottled stuff the Sprouts near me sells. You pay a little more to get the kind that's not from concentrate, but man is it worth it to save some time.

Little trick I have picked up. If you make your honey syrup (3 parts water to 1 part honey) with hot water, it'll incorporate the honey a lot easier, and consequently make your shaking easier.

Anyway, highly recommend this one.
Chipotlemonger
AG
I did something similar tonight, albeit with way different ratios. We have a lemon tree in the backyard so I hit the lemon juice hard.

Shot Jameson
Juice of 1 small lemon
Small bit of sugar
Splash of sparkling water

Stirred the last 3 ingredients then added ice and the Jameson. Nice whiskey sour kind of drink.
SpiderDude
AG
MW03 said:

It's not fancy, though I'm sure there are ways to liven it up if you were so inclined, but I've been hooked on the gold rush lately. It's basically an iced hot toddy, but man it's hard to beat when the heat is on and you want to kick back in a patio chair and look at your yard.

2 oz bourbon
.75 oz honey syrup
.75 oz lemon

Shaken like hell, then served on the rocks.

I know there are people with the time to squeeze 100 lemons/limes to make drinks, but I recent started going with the bottled stuff the Sprouts near me sells. You pay a little more to get the kind that's not from concentrate, but man is it worth it to save some time.

Little trick I have picked up. If you make your honey syrup (3 parts water to 1 part honey) with hot water, it'll incorporate the honey a lot easier, and consequently make your shaking easier.

Anyway, highly recommend this one.

I think you mean 3 parts honey to 1 part water!
MW03
AG
Yes. What he said.
Max Power
AG
Made my own old fashioned this weekend, very nice. Never been a fan of granulated sugar in the bottom of one so I made a simple syrup out of turbinado sugar and went with that, three dashes of bitters, orange peel, one Luxardo cherry, hot damn it was great. My wife doesn't drink brown liquor, but I could tell she was considering it, it's basically a perfect cocktail. Perhaps I can get her to drink bourbon if I offer her some other cocktails. Might see if I can convince her to partake in a gold rush, simple and tasty.
HTownAg98
After a particularly rough week last week, I needed a straight up boozy cocktail. This did it.
The Old Pal
2 parts rye whiskey
1 part Campari
1 part dry vermouth
If you're not a fan of bitter, add a couple flakes of kosher salt.
Combine over ice, stir (don't shake it), and strain into a chilled glass.
MW03
AG
Here's to a better week, amigo.
Baby Billy
HTownAg98
MW03 said:

Here's to a better week, amigo.

Thank you senor. It has started out much better.
SpiderDude
AG
Nice. Sort of a strong martini version of a Boulvardier!
SkiMo
AG
My go to cocktail that I always make at home is

The Martinez

Take a coupe glass and throw it into the freezer while you make it

2 oz Old Tom Gin (I use Ransom)
.75 oz Sweet Vermouth (at least middle of the road quality.. I use Dolin Rouge)
.25 oz Cherry Liqueur (there is no substituting here...Luxardo is the only way)
3 dashes of Angostura bitters

Plop all into a mixing glass with ice and stir stir stir.

Let sit while you scrape off your lemon peel

Retrieve cooled glass, strain, twist lemon over drink and circle the rim with the lemon. Throw peel inside, and garnish with a Luxardo cherry.

Enjoy!

*note: 1 oz = 1 jigger

MW03
AG
I just want to say God bless ranch water.
RK
AG
Had a few of those tonight. Simple yet effective.

But those "proper" cocktails sure do look good.
Scotts Tot
AG
I made a similar post on the bourbon thread and got good responses, so I would like to ask something similar here..

In your home bar, what are your favorite "house" liquors that you typically keep on hand for making cocktails? Good bang-for-buck labels that make great cocktails, but not top shelf stuff you wouldn't want to mix. I'm familiar with a lot the whiskies out there, but not so much with other base spirits. So what are your go-tos?

Whiskey (bourbon, rye, and scotch)
Gin (London Dry and other)
Tequila (blanco and reposado)
Rum (light and dark)
Vodka (I don't really use vodka for anything but others might be interested)
lazuras_dc
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

I made a similar post on the bourbon thread and got good responses, so I would like to ask something similar here..

In your home bar, what are your favorite "house" liquors that you typically keep on hand for making cocktails? Good bang-for-buck labels that make great cocktails, but not top shelf stuff you wouldn't want to mix. I'm familiar with a lot the whiskies out there, but not so much with other base spirits. So what are your go-tos?

Rum (light and dark)

I like this game

For me right now:
Buffalo Trace (or four roses) , Bulleit Rye, Chivas regal
Tanqueray
Herradura
Flor de Cana
Titos
SpiderDude
AG
Whiskeys: BT or RRSB, OF or High West Double Rye, Monkey Shoulder.
Gin: Treaty Oak (Waterloo)
Tequila: No real preference for mixing as long as it's 100% de agave...I do like Dobel Diamante cuz it doubled as both a plata or reposado.
Rum: Love trying different rums. Just bought a Cruzan Blackstrap that's a damn good sipper.
Vodka: Tito's or Wheatley.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Whiskeys: Laphroaig 10, some kind of rye like Rittenhouse (out), at least one bourbon like Elijah Craig, Four Roses, or Belle Meade
Gin: St. George - this is really good
Vodka: Tito's (out) or some small producer
Tequila: Casamigos more often than not, I enjoy both the blanco and reposado. Need to branch out more here for blancos.
Curveball: Lillet Rose. Great liqueur.

Edit to add: bourbon I really switch up a lot and am a fan of a lot of different ones.
HTownAg98
Whiskey: Bulleit for bourbon, Rittenhouse or Sazerac for rye.
Vodka: whatever is cheapest in a glass bottle. Right now, it is Monopolowa.
Gin: Ford's for martinis, Beefeater for G&T
Tequila: El Jimador.
Rum: Flor de Cana extra seco.
Other stuff: Dolin sweet and dry vermouth, Campari, St. Germain, and a triple sec.
aggielax48
AG
Evan Williams Bonded
El Distilador 99
Ukrainian Heritage
Hendricks (not budget but like the flavor profile)
Wildcard, I like the KWV South African brandy
mazag08
AG
Whiskey

Bulleit Rye, Old Forester 100 proof bourbon, Monkey Shoulder blended scotch, Sazerac rye specifically for making a Sazerac

Gin

Bombay Sapphire, The Gin Factory Scotland Rosemary, Boodles, Boodles Strawberry Rhubarb

Tequila

1800 Silver, El Jimador Anejo, Partida Resposado, Yuu Baal Joven Espaden Mezcal

Rum

Koloa White Rum, Koloa Dark Rum, Koloa Gold Rum

Vodka

Chopin Wheat Vodka, Nikka Coffey Vodka, Stolichnaya Vodka, and multiple deep eddy flavors, usually lemon and grapefruit
MW03
AG
FlyFisher09 said:

Rum (light and dark)
For cocktails, I stick to the following for the most part:

Bourbon: Buffalo Trace, Weller SR
Rye: Bulleit or Knob Creek
Scotch: Famous Grouse
Gin: Hendricks
Tequilla: 1800 for me. The wife likes Lunazul blanco for margs.
Vodka: Tito's or Monopolowa.

I really don't understand super expensive vodka. Usually just don't go for anything in a plastic bottle. That being said, I did have Chopin once, and it was the only one that's ever made me consider buying "premium" vodka. It was in a different league compared to others i had tried.
mazag08
AG
I will not pay more than $20-$25 for vodka, and it better be damned smooth at that price range. But there are times where you can find one that truly ADDS to the cocktail.
beagle2009
AG
Whiskeys: TX for whiskey and Buffalo Trace or Knob Creek for bourbon
Gin: Hendricks, although we've been digging The Botanist lately
Tequila: Casamigos
Rum: Have not bought a bottle of rum in I don't know how long!
Vodka: Dripping Springs
RangerRick9211
AG
Scotch: Laphroaig QC.
Bourbon: Weller.
Rye: Rittenhouse.
Gin: Tanqueray.
Sweet Vermouth: Antica.
Dry Vermouth: Dolin
HTownAg98
Today's cocktail is a Blushing Betty, and it's a damn tasty one, if a bit sweet. Next time I'll cut back on the simple syrup.
1 oz fresh squeezed grapefruit juice
1.5 oz bourbon
0.5 oz simple syrup
Combine all ingredients in a shaker with ice, and shake it with reckless aggression for 20 seconds. Strain over an ice filled rocks glass. Garnish with a grapefruit wedge if so inclined.
Mister Cooper
AG
Trying to get some recipes for bulk cocktails for Memorial Day weekend. Want to stay away from the 'trash can punch' type recipes online and was seeing if any Ags had some classier recipes. Any types of liquor are ok, just trying to brainstorm some ideas

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.