Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

141,868 Views | 1129 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Flying Crowbar
aggielax48
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You might enjoy this similar cocktail, not sure if one is a ruff on the other.

Devil's Soul

45 ml Rye Whiskey
15 ml Mezcal
7.5 ml St Germain (Elderflower Liqueur)
15 ml Amaro Averna
7.5 ml Aperol

1. Combine all ingredients into your mixing glass
2. Stir for 30-45 seconds
3. Strain into a chilled cocktail glass
4. Flame an orange zest into the drink
5. Garnish with orange

https://shakeandstraincocktails.com/cocktailId/C7F6A658-64CB-0FB0-FF0E-D1DAF8F28700
aggielax48
AG
I enjoyed this one.

Five Keys

45 ml Bourbon Whiskey
7.5 ml Maraschino Liqueur
7.5 ml Cynar
22.5 ml Sweet Vermouth

1. Combine all the ingredients into your mixing glass
2. Stir with ice (30-45 seconds)
4. Garnish with a maraschino cherry

https://shakeandstraincocktails.com/cocktailId/74EF7EC1-0A06-FB09-FFEC-4DBE71551E00
SpiderDude
AG
I just made a smoked Old Fashioned. I won't list the ingredients cuz everyone has their own preference on an OF but this is how I smoke it... you'll need a torch and cedar plank (I buy the ones for smoking salmon at HEB):

1. Place dried herb (Rosemary recommended) on cedar plank.
2. Hit it with the torch until it is burning... you could use matches or lighter but torch is better.
3. Immediately cover with your (upside down) Old Fashioned glass (the glass you'll be serving your OF in). This will both extinguish the fire and smoke will accumulate on surface of the inside of glass).
4. Use a mixing glass to combine your preferred OF ingredients and stir over ice.
5. Once prepared you can flip your OF serving glass over...add a big block of ice and pour OF over the top. Add garnish of choice (I like flamed/expressed orange peel combined with luxardo cherry).
6. Enjoy.

https://instagr.am/p/B-2x9bDDEJZ
SpiderDude
AG
Will try both of those. I like your style.
mazag08
AG
That sounds awesome.

Probably helps that I'm obsessed with rosemary
SpiderDude
AG
https://instagr.am/p/B-8j9IYDyOJ
SpiderDude
AG
I went ahead and made my IG profile public so I can post pics of cocktails that I try.
SpiderDude
AG
aggielax48 said:

You might enjoy this similar cocktail, not sure if one is a ruff on the other.

Devil's Soul

45 ml Rye Whiskey
15 ml Mezcal
7.5 ml St Germain (Elderflower Liqueur)
15 ml Amaro Averna
7.5 ml Aperol

1. Combine all ingredients into your mixing glass
2. Stir for 30-45 seconds
4. Flame an orange zest into the drink
5. Garnish with orange

https://shakeandstraincocktails.com/cocktailId/C7F6A658-64CB-0FB0-FF0E-D1DAF8F28700

Thanks for posting...I dig it!

https://instagr.am/p/B_Blx8wDTjc

Edit: I'd be curious to try it again but subbing the Mezcal with Laphroaig.
62strat
AG
I love a great cocktail, but reading though the last page or two, I literally haven't seen the same ingredient twice outside of the main liquor (like bourbon) and bitters.

I've never even heard of most of all these other things. Do y'all stock all this? Seems like it takes a lot of space... and time to build a selection...
SpiderDude
AG
62strat said:

I love a great cocktail, but reading though the last page or two, I literally haven't seen the same ingredient twice outside of the main liquor (like bourbon) and bitters.

I've never even heard of most of all these other things. Do y'all stock all this? Seems like it takes a lot of space... and time to build a selection...

I do, yes. Totally worth it...

Edit: I've given this some thought to try to recommend where to start if you're looking to add a few of these to your bar. Obviously I would start with the basics outside of the base liquors (bourbon, rye, scotch, tequila, gin, vodka, rum). Basics, to me, would include sweet and dry vermouth, triple sec, brandy, simple syrup (you can make yourself 1:1 sugar and water). After that I'd start adding Amaros. I'd probably start with Campari, then Aperol... then others as you try recipes that strike your fancy.

Edit 2: Liqueurs get crazy... there are so many it's hard to know where to start. I love amaretto but honestly it doesn't make it into many of my cocktails... mainly my coffee lol. I use Elderflower Liqueur quite a bit in many drinks.
SpiderDude
AG
aggielax48 said:

I enjoyed this one.

Five Keys

45 ml Bourbon Whiskey
7.5 ml Maraschino Liqueur
7.5 ml Cynar
22.5 ml Sweet Vermouth

1. Combine all the ingredients into your mixing glass
2. Stir with ice (30-45 seconds)
4. Garnish with a maraschino cherry

https://shakeandstraincocktails.com/cocktailId/74EF7EC1-0A06-FB09-FFEC-4DBE71551E00

Another good one... thanks for recommending!

https://instagr.am/p/B_ETSNzj62W
aggielax48
AG
Tiki or tropical bourbon cocktail I made last night. Modified it a little bit, used 1 oz pinapple juice since I did not have chunks to muddle and no sparkling so I didn't add the float.

Ananda Spritz

INGREDIENTS
- 45ml Bourbon Whiskey (1.5 oz)
- 30ml Amaro Nonino (1 oz)
- 15ml Pineapple Juice (0.5 oz)
- 15ml Lemon Juice (0.5 oz)
- 15ml Palm Sugar Syrup (0.5 oz)
- 3 Dashes of Angostura bitters
- 5 Chunks Pineapple, to muddle
- 30ml Sparkling Wine, to float (1 oz)

METHOD
1. Muddle the pineapple in the base of your cocktail shaker
2. Add the remaining ingredients except the sparkling wine
3. Shake with ice
4. Double strain into a chilled coupe glass
5. Float the sparkling wine
6. Garnish with edible flowers (or a pineapple wedge)

Ananda Spritz - Steve the Bartender
SpiderDude
AG
Some really interesting cocktails in this article I'll be looking to try:

https://www.townandcountrymag.com/leisure/drinks/g3242/whiskey-cocktails/
aggielax48
AG
Think I'll try a Cameron's Kick tonight.
62strat
AG
SpiderDude said:

62strat said:

I do, yes. Totally worth it...

Edit: I've given this some thought to try to recommend where to start if you're looking to add a few of these to your bar. Obviously I would start with the basics outside of the base liquors (bourbon, rye, scotch, tequila, gin, vodka, rum). Basics, to me, would include sweet and dry vermouth, triple sec, brandy, simple syrup (you can make yourself 1:1 sugar and water). After that I'd start adding Amaros. I'd probably start with Campari, then Aperol... then others as you try recipes that strike your fancy.

Edit 2: Liqueurs get crazy... there are so many it's hard to know where to start. I love amaretto but honestly it doesn't make it into many of my cocktails... mainly my coffee lol. I use Elderflower Liqueur quite a bit in many drinks.
I have the basics covered. I have multiples of whiskey/bourbon/scotch, vodka and tequila, and a single rum and gin.
I have bitters, syrups, vermouth, triple sec, marnier.. I always have bottled sparkling water, club soda, pineapple, apple and orange juices, lime/lemon juice. Then a few liqueurs like baileys and kahlua.

It's all the other stuff that seems like you'd use once a year.

I just don't know if I'll ever want to add another 10-12 bottles of stuff just to make super specific drinks like some of the stuff here. It's just too much stuff.
62strat
AG
Any apps that can give a list of cocktails you can make based on inventory you tell it you have?
aggielax48
AG
If you have Android check my post on Pg 3.
62strat
AG
aggielax48 said:

I saw that but I'm iOS.
John Francis Donaghy
62strat said:

aggielax48 said:

I saw that but I'm iOS.

Then buy a bong, hippie.
HTownAg98
I've been making these all week, and they're quite good.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Is the liquid smoke a big difference maker here?
SpiderDude
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

It's an interesting ingredient to be sure! Alternatively you could use .5oz of a smokey mezcal and dial back the requila a tad.
SpiderDude
AG
I made it (subbing mezcal for the liquid smoke...thanks for posting!

https://instagr.am/p/B_dLE46DHY7
Laser Wolf
I've been hooked on rum old fashioneds lately.

2 oz gold rum (any good quality gold rum will work)
2 dashes angostura bitters
2 dashes orange bitters
1 tsp brown sugar syrup (2:1 ratio of brown sugar to water)

TRUMP 2020! KEEP AMERICA GREAT!
CNN is very fake news.
I Stand with Sul Ross.
#NotAnotherDime
BLM is a lie.
HTownAg98
SpiderDude said:

Chipotlemonger said:

It's an interesting ingredient to be sure! Alternatively you could use .5oz of a smokey mezcal and dial back the requila a tad.

I'm sure it's good, but just different. The liquid smoke gives you that smoke flavor without having to break out a smoking gun and a bell jar. If you've ever had a bourbon cocktail that was smoked, that's the flavor profile here.
aggielax48
AG
Enjoying a Paper Plane tonight, probably my favorite cocktail.
SpiderDude
AG
Laser Wolf said:

I've been hooked on rum old fashioneds lately.

2 oz gold rum (any good quality gold rum will work)
2 dashes angostura bitters
2 dashes orange bitters
1 tsp brown sugar syrup (2:1 ratio of brown sugar to water)

I make a homemade pineapple simple syrup that I use for "rum fashioneds". It's fairly easy... just takes a bit of time and effort. We eat a lot of pineapple at home... when I cut off the rind/skin there is always ample flesh that you essentially lose when you throw it out. Rather than tossing it in the trash bin I cut it into manageable pieces... place in sauce pan and cover with simple syrup. Let it simmer at least 30 minutes. Once done... let it cool a bit and then muddle under a heavy duty glass (pint glass works fine). Squeeze a much of the retained juice from the pineapple bits and then strain. You can simmer further if you want to thicken/reduce it more to taste. Once you're satisfied bottle and store chilled in fridge.
SpiderDude
AG
aggielax48 said:

Yes, it's very good. I also love a Stockyard Pony which is a close derivative: 2 parts bourbon, 1 part Aperol, 1 part lemon juice, 1 part simple. All parts delicious.
lazuras_dc
AG
aggielax48 said:

Just tried this for the first time today and enjoyed it very much.
HTownAg98
If you're not following David Wondrich @davidwondrich on Twitter, you should. He's been doing a new, if a bit esoteric cocktail every day.
Flying Crowbar
AG
I've tried Alton's smoky tequila sour with the tequila and liquid smoke, and by subbing out those ingredients for a mezcal. Both are good.
Flying Crowbar
AG
If you like smoked cocktails, consider this:

Smokey the Pear

2 oz. blended Texas whiskey
0.75 oz. Grand Marnier
1 oz. lemon juice
0.5 oz. rosemary simple syrup (1:1 ratio of sugar and water, with rosemary sprigs)
1/4 pear

- Add pear, lemon juice, and simple syrup to shaker tin.
- Muddle the pear and add the remaining ingredients.
- Shake and fine strain over a rosemary-smoked rocks glass over a large ice cube.
- Garnish with a fresh rosemary sprig.

I got that from the book "Texas Cocktails".
Flying Crowbar
AG
BTW, SpiderDude, I had not seen your method of smoking a glass before. I was just putting the rosemary sprig on a plate and setting it aflame. I will definitely try your technique!

Thanks for that tip.
SpiderDude
AG
Senor Cardgage said:

BTW, SpiderDude, I had not seen your method of smoking a glass before. I was just putting the rosemary sprig on a plate and setting it aflame. I will definitely try your technique!

Thanks for that tip.

You're welcome! I've tried smoking it with the serving glass right side up under a larger glass "bell" but have found that method to not get as much smoke flavor into the inside of the glass. Of course if you've invested in a smoke gun then that opens up even more options like infusing directly into the drink in a blender or sealed bottle/ shaker. I find my method to be the simplest... the only downside is it heats the glass a bit but the big block overcomes that and I serve mine pretty stout so a little extra dilution via melted ice didn't hurt.
lazuras_dc
AG
Had a Portland Calling tonight. Similar to paper plane

1oz lemon juice (hint of simple syrup)
1oz. Sherry
1 oz. aperol
1oz bourbon
Shaken over ice

Do you guys know anything about sherry? What kind to use ? Saw everything like dry, light, medium, creamy.
I ended up getting medium bc it was in the middle.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.