Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

***************COCKTAILS****************

141,870 Views | 1129 Replies | Last: 10 days ago by Flying Crowbar
FlyFish95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Had a drink last night at a friends house that had some combination of cucumber vodka, lemonade, and triple sec and maybe something else...it was damn good
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
Love this getting traction, their are a few versions of this thread out there, but the is the simplest!
SpiderDude
AG
Anybody have any good Cynar recipes? It's an amaro with artichoke among other herbs and roots. Pronounced "chee-nar" it's a bitter digestif. I bought a bottle yesterday on a whim. Trying to determine what can be done with it.
DVC2010
AG
Quote:

Several Italian amaros rely on artichoke and cardoon. The aptly named Cynar is the best example; it's wonderful on its own or in soda, and works very well as a Campari substitute in a Negroni.

From The Drunken Botanist by Amy Stewart, which is the book that got me into cocktails. I recommend it to any of you who are interested in what's behind the bottles you enjoy.
SpiderDude
AG
Thanks for the recommendation! Yes, I've seen some recipes where you substitute Cynar for Campari. After trying it I think Cynar could actually replace sweet vermouth in many cocktails.
SpiderDude
AG
Sippin' on a Smashed Irishman:
2 oz Irish whiskey
.5 oz Guinness reduction (https://www.therecipewench.com/guinness-reduction/)
.5 oz Honey Syrup
1 oz Lemon Juice
Mint garnish
07ag
AG
sazerac,, or a 3/2/1 mezcal margarita
SpiderDude
AG
I'm really digging Aperol lately! Got this one from https://stevethebartender.com.au

Aperol Gin Sour:
45mL Aperol
45mL London Dry Gin
25mL Lemon Juice
1 Egg White
1 tsp Agave Syrup

Dry shake then add ice and shake again... strain into coupe glass. I also added a few dashes of orange bitters to up the ante. Oh and I did sub ~1 oz aquafaba for the egg white. Came out just fine that way.
True Anomaly
AG
The Manhattan, to me, is the perfect cocktail. Boozy, complex, wonderful. But an under appreciated part of it is the sweet vermouth. It's an afterthought when people choose what to put in the drink, but it really makes a world of difference when you use a good one.

Instead of using Martini and Rossi, which is just a **** vermouth that has a weird flavor, use Carpano Antica. It's the original sweet vermouth, and is worlds better than Martini and Rossi. I also like it much better than Dolin's as well. Although there's one from California called Vya which I think matches up pretty well

Just please...don't use Martini and Rossi

Next time you make a Manhattan, make one with both M&R and Carpano Antica. You will never go back

2 parts rye
1 part Carpano Antica
4-5 dashes Angostura bittters
Stir in ice, strain, serve with Luxardo maraschino

The perfect cocktail
tmas
AG
Anyone got a good Sazerac recipe?
SpiderDude
AG
tmas said:

Anyone got a good Sazerac recipe?

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2012/01/duck-fat-sazerac-rye-cocktail-from-haddingtons-austin-texas-fat-washing.html

Quack, quack!!!
MikesFamousJava
AG
I'm looking forward to trying many of these out, and don't have any recipes to contribute. That said, when I want something a little sweeter than straight Scotch or Bourbon, but I'm in a whiskey mood...but am too lazy to play bartender...I enjoy a glass of Hochstadter's Slow and Low (rock and rye) over a couple of ice cubes with a dash or two of Angostura bitters. It's like a cocktail in a bottle, and is inexpensive to boot. It's great to take on trips...only one bottle necessary, and no bar tools required.
SpiderDude
AG
Yes, it's not half bad for a premade Old Fashioned. It comes in cans too for a more camping/travel friendly option.
SpiderDude
AG
One of my simple pleasures cocktails is literally just bourbon and coke (or Dr Pepper) with the addition of muddled fresh basil. I usually have basil growing in my herb garden. I muddle a leaf or two of the basil directly in the bourbon, strain off the leafy bits over ice and add the cola. You can add Angostura if preferred. The basil just really compliments the bourbon and cola flavors. Truly refreshing at the end of the day.
bushytailed
AG
SpiderDude said:

I'm lazy when it comes to Rita's. I typically opt to use Simply Limeade because I get equal to better results than homemade so the extra efforts not really worth it.
I too embrace the lazy. I like Simply Limeade for rocks margaritas, but use a can of frozen limeade for frozen margaritas.
SpiderDude
AG
Agreed. I definitely go with the can for my frozen batches! If you don't have a gluten sensitive crowd you can add 6-12 oz of Mexican beer to froth it up and make it go further.
zephyrtexan
AG
Actually, Corona Light is low enough in gluten content that people who are only sensitive to gluten (not celiac) can consume it with comfort. Allegedly, each bottle contains less than 20 ppm of gluten.
jeffdjohnson
Not a lot of love for mint so far. I use some mint simple syrup and make a *******ized version of an old fashion. Bourbon. Mint simple syrup. Orange bitters. Angostura bitters. Orange peel and mint leaves if you are feeling classy.
HTownAg98
I love mint. It's been too damn cold to get any growing to use in cocktails. Hopefully it will warm up some and I'll have mint by the time the Derby rolls around.
SpiderDude
AG
I buy my herbs from HEB already grown in plastic pots. $4 each. The mint I bought a few weeks ago seems to be going strong! I've already clipped it a few times. Still thriving.
SpiderDude
AG
Made this one last night...pretty complex tastewise. It's from Employees Only in NYC.

Billionaire Cocktail:
2 oz. high-proof bourbon, such as Baker's
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
1/2 oz. simple syrup
1/4 oz. absinthe bitters or absinthe
1/2 oz. grenadine syrup made from pomegranate (I used homemade)

The anise isn't overpowering but it's there.
ATM9000
AG
SpiderDude said:

Made this one last night...pretty complex tastewise. It's from Employees Only in NYC.

Billionaire Cocktail:
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
12 oz. simple syrup
14 oz. absinthe bitters or absinthe
12 oz. grenadine syrup made from pomegranate (I used homemade)

Those measurements seem off.
SpiderDude
AG
ATM9000 said:

SpiderDude said:

Billionaire Cocktail:
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
12 oz. simple syrup

Omg... yeah definitely don't use those...good luck gulping down 14 oz. Of absinthe! I cut and paste and the division (/) sign didn't carry over for some weird reason! I fixed it.
ATM9000
AG
SpiderDude said:

ATM9000 said:

SpiderDude said:

Billionaire Cocktail:
1 oz. fresh lemon juice
12 oz. simple syrup

Omg... yeah definitely don't use those...good luck gulping down 14 oz. Of absinthe! I cut and paste and the division (/) sign didn't carry over for some weird reason! I fixed it.

Lol I figured. That followed by the part about it not being overpowering gave me a chuckle
SpiderDude
AG
Developed a head cold i'm trying to fend off. Enter The Penicillin:

2 oz Blended scotch
.75 oz Fresh lemon juice
.75 oz Honey-ginger syrup
.25 oz Islay single-malt scotch

Honey ginger syrup is equal parts honey and water with ginger boiled on simmer for 5 minutes (I used 1/2 cup each with ~3" piece of ginger peeled and thinly sliced). Recipe I read calls for allowing that to further steep overnight but I don't want to wait so i'm just letting it cool on the stove top before I strain out the ginger.

Needed a syrup bottle for the syrup but didn't have any available... noticed my homemade grenadine only had a half oz or so...so I made a tequila sunrise:

2 oz tequila
4 oz orange juice
.5 oz grenadine
I just poured them together and stirred tho it calls for shaking OJ & tequila and pouring in the grenadine.
SpiderDude
AG
The French Blonde...one of my top 5 and currently in my hand. My version reverses the the gin:vermouth ratio as I prefer more gin.
-1.5 oz gin
-.5 oz dry vermouth
-.5 oz St. Germaine (or other elderflower liqueur)
-.5 oz simple syrup
-2 oz grapefruit juice

Optional:
Sprig of rosemary in the shaker...just be sure to double strain or you'll end up with it in your glass. Also optional would be egg white for a foam top.
SpiderDude
AG
Nice bedtime sipper...

Cold Brewed Boulvardier:

Mix together 1 oz. Campari, 1 oz. Braulio Amaro, 1 oz. Russell's Reserve 10-Year-Old Bourbon, and 1/4 oz. coffee liqueur. Pour into a rocks glass filled with ice, and serve with an orange twist.

I don't have Braulio Amaro so I subbed Averna. I also added coffee pecan bitters to accent the coffee notes. Time for bed now...
SpiderDude
AG
https://highballdrinkcards.tumblr.com/image/170279305368

I subbed Tajin for the cayenne and salt.
DVC2010
AG
How do you think that would work with tequila instead of mezcal? Because if I buy a bottle of mezcal, it won't be empty until my kids are old enough to steal it. And I don't have any kids.
SpiderDude
AG
Why don't you make one and tell us about it?! I'm sure it would taste great. The honey syrup pairs well with the agave spirit. Other than that it's basically a Tommy's Rita.
SpiderDude
AG
This once looks intriguing...

http://imbibemagazine.com/rose-gold-gin-cocktail/

Edit: Made this tonight. Not too shabby!
SpiderDude
AG
5th and Adams
1 oz. mezcal
1 oz. pineapple juice
oz. ginger syrup
oz. fresh lemon juice
2 dashes Peychaud's bitters
Tools: shaker, strainer
Glass: coupe
Garnish: pineapple spear

Note: I added a frozen ice cube of papaya puree...yum.

SpiderDude
AG
While we're on Mezcal...

Spicy Dead Lady
oz. mezcal
oz. Aperol
oz. falernum
oz. fresh lime juice
1 dash of Scrappy's Hellfire Bitters*
Tools: shaker, strainer
Glass: coupe
Garnish: lime wheel

schwack schwack
AG
Quote:

Anybody have any good Cynar recipes?

We've been messing around with it since we had a great take on an Old Fashioned in Dallas. We haven't mastered that yet, but these are pretty good

Bensonhurst
2 oz rye whiskey
1 oz dry vermouth
2 tsp Luxardo
1 tsp Cynar

Stir w/ice, strain into a coupe.

Cynar Toronto x 2
4 oz rye whiskey
1.5 oz Cynar
2 tsp simple syrup
4 dashes Angostura

Shaker w/ice, strain into 2 coupe glasses
SpiderDude
AG
Noticed Total Wine has Amaro Braulio and Amaro Nonino. Bouts to gets my Amaro on!!!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.