Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

141,938 Views | 1129 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Flying Crowbar
SpiderDude
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Dp
SpiderDude
AG
SpiderDude said:

Noticed Total Wine has Amaro Braulio and Amaro Nonino. Bouts to gets my Amaro on!!!

Bought. Time to expand the cocktail portfolio!
SpiderDude
AG
Alright. So I broke out the (Amaro) Braulio and Nonino this weekend. The Braulio punches you in the mouth, tells you to turn the other cheek and then swings at you again. The Nonino is a little more subtle but in a beautiful way. Honestly, the Nonino is the best Amaro I've ever had. I will be doing it straight quite often. I made The Paper Plane with the Nonino. It's equal parts bourbon, nonino, aperol and lemon. It's basically a more sophisticated Stockyard Pony.

Right now i'm sipping on a Braulio Sour:
1.5 oz Rye
.75 oz Braulio
.5 oz lemon
.5 oz simple
Egg white
1 dash angostura
Dry shake then shake over ice. Recommended garnish is Luxardo Cherry.
jh0400
AG
If you like Nonino you should try Rucolino if you can find it. I've only had it in restaurants, but it is delicious.
SpiderDude
AG
Will keep a look out... thanks! This just arrived in the mail today...

SpiderDude
AG
Just made this to add to my syrup inventory.
https://www.tastingtable.com/cook/recipes/Five-Spice-Honey-Syrup-Recipe-from-Las-Perlas
Quote:

1 tablespoon star anise

1 tablespoon fennel

1 tablespoon cardamom seeds

1 tablespoon cloves

1 cinnamon stick

2 cups honey

1/2 cup water

DIRECTIONS
Combine all the ingredients in a saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce to a simmer and cook until reduced to 2 cups, about 15 minutes.
dmart90
AG
Has this at Jack Allen's a couple of years back. Really good:

The Bonnabel
1 1/2 oz. Eagle Rare 10 year Bourbon
1/2 oz. Carpano Antica
1/4 oz. Luxardo Maraschino Liqueur
1/4 oz. yellow chartreuse
In a rocks glass, add all of the ingredients. Stir approximately ten times, reaching around the edge of the glass each time. Garnish with a speared maraschino cherry on top.

I think I'll go make one now!
“Ambition is when you expect yourself to close the gap between what you have and what you want.

Entitlement is when you expect others to close the gap between what you have and what you want.”— James Clear
SpiderDude
AG
Looks good. Don't have yellow chartreuse but green will have to do!
SpiderDude
AG
I tried this one last night. Not my favorite but not bad... in the Sazerac/Old Fashioned family I'd say:
Improved Whiskey Cocktail
2 oz Rye
1/4 oz Maraschino
1/4 oz Simple
1 barspoon Absinthe (or less)
2 dashes Peychaud's
2 dashes Angostura
Stir in mixing glass and garnish with lemon
SpiderDude
AG
I looked back through my posts and realized I never posted the recipe for my all-time favorite cocktail...The Satan's Circus! I was first introduced to this drink at The Whiskey House in San Diego. Easily the biggest selection of whiskey I've ever personally witnessed... check out it if you're ever out that way! Here's the recipe:
2 oz Rye
.75 oz Chili Infused Aperol (I just add. 75 oz Aperol but add chili pepper bitters I made)
.75 oz Cherry Heering
.75 oz Lemon juice
Shake over ice
Garnish with a small hot chili skewered on a long toothpick
RangerRick9211
AG
True Anomaly said:

The Manhattan, to me, is the perfect cocktail. Boozy, complex, wonderful. But an under appreciated part of it is the sweet vermouth. It's an afterthought when people choose what to put in the drink, but it really makes a world of difference when you use a good one.

Instead of using Martini and Rossi, which is just a **** vermouth that has a weird flavor, use Carpano Antica. It's the original sweet vermouth, and is worlds better than Martini and Rossi. I also like it much better than Dolin's as well. Although there's one from California called Vya which I think matches up pretty well

Just please...don't use Martini and Rossi

Next time you make a Manhattan, make one with both M&R and Carpano Antica. You will never go back

2 parts rye
1 part Carpano Antica
4-5 dashes Angostura bittters
Stir in ice, strain, serve with Luxardo maraschino

The perfect cocktail
CA is the jam against whiskey, i.e. Manhattan or Boulvardier. It crushes Negronis, though. Dolin of Cocchi when it needs to be more balanced.

Drink what you want, but at least store vermouth correctly. It oxidizes like wine. Keep it cold and put it on gas. Something like Private Preserve is $10 and will last you a year of boozing.
SpiderDude
AG
Considered starting a fresh thread for this post but it more or less belongs here even tho it has other culinary uses. I came up with this myself and pretty happy with the results. There are other recipes for pineapple syrup but I like mine cuz it makes use of the skin which normally goes to waste.

If you use a pineapple corer you can use the leftover skin with the 1/4" to 1/2" of flesh that you typically otherwise lose:

Take the outer sections of pineapple (skin and fleshy bits), cut into smaller pieces 1-2 inches square. Place in pot, add one cup water and 1 cup sugar (white or unrefined). Bring to boil, cover and simmer at least 10 minutes...20 is probably better. Allow to cool a bit after removing from heat. Muddle soft skin with the bottom of a heavy tall glass. This will squeeze retained juices into the syrup. Drain off remaining muddled skin and return to pot. Boil and simmer until it's reached desired thickness... about 10 minutes or more. Fine stain to remove any remaining bits in the syrup. Bottle and keep refrigerated until ready to use.
SpiderDude
AG
JUNGLE BIRD COCKTAIL
1 1/2 oz Dark rum
3/4 oz Campari
1/2 oz Simple syrup
1 1/2 oz Fresh pineapple juice
1/2 oz Fresh lime juice
Garnish with pineapple wedge

SpiderDude
AG
Time to bump this bad boy...

Yesterday, Today and Amaro:

2 oz rye
0.5 oz cynar
0.25 oz amaro averna
0.25 oz benedictine
Garnish with a lemon zest (peel)
I also added my homemade lemon bitters

Stir with ice until chilled, serve in coupe or martini glass.
SpiderDude
AG
PAPER PLANE
Equal parts (.75 oz each) Amaro Nonino, Aperol, Bourbon, and Lemon Juice.

Great summertime cocktail that includes bourbon.
SpiderDude
AG
Sorry...I can't get enough of bourbon cocktails... here's another:

BOURBON RENEWAL
2 oz bourbon
1 oz fresh lemon juice
.5 oz creme de cassis
.5 oz simple syrup
1 dash Angostura bitters
Shake ingredients with ice until cold.
Strain over fresh ice into an old-fashioned glass.
Garnish with a lemon wedge, or if in season, fresh currants.
SpiderDude
AG
SpiderDude said:

PAPER PLANE
Equal parts (.75 oz each) Amaro Nonino, Aperol, Bourbon, and Lemon Juice.

Great summertime cocktail that includes bourbon.

LAST FLIGHT
A riff on the above and The Last Word:
Equal parts Green Chartreuse, Aperol, Bourbon and Lemon Juice.
texas.aggie.2010
Anyone ever had a cocktail made with domaine de rancy, rivesaltes ambre, vin roux naturel 2001? Any substitute for this bottle? Any cocktails with rivesaltes ambre vin doux naturel?

I had a cocktail with 2 parts rye whiskey to 1 part of the above and it was great! I want to retry this
SpiderDude
AG
texas.aggie.2010 said:

Anyone ever had a cocktail made with domaine de rancy, rivesaltes ambre, vin roux naturel 2001? Any substitute for this bottle? Any cocktails with rivesaltes ambre vin doux naturel?

I had a cocktail with 2 parts rye whiskey to 1 part of the above and it was great! I want to retry this

What you're describing is essentially a fancy Manhattan where the domaine de rancy, rivesaltes ambre has replaced the sweet vermouth. I've never tried domaine de rancy, rivesaltes ambre but it sounds amazing!
texas.aggie.2010
Yep, it was very good. Normally I'm indifferent to manhattans. I generally prefer my rye and bourbon on the rocks or near but thought this worth repeating. Looks like I'll try some of the carpo antica stuff to replace the rivesaltes since it seems hard to find
SpiderDude
AG
https://www.bonappetit.com/drinks/non-alcoholic/article/butterfly-pea-flower-color-changing-tea?

Anybody ever played with this? It does a great job of turning cocktails a pretty purple color without artificial food coloring.
SpiderDude
AG
Just in time for tailgate season... here's a unique Tiki style drink to get you fired up for football season:

SHIPS IN THE NIGHT
1 part rum
1 part cognac
1 part gin
1 part orgeat
1 part velvet falernum
2 parts citrus mix (I use equal parts lemon, lime, orange and grapefruit) of choice.

HAPPY TAILGATING!!!
SpiderDude
AG
Need some good cold weather cocktails folks. This one is courtesy of trouble on the bourbon thread.

https://breadboozebacon.com/bourbon-milk-punch/

I approve of this cocktail. It'll be a regular winter sipper for me. The only thing I changed was using simple syrup instead of powdered sugar.

Edit: It's essentially an egg nog minus the egg yolk (replacing it with cream).
schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

It'll be a regular winter sipper for me.

Agree.
Vade281
AG
Made two batches last night and it was downed so fast.

https://www.nola.com/entertainment_life/eat-drink/article_a50d962c-9ee0-5293-82fc-7c88426f32be.html

The frozen version of the bourbon milk punch.

Bourbon House's Frozen Milk Punch

Makes 1-1/2 quarts
4 cups vanilla ice cream
1 cup bourbon
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon simple syrup
Freshly grated nutmeg

Combine all ingredients except nutmeg in a blender and blend 8 seconds, until slushy. Garnish with nutmeg and serve.
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
SpiderDude
AG
Haven't posted on this thread in a while... figured I'd bump it with a good one for this time of year!

https://imbibemagazine.com/lions-tail-remix-all-spice-and-everything-nice

All Spice and Everything Nice:

This twist on the classic Lion's Tail connects the toasty flavors of allspice and whiskey with lemon juice and orange bitters.

2 oz. bourbon
3/4 oz. fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz. honey syrup
1/4 oz. St. Elizabeth's Allspice Dram
2 dashes orange bitters
Tools: shaker, strainer
Glass: cinnamon stick
Garnish: cinnamon stick and a few whole cloves

Combine all ingredients into a shaker and shake for at least 15 seconds. Strain over fresh ice in a rocks glass. Garnish.

SpiderDude
AG
TTT... looking for new cocktail ideas. Just made one of my all time favorites... a Smashed Irishman (I believe I posted previously). Looking for new whiskey cocktail ideas or riffs on classics. Post em if you got em!
SpiderDude
AG
Here it is...
SpiderDude said:

Sippin' on a Smashed Irishman:
2 oz Irish whiskey
.5 oz Guinness reduction (https://www.therecipewench.com/guinness-reduction/)
.5 oz Honey Syrup
1 oz Lemon Juice
Mint garnish
tarrantcountyag
AG
Did the clear ice process a few months ago. Worked like a charm
SpiderDude
AG
tarrantcountyag said:

Did the clear ice process a few months ago. Worked like a charm

SpiderDude
AG
Sipping on dis shiz tonight. Complex, smoky, bitter goodness.

Devil's Backbone
1 oz. rye whiskey
1/2 oz. smoky single malt Scotch (I used Laphroaig)
3/4 oz. Averna
1/2 oz. Gran Classico (or sub Campari)
1 dash Angostura bitters
1 dash orange bitters

Combine all ingredients in a mixing glass with ice and stir until chilled. Strain into a coupe and garnish with an orange twist.
Muy
AG
This is a great thread!

If you care to make your own simple syrup for your Old Fashions, try using Brown Sugar instead of regular white sugar. Also, a brown agave sweetener is a nice mix as well.
aggielax48
AG
I've been liking Steve the Bartender's new app. It has a feature where you enter your own bar ingredients and it sorts the recipes according to what you can make.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.shakeandstraincocktails

May be captain obvious but don't discount the recipes you're missing one or two ingredients. Look for substitutions.
DonaldFDraper
AG
Sounds like a great app. No iOS app yet. Any suggestions On a similar app?
DonaldFDraper
AG
That has pretty much all of my favorite ingredients... How much Devil's Backbone?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.