Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

What to do with beef roasts

6,621 Views | 42 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Ornlu
Lt. Joe Bookman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
A year ago, I had a cow butchered. I've got a ton of roasts (pikes peak, 7 steak) that I'm not sure what to do with. We've tried making crock pot roasts a few times, but we just don't like them all that much.

Was thinking about trying to smoke them on the BGE, but I'm not sure how well they'd do since they're pretty lean. Any other ideas?
Joe Exotic
AG
Make jerky
barney94
AG
Cube them out and make chili.
HTownAg98
Crock pots generally suck for roasts.

They are both roasts with lots of connective tissue, so your best best is to braise them or cook them low and slow like a brisket. You can make very good bbq with the 7-bone roast.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Barbacoa
n_touch
Always done roasts in a crock pot. Brown it first and then into a crock pot for 8+ hours. Mix in cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, broth and Worcester. Thicken after to make a gravy.

FIDO*98*
AG
Shredded Red Chile beef for tacos

Season roast with salt and pepper then sear the roast on all sides until brown. Next take the roast and put it in a braising pan with a bunch of onions, garlic, and red chiles. This can all be done in a la Cruset if you have one. Add a lager beer and water until just to the top of the beef and braise at 300 until fall apart tender. This can be done a day or several days ahead of time

Remove the meat and set aside

Strain braising liquid from the vegetables/Chiles and reserve

Put chiles, onion, and garlic in a blender. Add in about a cup of reserved liquid and a good pinch of Mexican oregano and puree until smooth. Add salt if necessary. A tbls of tomato paste can be added as well.

Hand shred beef and mix with the red chile sauce

Serve with corn tortillas, pico, sliced avocado, and lime wedges
FIDO*98*
AG
n_touch said:

Always done roasts in a crock pot. Brown it first and then into a crock pot for 8+ hours. Mix in cream of mushroom soup, onion soup mix, broth and Worcester. Thicken after to make a gravy.

Great reminder of what not to do
n_touch
Actually I may just do it tomorrow. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.
AgsMnn
AG
Crock Pot it

Put it on in the morning with potatoes and carrots mixed in. I add onions and garlic.

When you come home, take everything out and pour the juice in a sauce pan. Add a packet of Brown gravy mix and stir.

It's easy and my kids love it.
HTownAg98
n_touch said:

Actually I may just do it tomorrow. Just because you don't like it, doesn't mean someone else wouldn't.

Go get a beer or two, or pour a large glass of wine, and give this a read. You might change your mind about your crock pot.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html
schmendeler
AG
n_touch said:

Folks, this is how you troll
Bruce Almighty
AG
Slow cooker (oh no! not a slow cooker!) barbacoa tacos:

Sprinkle roast with salt and brown all over. Place in slow cooker.

Combine 2 guajillo and 2 ancho chiles, 3 cloves of garlic, 1 tbsp cider vinegar, 1 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp salt, 1 chipotle pepper, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, and 1/2 tsp Mexican oregano in blender and puree.

Pour through a strainer into crock pot and top with 1 bottle of beer.

Cook on high for 6 hours.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Bo Darville said:

Make jerky

That's a great idea. May try that this weekend.
Tecolote
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
FIDO*98* said:

Season roast with salt and pepper then sear the roast on all sides until brown. Next take the roast and put it in a braising pan with a bunch of onions, garlic, and red chiles. This can all be done in a la Cruset if you have one. Add a lager beer and water until just to the top of the beef and braise at 300 until fall apart tender. This can be done a day or several days ahead of time

Remove the meat and set aside

Strain braising liquid from the vegetables/Chiles and reserve

Put chiles, onion, and garlic in a blender. Add in about a cup of reserved liquid and a good pinch of Mexican oregano and puree until smooth. Add salt if necessary. A tbls of tomato paste can be added as well.

Hand shred beef and mix with the red chile sauce

Serve with corn tortillas, pico, sliced avocado, and lime wedges

This sounds great also. Will try soon.
FtBendTxAg
AG
HTownAg98 said:

n_touch said:

Go get a beer or two, or pour a large glass of wine, and give this a read. You might change your mind about your crock pot.
https://www.seriouseats.com/2016/10/why-pressure-cookers-are-better-than-slow-cookers.html

Haven't even looked at my crock pot since we got a pressure cooker a few years ago. So much more versatile and 5-45 minutes vs 4-8 hours makes it an even easier decision.

We make the serious eats pressure cooker pork Chile verde on a monthly basis. So damn good. Amazing you can make a fall apart pork shoulder in 40 minutes.
schmendeler
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

HTownAg98 said:

n_touch said:

Haven't even looked at my crock pot since we got a pressure cooker a few years ago. So much more versatile and 5-45 minutes vs 4-8 hours makes it an even easier decision.

We make the serious eats pressure cooker pork Chile verde on a monthly basis. So damn good. Amazing you can make a fall apart pork shoulder in 40 minutes.
I made that chile verde pork a few weeks ago for the first time. pretty awesome recipe.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Was thinking about doing a pastrami as well... Sounds interesting.

https://honest-food.net/venison-pastrami-recipe/
FincAg
AG
beef bourguignon
rouladen
german goulash
meatballs
paprikash
sauerbraten
carne asada
mongolian beef
95_Aggie
AG
A bit off topic ... has anyone used the slow cooking function of their electric pressure cooker for the rare occasion where you want to slow cook? Just curious if it is safe to leave unattended.
Bulldog73
AG
We tried it once with our instant pot, and we were very unimpressed with it. The temp on it seemed lower than the "warm" mode.
Max Power
AG
Not sure about either of those specific cuts. But I can attest that you can smoke a chuck roast and it turns out as pretty awesome bbq.
94chem
Half inch slices, slow cook the slices in Sauer Kraut, make sandwiches with Texas toast. Or slow cook wrapped in foil and use horseradish to make killer roast beef sandwiches.
HTownAg98
Lt. Joe Bookman said:

Bo Darville said:

Make jerky

That's a great idea. May try that this weekend.

Don't do jerky with it. Both of those cuts have a lot of connective tissue, and it will make for very tough jerky.
SACR
AG

Hot Italian beef sandwiches

1 tablespoon garlic salt
1 tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon white sugar
2 tablespoons dried oregano
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
1 teaspoon dried basil
1 tablespoon dried parsley
1/4 teaspoon celery salt
2 tablespoons salt

In a small bowl, mix together the garlic salt, onion powder, sugar, oregano, pepper, thyme, basil, parsley, celery salt and regular salt.

Pour three cups of water into a pot, add 3 tablespoons of spice mixture, stir well, and bring to a boil. (You can set aside the rest of the spice mixture for later, it makes a good salad dressing when mixed with oil and vinegar, too.)

Place roast in crock pot, pour in dressing mixture, cover, and cook on high for 4-5 hours, or low for 10-12 hours.

Remove roast from crock pot, shred with a fork, serve on crusty rolls topping it with sweet or hot Italian peppers.
Ornlu
AG
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ropa_vieja
BusterAg
AG
When doing English style beef roasts I use a Dutch oven in the oven. Set for 205 for 4 or more hours with potato, mushrooms, carrots, onions. Only add enough water to cover the bottom if the pan, like half a cup.

At 205, it does not dry out like most slow cookers would. The mushrooms and carrots sweat and add some liquid, but nowhere close enough to cover it.

Add some horseradish cream sauce on the plate, and not bad.
Hodor
AG
If you use a slow cooker, make sure you deglaze the pan you sear in, and add it to the pot. Also, saut your veggies first. I prefer to use my enameled cast iron Dutch oven, and braise it in the oven at 225-250, making it a one-pot meal, and you have more heat control.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Smoked a Seven steak yesterday and it turned out pretty good. Basically smoked it like a brisket, 225ish on my BGE. 4 pounds and it took longer than I expected at nearly 10 hours. It stalled at 160 for like 5 hours.

Tastes like lean brisket.

Dr. Horrible
Best thing I've found to do with it so far is thin sliced deli roast beef... Nothing too fancy...
big1russ
Do you have a Sous Vide? If so, salt and pepper a roast, vacuum seal with some garlic and rosemary, Sous Vide at 135 or so for 18 hours or so. Finish it on a roaster pan in your oven as hot as it will go, just long enough to brown up the outside. Slice it as thin as you can for some killer deli style roast beef. Use the liquid from the bag as au jus.
HTownAg98
This is also a correct answer.
BigLeroy
AG
I like to wait till the Choice Grade roasts go on sale for about $2.49/lb. Then, I load up.

Marinate it over night. Throw it it on a red scalding hot bed of mesquite coals and basically cook it like a steak to medium rare Pittsburgh style so it has some serious char on it.

After it rests with numerous pats of butter on it, slice it paper thin on an extreme angle. Then throw it back in the juices that released during resting. Ends up fine on the tender scale.

Eat it straight up or make fajitas or put it on a salad. Great, cheap eating. Don't knock it till you try it.

I do the same thing with London Broil cuts, but I really like a roast that way. Just be sure its Choice Grade or better and about 2 inches thick.
SACR
AG
BigLeroy said:

I like to wait till the Choice Grade roasts go on sale for about $2.49/lb. Then, I load up.

Marinate it over night. Throw it it on a red scalding hot bed of mesquite coals and basically cook it like a steak to medium rare Pittsburgh style so it has some serious char on it.

After it rests with numerous pats of butter on it, slice it paper thin on an extreme angle. Then throw it back in the juices that released during resting. Ends up fine on the tender scale.

Eat it straight up or make fajitas or put it on a salad. Great, cheap eating. Don't knock it till you try it.

I do the same thing with London Broil cuts, but I really like a roast that way. Just be sure its Choice Grade or better and about 2 inches thick.
I'm assuming you mean on a grill?

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.