Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

New Oven Question/Help

1,429 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Koko Chingo
Ag_07
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Probably not the correct forum for this question but you guys cook a shlt ton so I'm coming to you for input.

We're redoing our kitchen and trying to decide on appliances.

For the oven how important is a self clean mode? Even further price being equal would you rather have a 4.3 cu ft (27") with a self clean or the bigger 5.0 cu ft (30") without self clean?
Icecream_Ag
S
This is texags, even I have a double commercial oven and range and I live in a small apartment. Not to mention the smoker, grill, pellet smoker, flat top, and walk in cooler
aggiespartan
AG
I would choose the bigger oven. 27 is pretty small. If you have plans to host any parties or holidays, this isn't going to work very well.

The self cleaning cycle is very nice, although not necessary.
Van Buren Boy
AG
kitchenaide
Max06
AG
Definitely go with the bigger option. You'll cook in your oven WAY more than you clean it. If it's electric, get one of those silicone oven mats for the bottom of the oven and it makes cleanup SOOO much easier
Ag_07
AG
aggiespartan said:

I would choose the bigger oven. 27 is pretty small. If you have plans to host any parties or holidays, this isn't going to work very well.

The self cleaning cycle is very nice, although not necessary.

This is my thinking as well. In the future I can see us regretting not having the extra space more so than us regretting not having a self cleaning feature.

Plus the more I read about self cleaning the more I'm hesitant to even use it. Seems lots of people say that the high heat of self cleaning stresses the components and increases the likelihood of malfunctions and costly repairs.
FarmerJohn
AG
Cleaning the oven by hand sucks but you don't do it that often. I'm just not a fan of the high heat and smoke. Of course my oven is from 1978 and I had to do the wiring for the heating element, so take that for what it's worth.
gigemags87
AG
Largest you can fit/afford.

Lots of issues reported with self-cleaning. I've experienced self-cleaning mechanism locking and never unlocking after cooling down. I don't use and it and wouldn't recommend.

We have had Thermador and now have Viking. Both are great.
austinag1997
AG
The self clean is often a problem. The dang oven gets so hot. I have had electronics cook from the self clean. New oven doent have a self clean. Doesnt bother me.
htxag09
AG
Icecream_Ag said:

This is texags, even I have a double commercial oven and range and I live in a small apartment. Not to mention the smoker, grill, pellet smoker, flat top, and walk in cooler

Who cleans their own ove? My house keeper/maid cleans everything after my Michelin star chef cooks our meals.
Icecream_Ag
S
htxag09 said:

Icecream_Ag said:

Who cleans their own ove? My house keeper/maid cleans everything after my Michelin star chef cooks our meals.
damn didn't know the 09 meant 1909 ya old
Koko Chingo
AG
I would also say choose the larger oven.

Cleaning an oven manually is not that bad. Spray with eazy-off - wait 30+ minutes to let the cleaner soak in. More time for a dirtier oven. Then use a rag and/or scotch brite to scrub the dirt out.

A self-cleaning oven just gets real hot for a long time - when its done just wipe the oven out with a damp rag.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.