Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Any ideas on where to get sourdough starter?

1,642 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by bigboykin
AggieDad24
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I know I can make it myself but it takes awhile and I've killed more than I like to admit
gigemags87
AG
I've purchased some pizza dough cultures from these guys

http://www.sourdo.com/our-sourdough-cultures-2/
HTownAg98
MaroonBaboon said:

I know I can make it myself but it takes awhile and I've killed more than I like to admit

A starter isn't going to change the fact that you're killing your starter. The fauna of your local environment will soon take over whatever starter you get, because those bacteria are adapted to it. If you buy a starter and do the same thing that is killing your starter that you normally use, it's going to die.
Duncan Idaho
Carl's friends

http://carlsfriends.net/
SACR
AG
Duncan Idaho said:

Carl's friends

http://carlsfriends.net/

I read about that years ago, so glad to see it is still going on.
SACR
AG
MaroonBaboon said:

If you're having a crisis of confidence because some starters have failed on you, just make some biga, and use that to make bread. Keep it in the fridge, and the longer you keep it and use it, the more complexity of flavor that develops.

Take half a cup of warm water, and drop half a teaspoon of instant yeast into it. Let the yeast bubble for 10 minutes, then add a full cup of room temperature water. Slowly stir in 3 3/4 cups of all purpose flour or unbleached flour (either works) one cup at a time. Mix for approximately four minutes, should give you a nice wet dough.

Oil a bowl three times as large as your biga mixture, and scrape the biga into the bowl. Let it sit and rise for 8-24 hours. The longer you let it rest, the more complex the flavors become.

Now you have your biga. Keep in the fridge if you plan to make bread once a week, or just keep it at room temperature and make bread every day. Feed it with what you replace.

So a bread recipe calling for 7-8 cups of flour would require 1 cup of biga. So you'd replace that by feeding the biga with 1/2 cup of flour and 1/2 cup of water.

Duncan Idaho
Make sure you are using distilled water. Depending on where you are you could be adding a lot of salt or chlorine and killing you culture
bigboykin
AG
Where ya at? I've got one in Arlington I started about 6 months ago that I've been really happy with. I'm honestly terrible at remembering to feed it on time, but these are some hardy little bugs; can't kill 'em and they go crazy after a feeding.

My results with bread have only been decent, but that's more due to my corner cutting and general beginnerism than anything the yeast did wrong, but I think it did wonders for the depth of flavor in my pizza dough.

I'm still learning, and I definitely wouldn't wager that mine's as good or better than the more established, vetted versions you can find online or from a more experienced baker. But, If anything it's local to TX and fit to survive here.

If you're nearby bring a mason jar, and I'll hook you up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.