Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Mexican Rice recipe?

5,215 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by AquaAg1984
My Dad Earl
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Does anybody have a good Mexican rice recipe? I haven't had much luck with the ones that I've tried that I've found online.
chipotle
1 cup long grain rice
2 cup water
2 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
2 tbsp oil

-saute rice in pot with tbsp oil
-when lightly browned add water
-add salt and chili powder
-when boiling, cover and set to low
-ready in about a half hour or whenever all the water's soaked up.

It's really that simple. Sometimes I'll add half a container of HEB pico. What's not working out for you?

Bruce Almighty
AG
https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/mexican-red-rice/

Best I've had
RGV AG
AG
Use the measurements above, but I would recommend nixing the chili powder and instead put a cube of caldo de tomato in the water and warm it up until it dissolves. Also throw about a half to a third of a can of rotel and some of the rotel juice in it.

While you are browning the rice also brown some onion slices or diced onion. Add garlic and cumin as seasoning.
Max Power
AG
I just cook the rice per the directions in chicken stock rather than water, add about 2T tomato paste and a packet of taco seasoning.
bmc13
AG
i've had great results making a recipe very similar to this many times
dummble
AG
my mom's recipe

1 cup or rice and half an onion sauteed in butter and oil till you get some good color on the rice. Add a diced small tomato to the skillet. Then add in 2 cups of water with 2 teaspoons of Knorr brand tomato bouillon (red lid) Cover with a lid, lower the heat to a simmer and cook for 15 minutes. Take off the heat and let sit for 5 more minutes then stir and serve.

You can play with that recipe because it scales fine, you can use Knorr chicken or beef. You can add in chicken pieces for arroz con pollo.

My grandma used more butter than you think is necessary and it was better
Tree Hugger
AG
I've played around with a few different ones, and more often than not I come away disappointed, with a gummy, tomatoey bowl of mush.

I've found that (as several others have pointed out with their recipes) browning the rice is crucial to texture and flavor. I also prefer to use chicken stock for the cooking liquid and throw in some diced tomato, pico, or a glug of salsa if I don't have anything fresh on hand.
nillbors likensoaxe
AG
Go to justapinch.com. Do a search for recipes by Emma Menchaca. She has one for Mexican rice. Follow her directions exactly on little to no stirring. I add about 1.5 teaspoons of cumin seed about 2/3rds of the way through toasting the rice. Also, using a can of chunky Rotel instead of tomato sauce works great and gives it some needed spice. She is right, using chicken stock instead of water really doesn't add anything to it. Really good recipe. Her recipe for Carne Guisada is the best you will ever eat.
Texker
AG
AMP87 said:

Go to justapinch.com. Do a search for recipes by Emma Menchaca. She has one for Mexican rice. Follow her directions exactly on little to no stirring. I add about 1.5 teaspoons of cumin seed about 2/3rds of the way through toasting the rice. Also, using a can of chunky Rotel instead of tomato sauce works great and gives it some needed spice. She is right, using chicken stock instead of water really doesn't add anything to it. Really good recipe. Her recipe for Carne Guisada is the best you will ever eat.
Made this the other night. I can't cook my way out of a paper bag and it was excellent.
fta09
AG
I like making things from scratch, but I also appreciate convenience. I just toss one of these in a pot of rice and cook it. Prepare the rice as you would normally otherwise.
SpiderDude
AG
I do a lot of southwestern style chicken thighs in an instant pot. It typically entails adding onion, peppers, garlic, tomatoes and spices. One thing I've learned is to NEVER throw out the excess liquid once it's done. That stuff is liquid gold... loaded with spices, chicken fat and the above vegetables. I usually get a really nice batch of beans (from dried not canned) or rice reusing it!
nai06
AG
RGV AG said:

Use the measurements above, but I would recommend nixing the chili powder and instead put a cube of caldo de tomato in the water and warm it up until it dissolves. Also throw about a half to a third of a can of rotel and some of the rotel juice in it.

While you are browning the rice also brown some onion slices or diced onion. Add garlic and cumin as seasoning.
same here but I use the powdered stuff not the cube and canned diced roasted tomatoes
HTownAg98
Bruce Almighty said:

https://www.rickbayless.com/recipe/mexican-red-rice/

Best I've had

I make a variation of this recipe where I swap out the carrot and peas for two roasted poblanos, chopped up.

If you really want to amp it up, used homemade chicken stock. There's a subtle difference if you use canned stock, and I prefer the canned stock version to just water.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
My rice is turning out much better now that I'm using this.

AquaAg1984
AG
https://www.homesicktexan.com/2008/06/with-beans-comes-rice.html
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.