Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Chili (Texas Red) vs Chili Con Carne

7,926 Views | 44 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by jwoodmd
barnacle bob
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hey Guys,

I have been making AustinAgChef's chili for a little while tweaking the recipe to taste, and it is a good what I would call a Texas Red Chili.

In the winter I will often get Chili Con Carne on rice when out for Mexican. The flavor profile is similar yet so different from a red chili. I assume Mexican style does not have tomato, but what would you sub for the base? Does anyone have a good Mexican Chili Con Carne?

investorAg83
AG
Maybe the carne recipe from Fido's cheese enchilada post?

https://texags.com/forums/12/topics/1193106
schmendeler
AG
you need to add cinnamon and chocolate.
ORAggieFan
This is outstanding.

https://www.seriouseats.com/recipes/2011/11/real-texas-chili-con-carne.html

ETA - missed your Mexican comment so not sure if that changes things.
Jimmy McNulty
AG
Can you post the thread with AustinAgChef's recipe?
FIDO*98*
AG
Make a Chili gravy with 1/4c peanut oil, 1/4c flour, 1/4c Gebhardt's Chili powder, 1c water, and 1c high quality beef broth. Salt to taste

Add in 2 cups of your favorite homemade Beef Chili
Austintm
ORAggieFan said:

This is outstanding.

ETA - missed your Mexican comment so not sure if that changes things.
Except that recipe calls for 2 ingredients that have no business in Texas (or Mexican) chili:

• 2 tablespoons Asian fish sauce
  • 2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
Hodor
AG
Don't knock fish sauce if you haven't tried it. It's like an umami bomb in a dish like chili, and makes it taste meatier.
I haven't tried the vi gear, and probably won't. But fish sauce is legit.
Bruce Almighty
AG
If it tastes good, who gives a ***** I think some of you would rather eat something inferior as long as it checked all your "Texan" boxes. This is how I imagine some of y'all.

After eating chili A: "That was a damn good bowl of Texas chili, one of the best I've ever had".
After eating chili B: "That was the best damn bowl of chili I've ever put in my mouth. I need the recipe now. Wait a minute, there's fish sauce and cinnamon? Give me the chili A recipe.
FIDO*98*
AG
Interesting choice of words using "Inferior"

I could not determine which bowl is superior or inferior as one thing is Texas Chili and the Serious Eats recipe is a different dish altogether. It is arguably more like Carne Guisada than Chili.

Some days I might be in the mood for the Red Chile Stew and some days I want a bowl of Texas Chili. They may be first Cousins, but, they are not necessarily fungible
Bruce Almighty
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Interesting choice of words using "Inferior"

I could not determine which bowl is superior or inferior as one thing is Texas Chili and the Serious Eats recipe is a different dish altogether. It is arguably more like Carne Guisada than Chili.

Some days I might be in the mood for the Red Chile Stew and some days I want a bowl of Texas Chili. They may be first Cousins, but, they are not necessarily fungible

Yes, inferior. And my post wasn't necessarily about the serious eats recipe, but just the dumb make believe rules people have for foods like chili. Two identical pots, made the same way, except one has a couple tablespoons fish sauce, and it's no longer Texas chili. It's dumb.
Sooner Born
I think you missed the point of the post, Fido.
Hodor
AG
Sooner Born said:

Agree. It's about how annoying gatekeepers are.
I'll also use fish sauce in my bolognese. Same reason, same result.
FIDO*98*
AG
Guess I better get used to living in 2019......

Where this is a woman

and "Umami Bomb" is how we now describe Texas Chili
Jimmy McNulty
AG
It'll be ok dude.
Velvet Jones
AG
If you're not using fish sauce in your chili you're missing out.
BSD
AG
NColoradoAG
Dont ever change, Food board.
FIDO*98*
AG
barnacle bob said:

I assume Mexican style does not have tomato, but what would you sub for the base? Does anyone have a good Mexican Chili Con Carne?

FIDO*98* said:

Make a Chili gravy with 1/4c peanut oil, 1/4c flour, 1/4c Gebhardt's Chili powder, 1c water, and 1c high quality beef broth. Salt to taste

Wifey wanted Cheese Enchiladas for dinner so here you go.

This is the exact recipe and ratios I posted. Left to right. Leftover Chili (just a basic quick weeknight recipe), Oil + flour + Gebhardt, making the chili roux, added the liquid and brought to a simmer to thicken. I did add a little salt at this point. You could stop here and have 2 cups of basic Tex-Mex enchilada sauce.

After adding the 2 cups of leftover Chili it should look familiar to anyone who's ever ordered Enchiladas with Chile con Carne at a Mexican restaurant in Texas.

Austintm
FIDO*98* said:

barnacle bob said:

I assume Mexican style does not have tomato, but what would you sub for the base? Does anyone have a good Mexican Chili Con Carne?

FIDO*98* said:

Wifey wanted Cheese Enchiladas for dinner so here you go.

This is the exact recipe and ratios I posted. Left to right. Leftover Chili (just a basic quick weeknight recipe), Oil + flour + Gebhardt, making the chili roux, added the liquid and brought to a simmer to thicken. I did add a little salt at this point. You could stop here and have 2 cups of basic Tex-Mex enchilada sauce.

After adding the 2 cups of leftover Chili it should look familiar to anyone who's ever ordered Enchiladas with Chile con Carne at a Mexican restaurant in Texas.

Looks awesome.
And done without fish sauce...
schmendeler
AG
How about sprinkling some pure msg in there? Is that cool or no?
FIDO*98*
AG
Should probably mix a tsp MSG and a Tbls Fish sauce and add to the Chili con Carne and yell "Umami Bomb!!!" when you serve it to guests
Sooner Born
It's the only way to go.
schmendeler
AG
Not gonna lie I bought a container of Accent and that **** makes everything better.
Hodor
AG
schmendeler said:

Not gonna lie I bought a container of Accent and that **** makes everything better.
It was fine until you admitted it to the gatekeepers here at Texags.
schmendeler
AG
That's ok. Some would probably call me a gatekeeper on here.
JFrench
AG
Goya Sazon is more appropriate for this dish's MSG source

CharlieBrown17
AG
Sooner Born said:

Shocking.
barnacle bob
AG
Hey Jimmy,

There are a lot of good tips on this thread, AustinAg's recipe is on page 2.

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/1960537/1
Duncan Idaho
schmendeler said:

For some reason the nutrition label on a can of accent always made me chuckle.

Ingredient: monosodium glutamate

It is the only product I have noticed that has an ingredient list and not an ingredients list.
bup
Quote:

This is outstanding.

I concur.
superunknown
AG
The trick is to undercook the onions. Everybody is going to get to know each other inside the pot.
Maximus_Meridius
AG
Jimmy McNulty said:

Can you post the thread with AustinAgChef's recipe?
Here you go

AAC's Chili
Producers_96
AG
bup said:

Quote:

This is outstanding.

I concur.
That's what I started with for my chili recipe, but have since added more chiles and cut the amount of stock in half. I found theirs a *tad* watery for my taste, but YMMV.
HTownAg98
superunknown said:

The trick is to undercook the onions. Everybody is going to get to know each other inside the pot.

At least once a year, I like to bring in some of my Kevin's Famous Chili. The trick is to undercook the onions. Everybody is going to get to know each other in the pot. I'm serious about this stuff. I'm up the night before pressing garlic and dicing whole tomatoes. I toast my own Ancho chilies. It's a recipe passed down from Malone's for generations. It's probably the thing I do best.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.