Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Natural gas grill recommendations

5,510 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 3 yr ago by agcrock2005
90 bull
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
New home has a natural gas line for a grill, so liking for any suggestions for a grill. Looking online, looks like a lot of the options are Weber. Anything else?
GarlandAg2012
AG
Don't know anyone who has been disappointed in their Weber. They aren't the cheapest but they're generally regarded as high quality.
FIDO*98*
AG
I'd get propane or better yet a Grill Dome or BGE. Food cooked on Natural Gas tastes like Natural Gas. Better to deal with the inconvenience of tanks or charcoal. Use the Natural gas line to fire a Blackstone or other flat top Griddle
txaggie79
AG
Weber makes good stuff, and their regular gas grills are hard to beat. With that said, I bought a Blackstone flattop last year...probably the best 200 or so bucks I have ever spent. We use it constantly. Mine is propane, but surely there would be a way to connect NG. Or another brand of flattop. Bottom line, if you have never used an outdoor flat top, give it a try. They are VERY versitile.
Vernada
AG
Weber
cecil77
AG
FIDO*98* said:

I'd get propane or better yet a Grill Dome or BGE. Food cooked on Natural Gas tastes like Natural Gas. Better to deal with the inconvenience of tanks or charcoal. Use the Natural gas line to fire a Blackstone or other flat top Griddle

I've no opinion on this, and had never really thought about the mercaptan in NG being evident in the grilled/smoked food.

Googling NG vs propane, none of the several sites I looked at mention it as an issue, though.
RK
AG
None of those sites possess staff with a palate as sophisticated as Fido, though.
dummble
AG
I have an NG weber spirit. The previous model design is on clearance all over the place. I got mine about a year ago when the new design came out.

I do not have any off flavors from the NG and the weber is amazing. the thing that I love is how even it is front to back side to side. Even though the grill is smaller than my previous one, I can use the entire surface to cook. The always on, never need to replace a tank NG is a big plus.

Buy with confidence
akaggie05
AG
Propane smells like ass too...
90 bull
AG
Tell me more about the flat top please. What all do you cook with it? It is an "in addition to" or replacement situation compared to a normal grill?
fta09
AG
I have a NG Weber and love it. No weird taste at all.
FIDO*98*
AG
90 bull said:

Tell me more about the flat top please. What all do you cook with it? It is an "in addition to" or replacement situation compared to a normal grill?

Basically everything that can be grilled can be done on the flat top with the exception of smoked/bbq meats. In addition, you can cook tons of breakfast foods, hibachi, smash burgers, etc. My flat top took over most of my gas grill duties, half of the BGE, and a third of my inside range. I don't even use my gas grill anymore really.

If you want to keep costs down, get a Blackstone and a WSM. If money isn't an issue, Blackstone plus a Kamado
FIDO*98*
AG
Rather than try and debate the NG flavor, I'll offer this suggestion. Go eat a Burger King burger. If you think it tastes like gas, don't get a NG grill. If you think it tastes fine, you won't notice it on your grill.

It's kind of like people with inside dogs. They never think their house smells like dog. Just because you may be used to the smell doesn't mean it's not there
RK
AG
What if I eat it and it tasted like ass?
FIDO*98*
AG
RK said:

Of course it's gonna taste like ass. It's BK. Can you pick up the gas too?
txaggie79
AG
Like Fido98 says, just about anything except "real BBQ" items. I guess you would say it is an "addition to" item, but honestly I use it a LOT more than I do my wood smoker or gas grill. It may be just me, but I don't like cooking directly over gas. With the flattop, you don't have to worry about flare-ups or food falling through the grate. (Or hydrocarbon fumes in your food.)

Breakfast...pancakes, eggs, sausage, etc...is a big plus. We cook breakfast often, especially Sunday mornings. Grilled fish of all sorts is great, as is shrimp. We have also done "adult" grilled cheese sandwiches, quesadillas, lots of grilled veggies. List night I did a big batch of fried cabbage and onion with apple, and it turned out great...if you like cabbage. :-) Of course, hamburgers are good. And, believe it or not, steaks turn out great!

The Blackstone is popular, I think due to it's price. I got mine online from Bed Bath and Beyond with a 20% off coupon and free shipping...something just over 200 bucks. There are higher end flattops out there if you are looking to outfit a nice outdoor kitchen. I've seen online where people take the legs off the Blackstone and mount it permanently, look pretty nice.

I tried putting a rack of ribs on it once, as an experiment. Yes, they cooked, but they turned out tough a leather! :-)
Joe Exotic
AG
I love my gridddle. Most used appliance in my outdoor kitchen. Doing Japanese tonight.
slappy
AG
RK said:

Then definitely don't order a salad.
BWnDallas
AG
I am no pro, but I have an NG Broil King Signet, but when I replaced the grate i bought a grillgrate.com grate. The grillgrate product is great, really improved my grilling. You can flip it over and is as a flat top.
labman
Something I haven't seen mentioned is the difference in heat between NG and propane. Propane gets much hotter. Probably twice as hot. better for searing steaks, cooking pizzas, etc. I've had both. I now have the big Weber Summit with 6 burners, a searing station, wood box, rotisserie and side burner. I've had it 11 years and it is still working perfectly.
Joe Exotic
AG
My understanding is that NG and LP use different regulators to account for pressure/heat difference.
cecil77
AG
Yeah.

Methane burns at 1950 F in air.

Propane burns at 2800 F in air.

Hard to imagine that difference impacts cooking very much...
RK
AG
Everyone knows you can't get a good sear under 2,450.
TxAg20
AG
I have a natural gas fired Weber Summit 670 built into my outdoor kitchen. I've probably used it 200 times and I'm happy with it. I can't taste the natural gas, but I do agree meat cooked over smoke, whether it be wood or charcoal, tastes better. For convenience, nothing beats the gas grill.
Sorrell Booke
I have a NG grill by Blaze Grills. I like it a lot. I even got the pizza stone attachment and enjoy cooking pizzas on it. You can check it out on BBQGuys.com

I also have a Blackstone flat top that I like a lot. Breakfast items, hibachi, burgers, I even cooked fajitas on them this past weekend.

I also have a Trager and a traditional smoker (cheap one from Academy).

What I am saying is, variety is the spice of life. Why limit yourself to just one? I get bored cooking stuff the same way every time, no matter how good it is.

Bunk Moreland
Weber Genesis II. Do it and don't turn back.
TP Ag '87
AG
Had mine for >10 years now. No regrets.
AggieSam02
AG
Sorry just saw this. At a minimum go with a built in grill on a cart that can be removed if you decide to build in later. That way you get something higher quality that you don't have to redo later. We offer quite a few models that can do this.
Cassius
Bunk Moreland said:

Weber Genesis II. Do it and don't turn back.

Ditto.
The Silverback
AG
Recently bought the Hestan 36" and should have it installed next week. Cant wait to use it, supposedly the infrared burner gets in excess of 900 degrees.
AggieSam02
AG
Shouldn't be any problem to get north of 900 on an infrared, regardless of brand. Heck my Firemagic gets over 900 with traditional cast stainless burners.

Hestan makes a beautiful grill. Hope you got maroon!!!!
FrankyMc
Weber. Without any excuses. I'd recommend to you this model
agcrock2005
AG
Depends on how much you want to spend. I have this Bull with rotisserie which is expensive but there are MUCH more expensive ones out there.

Bull Brahma 38"

EDIT: Just noticed this thread is almost 2 years old. Lol
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.