Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Wagyu vs retired dairy cow...

3,647 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Joe Exotic
PooDoo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thought y'all might enjoy this.

Duncan Idaho
Would be curious to know what kind of feed the cows we're getting. The cows on my uncle's dairy farm always look so damn emaciated, just skin, bones and udder
Joe Exotic
AG
Lost me at grass fed
jja79
AG
Amazing what selective breeding will do.
Icecream_Ag
S
The sprouts by me has had feed for about $20/lbs and "regular" for $13/lbs. The grass fed is never as good. Not enough fat, not as tender, and funky flavor.

Now wagyu isn't an option (unless I make the drive to a bigger HEB) but I don't see how they could be even close in flavor
jwoodmd
Icecream_Ag said:

The sprouts by me has had feed for about $20/lbs and "regular" for $13/lbs. The grass fed is never as good. Not enough fat, not as tender, and funky flavor.

Now wagyu isn't an option (unless I make the drive to a bigger HEB) but I don't see how they could be even close in flavor
Problem with "grass fed" is that there are so many variables - namely, what type of grass was being consumed. Grass in Wyoming ain't the same as what's being eaten in the Carolinas.
Rattler12
I was raised on a dairy and we had a Holstein and Jersey mixed herd. We were fixing fence on the trap where we kept the heifer calves we were raising as future milkers and one of the Holsteins was pushing her head through the fence to get to the "greener grass" on the other side. My brother flipped a claw hammer at her to run her off, hit her behind the top knot and killed her dead. We strung her up and butchered her. Leanest beef in the world ..and the toughest. Wasn't fit to eat.
gigem70
AG
I watched the video but it's still hard for me to believe that an old dairy cow would have that much marbling.
Gig-Em2003
AG
Those guys did not impress me with their knowledge of steak. "It must be grass-fed" is ridiculous. He thought he had to cook it in the oven because the meat was different. No, it was just a thicker cut. Not impressed.
John Francis Donaghy
Icecream_Ag said:

I think it depends what you grow up with. In other countries, grass fed is the norm, and corn fed is the "other" option. Friends of mine from Canada and Europe can't stand corn fed beef because they think it tastes funky.
GAC06
AG
Agreed about the perspectives on what tases funky. Grass fed is the way people have done beef through most of history. Just because it's not the norm here for various reasons (cost, homogeneity, flavor) doesn't mean it's wrong. People get unnecessarily militant on both sides.
Tanya 93
I didn't eat beef for 20 years or more.

I like the grass fed steak from the Farmer's Market more than the stuff from the grocery store.

It has a more defined taste that I enjoy.
chipotle
To me grass fed tastes better because it's more expensive
Old RV Ag
AG
Rattler12 said:

I was raised on a dairy and we had a Holstein and Jersey mixed herd. We were fixing fence on the trap where we kept the heifer calves we were raising as future milkers and one of the Holsteins was pushing her head through the fence to get to the "greener grass" on the other side. My brother flipped a claw hammer at her to run her off, hit her behind the top knot and killed her dead. We strung her up and butchered her. Leanest beef in the world ..and the toughest. Wasn't fit to eat.
Not surprising. Jersey and Holstein don't make good eating really even if grain fed. There are some grass fed tender good eating beef cattle but need right conditions and type of grass. The grass fed movement at places like whole foods is pure marketing for city slickers. I only eat grass fed if I butchered the steer directly and knew it's full dietary history.
Front Range Ag
AG
If they're actively milking, they are going to look that way. Lactation is one of the most demanding physiological processes an animal goes through and dairy cattle are bred to do that to the max.

They are in a state of negative energy balance for most of the year. It doesn't mean they're mistreated, it's just how they appear. Consider the difference in appearance between a healthy English bulldog and a healthy Great Dane.

I didn't watch the video, but if they are 'retired' they can put on body condition similar to other breeds with the same feed.
Joe Exotic
AG
John Francis Donaghy said:

Icecream_Ag said:

I think it depends what you grow up with. In other countries, grass fed is the norm, and corn fed is the "other" option. Friends of mine from Canada and Europe can't stand corn fed beef because they think it tastes funky.

Most beef from Canada is finished on grain. The major difference there is wether the grain is corn or barley.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.