Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Chili (Texas Red) vs Chili Con Carne

7,927 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jwoodmd
RK
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Classic.

And sounds like a Fido post.
JSKolache
AG
barnacle bob said:

Hey Guys,

I have been making AustinAgChef's chili for a little while tweaking the recipe to taste, and it is a good what I would call a Texas Red Chili.

In the winter I will often get Chili Con Carne on rice when out for Mexican. The flavor profile is similar yet so different from a red chili. I assume Mexican style does not have tomato, but what would you sub for the base? Does anyone have a good Mexican Chili Con Carne?

No base. Make meat the base. I dont like tomatos/tomato sauce at all, in any dish. Brown meat, season it, then simmer for at least 3 hrs. If you have to have a liquid, then add beer and/or a pot of coffee.
B-1 83
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Should probably mix a tsp MSG and a Tbls Fish sauce and add to the Chili con Carne and yell "Umami Bomb!!!" when you serve it to guests
Will I have to pound my fist on the table while you do so?
FIDO*98*
AG
I think both hands on the air has more of an authentic Asian flair......ya know, since we're talking Texas chili and all.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I guess oregano gives chili a Mediterranean flair.
B-1 83
AG
Bruce Almighty said:

I guess oregano gives chili a Mediterranean flair.
Actually, a little MEXICAN oregano is fair game.
Txmoe
AG
The Office making an appearance in the Food and Spirits board.
Txmoe
AG
schmendeler said:

That's ok. Some would probably call me a gatekeeper on here.
You misspelled "a-hole"
schmendeler
AG
Txmoe said:

schmendeler said:

That's ok. Some would probably call me a gatekeeper on here.
You misspelled "a-hole"
a food hole?
AgsMnn
AG
FIDO*98* said:

barnacle bob said:

I assume Mexican style does not have tomato, but what would you sub for the base? Does anyone have a good Mexican Chili Con Carne?

FIDO*98* said:

Make a Chili gravy with 1/4c peanut oil, 1/4c flour, 1/4c Gebhardt's Chili powder, 1c water, and 1c high quality beef broth. Salt to taste

Add in 2 cups of your favorite homemade Beef Chili

Wifey wanted Cheese Enchiladas for dinner so here you go.

This is the exact recipe and ratios I posted. Left to right. Leftover Chili (just a basic quick weeknight recipe), Oil + flour + Gebhardt, making the chili roux, added the liquid and brought to a simmer to thicken. I did add a little salt at this point. You could stop here and have 2 cups of basic Tex-Mex enchilada sauce.

After adding the 2 cups of leftover Chili it should look familiar to anyone who's ever ordered Enchiladas with Chile con Carne at a Mexican restaurant in Texas.

Don't stop there. Keep posting pictures to the finished enchiladas.
jwoodmd
barnacle bob said:

Hey Guys,

I have been making AustinAgChef's chili for a little while tweaking the recipe to taste, and it is a good what I would call a Texas Red Chili.

In the winter I will often get Chili Con Carne on rice when out for Mexican. The flavor profile is similar yet so different from a red chili. I assume Mexican style does not have tomato, but what would you sub for the base? Does anyone have a good Mexican Chili Con Carne?

A real red chile sauce does not use tomato as a base! The base (and red color) is the chile. Oh, mama mia, tomato sauces are for Eye-talian cuisine.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.