Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

National Kolache Day - March 1

2,318 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FIDO*98*
PFG
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
March 1- National Kolache Day

Where are you getting your favorite fruit or cheese filled Czech treat this morning?

**note- national pig in a blanket day is April 24.

500,000ags
AG
Green's Sausage House or GTFO
FIDO*98*
AG
Jalapeno & Cheese Sausage
PFG
AG
I'm so happy it only took 3 posts to get a pig in the blanket you the man Fido.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I need to make some boudin kolaches
FIDO*98*
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

Ever had Ruben Kolaches?
FIDO*98*
AG
LiveOak said:

I'm so happy it only took 3 posts to get a pig in the blanket you the man Fido.

I'm not talking about Coctail Weenies wrapped in Crescent or Biscuit dough. I'm talking good old fashioned South Texas Czech Sausage Kolaches
Bruce Almighty
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Bruce Almighty said:

Ever had Ruben Kolaches?

Nope, but sounds like a delicious way to piss off the kolache dorks.
MookieBlaylock
AG
So people that can tell what a kolache is are dorks but put some beans in chili or put the brisket fat side up are cool
FIDO*98*
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

So people that can tell what a kolache is are dorks but put some beans in chili or put the brisket fat side up are cool

Anyone who's been to the Motherland can tell you there there is not a single authentic Czech Kolach being served in the State of Texas. If the fruit pastries are Kolache then so are the Sausage. Growing up, you had Poppy Seed, Apricot, Prune, Peach, Cherry, and Farmhouse style cottage cheese. Klosbanik was almost used more as a type of Kolach. Adding pie fillings and cream cheese is a far greater crime than calling a Klobasnik a Kolach. Adding an "S" to Kolache would have bothered my Czech grandma much worse than calling it a Sausage Kolach

Texas Chili, on the other hand, has standards that need to be met.
PFG
AG
Cottage Cheese...the most underrated Kolach behind the glass.
HTownAg98
LiveOak said:

Cottage Cheese...the most underrated Kolach behind the glass.

You misspelled poppy seed. Just don't eat one before giving a presentation.
HTownAg98
FIDO*98* said:

MookieBlaylock said:

Anyone who's been to the Motherland can tell you there there is not a single authentic Czech Kolach being served in the State of Texas. If the fruit pastries are Kolache then so are the Sausage. Growing up, you had Poppy Seed, Apricot, Prune, Peach, Cherry, and Farmhouse style cottage cheese. Klosbanik was almost used more as a type of Kolach. Adding pie fillings and cream cheese is a far greater crime than calling a Klobasnik a Kolach. Adding an "S" to Kolache would have bothered my Czech grandma much worse than calling it a Sausage Kolach

Texas Chili, on the other hand, has standards that need to be met.

What are the ones from the Motherland like then? I'm honestly curious, because the kind my mom makes do not resemble the ones you find in bakeries at all.
MookieBlaylock
AG
The Kolache in parts of Texas have been reduced to the Cincinnati chilli

Kolache is a Texas Czech thing same as Texas Chilli

It is a shame you embarrass your culture by accepting a pig in a blanket

FIDO*98*
AG
This is fairly close to most of what we saw. Even these are probably filled a bit more than the majority. The dough is much more dense like a Danish and far less sweet than what we think of in TX. Not much deviation from apricot, prune, and poppy. In fact, I don't know that there was any other kind. Poppy dominates, but, there they don't wrap the Poppy Seed like we do here. Also, almond/ground almond/almond extract was ubiquitous on them. I liked them much better than my wife.

If a Klobasnik exists over there we didn't see one
Duck Blind
AG
FIDO*98* said:

This is fairly close to most of what we saw. Even these are probably filled a bit more than the majority. The dough is much more dense like a Danish and far less sweet than what we think of in TX. Not much deviation from apricot, prune, and poppy. In fact, I don't know that there was any other kind. Poppy dominates, but, there they don't wrap the Poppy Seed like we do here. Also, almond/ground almond/almond extract was ubiquitous on them. I liked them much better than my wife.

If a Klobasnik exists over there we didn't see one

Visited the Motherland. Not one Texas style kolache in Prague. Very much like the pics above. Went to 3 bakeries until I found them...nor did any have klobasniks.
FIDO*98*
AG
Funny part of it all is that Kolache are really an afterthought for Czechs. Trdelnik is what they actually serve everywhere in CZ and is probably the most representative bread dish of the country. Seeing this picture makes me want to get on a plane......

Duck Blind
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Funny part of it all is that Kolache are really an afterthought for Czechs. Trdelnik is what they actually serve everywhere in CZ and is probably the most representative bread dish of the country. Seeing this picture makes me want to get on a plane......

I'll meet you there! Everywhere we ate in Prague I felt like my sainted late-grandmother was in the kitchen. The food in Prague and Warsaw was absolutely great.
HTownAg98
Good to know. My mom's recipe has much more in common with the traditional Czech ones as you've described. They're round, not sweet, have a chew to the dough, with a small amount of filling. Here don't have almond, but that may be because someone didntvlike almonds and left it out.
FIDO*98*
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

The Kolache in parts of Texas have been reduced to the Cincinnati chilli

Kolache is a Texas Czech thing same as Texas Chilli

It is a shame you embarrass your culture by accepting a pig in a blanket

When I was a kid visiting grandma in West, Kolache was used similar to the way we talk about Coke in relation to Soda.

"I'm going to get some Kolache" ..... "Ok, get me a Poppy Seed and a Sausage"

When we used Klobasnik/Klobasniki was when we were either making them or that's the only thing we were getting. As in "Will you pick up some Nemecek Sausage so we can make some Klobasniki" or "I'm going run and pick up some Klobasnik, want anything else?" ..... "Sure, grab me a Prune and Apricot Kolach"

Half the places that sell Kolache now days don't even have Prune, Poppy Seed, Farm Cheese, and often Apricot.

Calling the cream cheese and pie filling pastries that have taken over the shelves at the 50 pump gas station/bakeries are a far greater deviation from an old school Tex-Czech Kolach than calling a Klobasnik a Kolach.

Vincek's in East Bernard have the closest to CZ and have always been my favorite.

Jak se Mas beeches!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.