Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Top 100 Restaurants In Texas According To Yelp

6,096 Views | 31 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by agdaddy04
Vade281
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not gonna lie...I've only heard of a few of these. I do intend to try the ones in Carrolton and the Casa Mia near the house.

https://yelpblog.com/2019/03/top-100-places-to-eat-in-texas-according-to-yelp
PSN/XBOX/Origin/Epic/Steam/Uplay: Vade281
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
ToddyHill
AG
Mary's Cafe in Strawn isn't listed. Maybe it was number 101.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
A lot of the Austin ones are food trucks
Potcake
AG
I've only eaten at two, Jewboy and Santorini in Austin. Jewboy burgers are legit.
jeffdjohnson
Yelp is good to give yourself some ideas of new, local places to check out. This list is too simplistic. Some of those places have less than 100 reviews total and aren't even places you would want to sit down at.
WES2006AG
AG
Lots of fail on that list. Two of the Houston restaurants are Poke spots. Is that type of restaurant even going to exist next year?
AggieBarstool
Austin seems unduly represented in that list.

And what of the excellent Mexican fare in West and South Texas? I see El Paso listed only once. Lulz.
Vade281
AG
I don't even know what the criteria is but it's a list of restaurants I've never heard of. It's a win in my book if they end up being good.
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
Punked Shank
AG
WES2006AG said:

Lots of fail on that list. Two of the Houston restaurants are Poke spots. Is that type of restaurant even going to exist next year?

Poke is big on the west coast. Seems odd to have that as Houston's choices they picked.
BSD
AG
I went to #11 on that list a few weeks ago, DB's Rustic Iron BBQ. I wouldn't even put it in the top 11 in Terlingua!
cc10106
I've only been to Tony's since they changed ownership in the last year or two, but it's fantastic and a must-stop if you're around Conroe.
schmendeler
AG
this list is essentially useless.
Aggieangler93
AG
You have to consider the source. I think this list isn't worth much!
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
jja79
AG
Tony's Italian Deli on 105 and Le Pam's House of Creole on 1960 near Walters are both fantastic.
Boat Shoes
AG
Ate at Tonys on Thursday. Excellent sandwich.
Yelp is the worst thing that has happened to eating in the past 20 years
WES2006AG
AG
4133 said:

I see what you are saying but it does serve a purpose. I like to see pics of actual food before I eat at a place, especially when traveling. You can get a good feel for whether or not you are going to enjoy a meal.

With that said, I am sure I am missing some good spots because the Yelp algorithm isn't showing them to me.
agree the food pics are nice
CDub06
AG
Tony's in Montgomery (Lake Conroe) is fantastic. But...it's probably not worth being #1.

Hugs Cafe is probably rated that high more because of their mission of hiring people with special needs.

Nelson's BBQ was terrible when I tried it, but they've been getting some pub recently, so who knows?

Truth Barbecue - Fantastic. Corkscrew Barbecue - Fantastic. Tyler's Barbecue - Great. Spicy Mike's BBQ - Not great...

That's all I got.

There are so many flaws in creating a list like this. Not to mention the fact it's based on Yelp reviews. I use Yelp a ton when I travel. It helps me create a potential list of restaurants to visit, but more than anything, I rely on the pictures.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Wasn't Tony's number 1 in the country at some point, or am I thinking of something else?
jeffdjohnson
WES2006AG said:

4133 said:

I see what you are saying but it does serve a purpose. I like to see pics of actual food before I eat at a place, especially when traveling. You can get a good feel for whether or not you are going to enjoy a meal.

With that said, I am sure I am missing some good spots because the Yelp algorithm isn't showing them to me.

Agree with this. I actually found Skyrocket Burger (number 78 on this dumb list) from Yelp. I never would have found it otherwise as its in a small strip mall behind a gas station, with low visibility from the road. Yelp has its purpose and it was a damn good burger. But the 78th best place to eat in Texas? Nah.

I think some people take the difference between a 3.5, 4 and 4.5 star place too seriously/literally. As mentioned it is better to use the pictures on Yelp at that point rather than the number of stars.
Diggity
AG
I think it's fine for vacations. I can prevent my in laws from choosing some awful restaurant based solely on its proximity to wherever the hotel is.

It's proven useful more times than not.
jh0400
AG
Diggity said:

I think it's fine for vacations. I can prevent my in laws from choosing some awful restaurant based solely on its proximity to wherever the hotel is.

It's proven useful more times than not.

This. Yelp is a great place to if you're looking for somewhere to eat while travelling.
Na Zdraví 87
AG
Comfort Cafe in Smithville is excellent.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Yelp is a racketeering operation that shakes down small businesses and gives a voice to the dumbs and modern day con artists.
Diggity
AG
That explains why all those big corporate food trucks are topping the lists in Austin!
The Silverback
AG
Oh Wow.....Lebowski grill in Austin made the list, its in a 40 year old bowling alley. Enough said.
Boat Shoes
AG
The Silverback said:

Oh Wow.....Lebowski grill in Austin made the list, its in a 40 year old bowling alley. Enough said.

Ha. I had an excellent cheeseburger there.
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Been to plenty of awesome places that are 3.5 stars on Yelp. Been to plenty of crappy, overpriced places that are 4.5 stars on Yelp.

It's helpful to realize that it's hipsters and Greg D. rating everything on Yelp. Balance the ratings there against Google and other ratings sites and you're fine.
Vade281
AG
I had Tommy Tamles last week, and probably the best tamales I've ever had. +1 for the habenero.
www.twitch.tv/vade281_
OregonAggie
AG
railway Cafe in Athens is deserving. Cool little cafe and the food is great.
Azeew
That must be "Best of the Most Obscure Restaurants"
agdaddy04
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Wasn't Tony's number 1 in the country at some point, or am I thinking of something else?

You're correct, but ownership has changed since then so good to see the quality hasn't dipped.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.