Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Gluten Free Entrees

1,860 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by jwoodmd
agcrock2005
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1 year old son just diagnosed with Celiac and we have to do the gluten free thing. Any great recipes you'd like to share? Or places to go to find them? Thanks.
SpiderDude
AG
Anything paleo is gluten free. Get to know almond flour. It'll be your friend. I use Bob's Red Mill Gluten Free 1 to 1 Baking Flour as well. Coats for frying similar to flour and makes decent cookies. Tons of recipes on pinterest.
Tanya 93
Gluten free Mama on Facebook

I have found many things there.

You can email me at tanyainmizzou@mail.com for questions if you have them.

We have been doing this since he was 4 and he is now 10.

My biggest suggestion is try to avoid finding store bought substitutes for generic foods. Just make new ones. He is so young he will never remember them.

I do a lot of dessert baking, so if you want ideas for cakes and coolies, I have plenty of suggestions.

Please learn that in the allergy world, nuts will be your friend. Others will think that makes you evil.

And one big suggestion, if something says it has natural flavoring, skip it until you can get confirmation from the company it is gluten free
Ag_07
AG
Wife was diagnosed with Celiac 10-12 years ago and it's now WAY easier to shop and eat GF compared to those days. Here's a few pointers

• Biggest thing is to just cook fresh. Fresh meat and steamed or sauted veggies is really the easiest thing. Most recipes you can simply substitute gluten items for GF items.
  • One thing to watch out for is store bought marinades and sauces. Most are OK but don't just assume if you're going that route. We use a lot of the Lawry's 30 minute marinade and some of those are off limits.
  • Soy sauce is also something to watch out for that can find its way into things you don't realize.
  • GF pastas are pretty readily available at HEB. We do GF lasagna quite often. We always try and go with the Schar brand.
  • Same goes for GF bread, hamburger buns, and hot dog buns. HEB has a decent selection. Try a few until you find one you like. My wife thinks the Genius brand at HEB is the best.
  • For a 1 year I highly recommend the Betty Crocker GF pancake mix. Can hardly tell they're GF and now the only pancake mix we keep. Our 2 year old loves them on the weekends.

Some of our favorite entrees are enchiladas, shrimp and rice, pad thai, meatloaf with GF mac and cheese. Like I said if you keep it simple and fresh it's a lot easier on yourself. I'll be glad to give more pointers or info if you'd like. It's a shock and a PITA at first but you'll adjust and you'll get into a groove.
zephyrtexan
AG
My wife can't do gluten either, so I've gotten to learn how to do some cooking, sans-gluten.

If you're looking for a good flour substitute, Cup-For-Cup is my personal favorite.

Also, making pasta is a bit more challenging if you don't want to go store-bought (even though store-bought is actually pretty decent these days). I've found that when making pasta if I use a couple of full eggs and then around 8 egg yolks I can get it to work for me in a similar fashion. It'll be a bit sticky and you don't want to add much flour so I put the dough between two pieces of plastic wrap for rolling it out.
n_touch
Ag_07 is right. Shopping is a lot easier these days. Most stores will mark products that are certified and many of the manufacturers are doing the same. There are times we are still looking things up at the store just to make sure. We try to avoid a lot of the Gluten Free specialty items since they load them with other ingredients to cover up for the taste and texture.

• Aldi is your friend. They have some great GF products in their Live GFree line to make meals easier. I prefer their bread to Schar.
  • Cup for Cup is great for baking, we use Pillsbury. Xanthem Gum is a must when baking. It says that there is some already added, but we add a little more. It gets it closer to the texture of normal flour.
  • If you ever need GF cream of mushroom soup or chicken soup, the Walmart Great Value brand is the best we have come across. Make sure to buy ahead since they are constantly selling out around the holidays.

It is a huge shock at first and a lot of trial and error. We cook more and eat rarely often. Chic Fil A and a couple others that we can trust.
agcrock2005
AG
Thank you all very much for the input. Very helpful.
Ag_07
AG
Probably not a big deal with a youngster, but just a heads up about eating out.

Nowadays with GF being a diet fad we always make it a point to inform the waiter/manager we speak with that my wife has Celiac and is very allergic. A hipster on a GF diet getting served a meal that not completely GF won't notice a thing, but something like that puts my wife out for the count for a couple days.

It's just important that they know it's not something you're opting for, but it's a health risk.
BullSprig07
AG
My wife has celiac also and this get's annoying. It' way more understood than it was 10 years ago but the fact that it's also become a fad makes some people in foodservice who don't understand it is an allergy not take it very seriously.

We generally eat just meat and vegetables so it's not a huge deal but we keep udi's gluten free bread around as well as gluten free spaghetti.

Mexican food will be your friend for eating out. Just make sure and specify corn tortillas.
n_touch
Our experience is different with Mexican restaurants. Only a few that we can trust.
army01
AG
My almost 10 year old was diagnosed at 5. The best flour we have found is cup for cup. It's pricey, but truly makes a difference in baking compared to the nutty flours.
jwoodmd
Water Turkey07 said:

My wife has celiac also and this get's annoying. It' way more understood than it was 10 years ago but the fact that it's also become a fad makes some people in foodservice who don't understand it is an allergy not take it very seriously.
Absolutely this. The people who arbitrarily decided to go gluten free as a fad created a stigma toward anyone looking for gluten free. For those who absolutely need to be on gluten free it's a huge PITA for them as most people assume it's a choice and not a serious medical issue.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.