Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Ceviche?

2,688 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by HtownAg92
Punked Shank
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to play around with some ceviche this wknd...anyone have a good recipe they go to they want to share? Or tips
HTownAg98
Drain off the liquid when it's ready so it doesn't "overcook." When ready to serve it, add a fresh squirt of lime juice.
lazuras_dc
AG
This is a recipe I've sort of frankenstiened together. I like it a lot.

Soak snapper chunks for 2-3 hrs in
1/2cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4cup freshly squeezed lime juice

Then remove fish and drain

Add and stir together the following

2 large mangos, finely chopped
1 medium red onion, finely chopped
1.5 tsp Kosher salt
1 tsp Coarsely ground black pepper
2 tbs extra-virgin olive oil
1/2cup chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp minced garlic
1 tsp Cayenne
1tsp red pepper flakes
1 jalepeno seeded and diced
1 small roma tomato diced
Punked Shank
AG
Mango is a nice touch. Think ill throw some avacado in there for effect. Thank!
wadd96
AG
I like a little orange juice in mine as well as lemon and lime...
All the God's, all the Heavens, all the Hells are within you.
Potcake
AG
Wife made some tonight. We have it about once a week, either shrimp or fish (snapper or halibut).
1 lb fish
2 habaneros
2 serranos
2 small or 1 big avocado
4-5 limes
A little orange juice
Handfull of cilantro
A little salt and pepper

SpiderDude
AG
Sounds excellent... may give that a go!
The Milkman
AG
Several years ago I was about to have a third or fourth date with a girl and I had told her I was going to cook dinner. I said I would make a fun Mexican menu with fish tacos, ceviche and a couple other things, but I definitely didn't know how to make ceviche. So I asked a female friend of mine to help and she whipped up a fantastic one that I would have ready to serve the next day on the date.

Date went great, everything was a hit. Fast forward a few months and we were going to a dinner party at a friends house and she told them "Milkman makes the BEST ceviche we will bring that". In an attempt to stay true to my lie I told her the grocery store didnt have any good looking fish or shrimp so I thought a guacamole would be better.

Fast forward a few more months and we were breaking up. I knew girlfriend had always been somewhat skeptical/jealous of female friend and I's relationship. So during the lengthy breakup conversation I told her "I have to tell you something about Female Friend... she... made the ceviche".

Nothing more to add to this conversation on recipes, but thought it was a fun story.
TheFirebird
AG
I love ceviche and am a traditionalist. Soak the fish in enough lime juice to cover two hours or so, add a teaspoon of salt to the marinade. Snapper is great, but if something else looks better at the market and it's white flesh and ocean going, get that.

Make pico de gallo. A couple of fresh tomatoes, one medium onion, two serrano chilis, cilantro, a garlic cloves. A bit of salt and pepper to taste.

Take the fish out of the soak so it doesn't "overlook". Squeeze some fresh lime juice on the ceveche when you add the fish and add a tablespoon of the marinade to the mix as well. Serve with sliced avacado on top.
Here4Beer
AG
All this ceviche talk has my mouth watering
SpiderDude
AG
lazuras_dc said:

This is a recipe I've sort of frankenstiened together. I like it a lot.

Soak snapper chunks for 2-3 hrs in
1/2cup freshly squeezed lemon juice
1/4cup freshly squeezed lime juice

Then remove fish and drain

How much Snapper? 1lb enough?!
Punked Shank
AG
Thanks for the replies guys. Hitting the seafood market on the water here on saturday. Had a good idea in my head but going to modify based on some of the replies here.

Will let you know what i create
Ornlu
AG
Would anyone ever consider making ceviche from Texas Hybrid Striped Bass? I've only had it from snapper and grouper (I think). Never had fresh-water fish ceviche.
RCR06
AG
There was an epidemiologist on the meateater (hunting focused) podcast and they asked about using fresh water fish for ceviche. He said theres always some risk with eating raw fish, but that on the whole freshwater fish isn't any more dangerous to eat raw than salt water fish.
That is interesting. I've always heard that freshwater fish are much more likely to have bacterial infections or even stuff like tapeworms (pike very susceptible?). But I'm no scientist so I find your information very interesting.
Ornlu
AG
4133 said:

That is interesting. I've always heard that freshwater fish are much more likely to have bacterial infections or even stuff like tapeworms (pike very susceptible?). But I'm no scientist so I find your information very interesting.

I read an article that says an FDA-approved method to kill eggs of fluke worms, tapeworms, and roundworms is to freeze the fish to -4 Fahrenheit for 7 to 10 days. That's what I'm going to try.
RCR06
AG
I think everyone has heard that same thing about freshwater fish. He did say you could get a tapeworm from raw freshwater fish, but that it's not harmful. Saltwater fish have their own worm issues.

Go to around 30 minutes if you want to listen to it.

https://www.themeateater.com/listen/meateater/ep-191-sicker-than-hell
RCR06
AG
How are you going to get it to -4. I thought home freezers didnt get that cold.
RK
AG
My kitchen freezer goes to -10
RGV AG
AG
Had bass and wild caught tilapia ceviche many times in the past. No issues, but doesn't mean it is safe.
HtownAg92
AG
I make mine a little tipsy by adding tequila.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.