Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Jambalaya

5,861 Views | 26 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by texagpilot
Jock 07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have a good Jambalaya recipe? I'm typically lazy and just buy the box stuff and add the meat.
BoomGoesThe
I just made Jambalaya on Sunday, and it was great.

Ingredients:

1 1/2 pounds chicken tenders
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
3 or 4 kiolbassa sausages (cut into 1/4" slices)
1 large white onion diced
1 green bell pepper diced
1 cup chopped celery
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1/2 teaspoon ground (cayenne) red pepper
2 cups chicken broth
1 cup sliced green onions
2 cups uncooked long grain white rice
1 can (14.5 oz) diced tomatoes, mexican style (I got it from HEB)

Cut chicken tenders into 1" or so cubes. Season with salt and black pepper. Heat oil in a large saucepan or dutch oven (I used a 10" saute pan) over high heat until hot. Add chicken, stirring until cooked (don't brown it, or it may get too dry). Add sausage; cook for 2 to 3 minutes. Remove chicken and sausage from sauce pan and set aside.

Add chopped onions, bell pepper, celery and garlic to the same pan. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until crisp tender. Stir in rice, red pepper, chicken broth, green onion (or just garnish with it while serving) and diced tomatoes (entire can, including liquid); and then add back the chicken and sausage. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until rice is cooked.

Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I got sausage first so I have grease for the chicken. Also the scraping the brown bit off the pan and into the mix is essential
BarryProfit
Google one of John Folse's recipes.
beagle2009
AG
Emeril's Cajun jambalaya is my go-to:

https://www.emerils.com/121423/cajun-jambalaya
Burn-It
AG
Sauteed some chopped red & green pepper w/coarsely chopped onion & chopped garlic. Set aside & throw in some andouille & cut chicken tenders, cook thoroughly. Add the veggies & Zatarins Jambalaya ingredient, boil, then simmer covered for 30 minutes.

AKA 13-0
FIDO*98*
AG
Cook the rice separately in a rich chicken broth. Cook veggies, meats, etc. and fold into the rice.
Cowboy Curtis
AG
But the whole point of jambalaya is not doing what you suggest.
DTP02
AG
I have the absolute best jambalaya recipe in the world IMO and everyone else who's ever had it, but it's all on paper and I am not up to transcribing it all here, so I'll summarize the high points.

Chop all your veggies pretty fine so you don't have to take as long to sweat them: lots garlic, onions, celery, green pepper, parsley, green onions, and loosely mix in a giant bowl. Heat big heavy bottomed pot with enough oil to cover bottom, and when it's hot grab a few handfuls of veggies and throw em in the pot and begin stirring constantly. Periodically add another big handful of veggies and throw in. Add a pinch of herbs de Provence when you add the veggies. If it starts to stick or get a little dry, drizzle a little of the white wine you're drinking in there.

An option which I like is to add some coarsely chopped mushrooms during the sweating process. Not really traditional, but I really like it as do most who've tried it.

Continue to add, stir, and sweat until all the veggies have been added and sweated.

Create a hole at the bottom of your pot by pushing the veggies to the perimeter and add some chaurice w/out skins(essentially Cajun chorizo, I use chorizo if I can't find it) into bottom of pot and let render (this is if you want to do it all in one pot, I have also rendered the chaurice in a separate pan and added to pot) and mix in w the veggies which will give them a nice reddish hue and great flavor.

Chop and add some andouille to the pot. About half the time I will add some peeled/deveined shrimp at the end of the cooking, just before folding in the rice I've cooked in a separate pot. Serve w whatever white wine you've been drinking and a crusty French bread, plus your favorite hot sauce.

I usually make enough to feed 18-20. It's one of my favorite meals but the chopping of all those veggies is a PITA. Also, sweating all those veggies is hard work on the arms so I always recruit some help from my guests. It makes it fun, that and a little zydeco in the background.
Tailgate88
AG
1) Pull out smart phone, activate camera function
2) Snap picture of recipe
3) Post here
4) Profit!

(Seriously, it would be swell if you'd type it out, or do the above....sounds delish.)
I do a simple version based on a John besh recipe:

- Pork fat + Trinity
- Pork (he does a mix of breakfast sausage, andouille and leftover pork shoulder. I used whatever I can get my hands on)
- long grain rice. Fold it in the mixture and cook on high heat for a few minutes so it will toast
- chicken stock and diced tomatoes (turn heat down, cover and let simmer for 20 minutes stirring a few times)
Does anyone start with a roux before making jambalaya? I personally don't (and haven't even tried) but Paul prudhomme amongst some others do it
e cartman
AG
A. No Tomatoes. That's Creole Jambalya and it's crap
B. There's not a roux, EVER, in Jambalya. Roux is a thickener. If you've made this dish where it requires a thickener then you didn't make Jambalya

The best Jambalya in the state is done in Amite, Gonzales, and Denham Springs area. Follow this and you can't go wrong:

https://www.gumbopages.com/food/jambalaya-gautreau.html
e cartman said:

B. There's not a roux, EVER, in Jambalya. Roux is a thickener. If you've made this dish where it requires a thickener then you didn't make Jambalya

The best Jambalya in the state is done in Amite, Gonzales, and Denham Springs area. Follow this and you can't go wrong:

there is a roux in Paul prudhommes jambalya so there's that.
BMX Bandit
Donald Link's recipe

you are welcome
e cartman
AG
4133 said:

e cartman said:

there is a roux in Paul prudhommes jambalya so there's that.

Great chef. Not Jambalya.
FIDO*98*
AG
Jambalaya doesn't have a standard definition like Texas Chili.

Creole Jambalaya is good at times. Particularly with a ham and sausage Jambalaya

Roux is a seasoning every bit as much as a thickening agent. If it wasn't, Gumbo could be made with cornstarch.

If you wanna act like FIDO, at least get your **** right
For the record, it would take quite a bit of convincing for me to make a roux for jambalaya. I just asked if anyone had done it around here after watching a video of Paul Prudhomme starting with a roux to make it.

As for tomatoes, you're going to see if more often from chefs that grew up in New Orleans or outside of Louisiana and less often with people that grew up in Southwest Louisiana / Acadiana. There isn't a right / wrong. Just two cooking styles once very distinct however most often now mixed by chefs.
I love Links gumbo recipes.

His jambalaya recipe you posted looks like a ton of work for... jambalaya. That won't stop me from trying it soon!
This one looks really nice.

I learned to layer the vegetables in gumbo from a Texags thread / recipe and have since been obsessed with cooking the trinity in 2,3,4 different vintages.
e cartman
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Jambalaya doesn't have a standard definition like Texas Chili.

Creole Jambalaya is good at times. Particularly with a ham and sausage Jambalaya

Roux is a seasoning every bit as much as a thickening agent. If it wasn't, Gumbo could be made with cornstarch.

If you wanna act like FIDO, at least get your **** right

Fair point on the flavor enhancement provided by roux. Maybe a better (less FIDO) way of saying it is that it's completely unnecessary in this dish and is a lot of work for no reason.

FIDO*98*
AG
Good point. I would never actually make a roux for Jambalaya, but, more often than not I have some roux in the freezer and will add a couple of tablespoons to my Jambalaya to give it some depth.
62strat
AG
One pot style. Just follow a recipe, and do Sausage first for grease. Doing this in the kitchen is not reccomended

e cartman
AG
Only thing missing is a beer!
62strat
AG
Oh there was a ~150qt chest full of them just out of the picture
BusterAg
AG
Yeah, I like to use the water from the veggies to help flavor the rice, so I cook them and sausage with the rice, and the add the chicken last. Using the water sweat from the veggies adds just a hint of sweetness to the rice that makes a huge difference.
In the end the Party would announce that two and two made five, and you would have to believe it. It was inevitable that they should make that claim sooner or later: the logic of their position demanded it. Not merely the validity of experience, but the very existence of external reality, was tacitly denied by their philosophy. The heresy of heresies was common sense -George Orwell, 1984, Part 1, Chapter 7
CajunAggie
AG
I like all jambalaya but my specialty is shrimp jambalaya.

Onions
Bell pepper
Tomato sauce
Rice
Shrimp
Garlic salt
Cajun seasoning

Simple, but delicious.
texagpilot
AG
This is the one ive been using for years, from heart of cajun jambalaya country.

https://www.tigerdroppings.com/rant/food-and-drink/jambalaya---gonzales-style-with-pics/18517983/t
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.