Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

easy meal to feed a group, and travel with it

3,985 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by rlb28
AustinCountyAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
my wife and I are meeting up with a handful of couples in Fredericksburg and we were volunteered to supply dinner one evening. I'm looking for easy meal ideas that can be made in advance, and transported easily. must be enough to feed 12 adults.

Suggestions?
hph6203
AG
Hamburger helper, you won't be volunteered again.
TexDill15
AG
BIG OL PAN OF LASAGNA.
schmendeler
AG
mmm, leftovers for dinner.
FincAg
AG
Our dinners for cabin trips include making these ahead of time, freezing, and then cooking them for 12-18 people.

King Ranch Chicken
Chicken Spaghetti
Lasagna
Red and Green Enchiladas
Rigatoni
Chicken Bacon Broccoli Quinoa
bmc13
AG
lasagna or enchiladas as long as the place has an oven
jja79
AG
Go to James Coney Island in Katy before you leave and get a giant tub of their chili without beans. When you get there tell them you made it. Chopped onions, grated cheese and fritos if they want them.
Bruce Almighty
AG
King Ranch Chicken
FIDO*98*
AG
Lots of good suggestions so far. I'll add

Baked Ziti - Little easier than Lasagna
Shepherd's Pie
Meatloaf and Mashed Potatoes

I'll also add that for big groups like that I tend to be cautious with ingredients that are not as universally liked such as mushrooms and bell peppers.

momlaw
AG
Chalupa bar:
tostadas
refried beans
meat choices
grated cheese
assorted toppings: lettuce, pico, jalapenos, green onions, cilantro, salsas, sour cream, etc
make guacamole there

Everyone can make theirs per their preferences.
momlaw
HTownAg98
Beef stew
sawemoffshort85
When I fire up the smoker, i throw on a couple extra pork butts. After cooking, i pull them and vacuum seal them. If it's more than a couple of days before I need them, i freeze them. They travel very well and can be heated in a crockpot. I usually serve with baked or charro beans.
PooDoo
AG
jja79 said:

Go to James Coney Island in Katy before you leave and get a giant tub of their chili without beans. When you get there tell them you made it. Chopped onions, grated cheese and fritos if they want them.

SACR
AG

What will you have access to in Fredericksburg?

Stove? Oven?

---------------------------------------------------
"Now you're suggesting uncleanliness during a viral outbreak? What other great ideas you got Typhoid Mary[?]"

jamey, 3/13/20

-------------------------------------------------

"They log into each other's accounts and post. They probably are two different people but that doesn't matter much when you log into other peoples accounts."
Beckdiesel03
AG
Another one I do is bbq baked potatoes. I'll stop and get chopped bbq from somewhere and just bring cheese, potatoes to bake and other fixings. That way your not doing a ton of prep.
88Warrior
Pressed ham sandwiches on Rainbo white bread wrapped in wax paper with a toothpick closure...eaten in the back of a 1977 LTD station wagon..washed down with a Shasta red cream soda topped off with a chick o stik or dum dum sucker...my road trips as a youth in the 70's...
Bunk Moreland
http://cajunmeats.com/

If you can travel with it frozen and have an oven to cook with...order a couple of their stuffed whole chickens. Can throw it in the oven frozen and cook it.

They're in various HEB's now but you can also order online. Everything I've ever bought of theirs was fantastic. Just cooked a Jalepeno & Cream Cheese stuffed pork tenderloin that was wrapped in bacon last night. Incredible.
Texmid
AG
88Warrior said:

Pressed ham sandwiches on Rainbo white bread wrapped in wax paper with a toothpick closure...eaten in the back of a 1977 LTD station wagon..washed down with a Shasta red cream soda topped off with a chick o stik or dum dum sucker...my road trips as a youth in the 70's...
Just make sure the dog hasn't taken a leak on them.
SACR
AG
what did you end up deciding on?
jgh85Ag
AG
That giant M in the sky visible for several miles just taunted you didn't it?
AustinCountyAg
The trip isn't for a couple weeks....

Right now I'm leaning towards a casserole type of dish, or maybe just do something simple like hot dogs/brats
Txmoe
AG
Pulled pork!

Can do ahead of time and warm up in crock pot on the day of. Then just take hamburger buns (I like to use Kings Hawaiian) and other fixins.
WALTON LOADS!
AG
Wouldn't a restaurant be a lot easier?
Ag MD 84
AG
assortment Opa's sausages, buns or tortillas, mustards, beer, corn on the cob, salad, grill
AustinCountyAg
Well yes but everyone isn't arriving to town at the same time so we wanted to have food available for everyone when they arrived.
SACR
AG
Will you have access to a kitchen, therefore a stove and oven?
AustinCountyAg
yes access to kitchen (stove, oven, crock pot, etc)

I am pretty sure I will do either a king ranch casserols(s) or pulled pork for sandwiches. That way I can transport them there and simply reheat them. The only thing that worries me with the pulled pork is having it dry out when re-heating.

The plan is to do all the cooking Sunday, or Mon/Tue and storing it in the fridge until Friday. I am assuming if I store the leftover juices/fat from cooking in a crockpot I can dump that back over the top during re-heating on Friday evening?
FIDO*98*
AG
AustinCountyAg said:

The only thing that worries me with the pulled pork is having it dry out when re-heating.

Vacuum seal the Pulled Pork then toss the sealed bag (Or bags) in simmering water for 15-20 minutes.
rlb28
AG
Zatarain's jambalaya
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.