Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Whats the next hot veggie?

7,186 Views | 70 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Federale01
The Milkman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My friends and I are having a debate on what will be the next big veggie to blow up and be in every hipster restaurant and on every menu. The new Brussels sprouts or cauliflower.

I say its okra. In the same way that people didnt really like brussels sprouts before, I dont think people really know how to cook okra yet in a way that is appealing to the masses outside of Louisiana and East Texas. Got a ton of health benefits, and its cheap.

A buddy says that it's beets. I can't see that, but again what do I know.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Artichokes?
FIDO*98*
AG
I could see Broccoli Rabe making a run at some point
HTownAg98
Beets and goat cheese are still on every damn menu around, and I say that as a person that likes beets.

If I had to guess, I'd go with spaghetti squash. I'm seeing it pop up in places that want to do a faux pasta dish (and really, it's pretty damn good in place of pasta with a hearty tomato sauce).
bmc13
AG
thisguy05
AG
19 will be the year of the radish.
rausr
AG
Kohlrabi

FtBendTxAg
AG
Radish or beets
Ornlu
AG
What was it before the new thing? Kale? Quinoa? I haven't really noticed a brussels sprouts explosion.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I've started seeing green beans recently more often than before.
docaggie
AG
HTownAg98 said:

Beets and goat cheese are still on every damn menu around, and I say that as a person that likes beets.

If I had to guess, I'd go with spaghetti squash. I'm seeing it pop up in places that want to do a faux pasta dish (and really, it's pretty damn good in place of pasta with a hearty tomato sauce).
Longhorn Steakhouse has a seasonal side dish of spaghetti squash with maple butter and sprinkling of cheese.
Personally, I like it a lot and the calorie count is nice and low.

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Matsui
AG
Brussel sprouts blew up a few years ago and they are everywhere on every menu.
FtBendTxAg
AG
Yeah they blew up about 6-7 years ago it seems like. Still truckin along.
eric76
AG
Okra patties are hard to beat. They have to be served hot, though. Let them cool off and they are ready for the trash can.
GarlandAg2012
AG
Based on my wife's instagram/pinterest habits and the fact that we are now eating salads with radishes in them, im gonna go with radish as well.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Bok choi
schmendeler
AG
personally, I welcome the coming age of okra. I could eat a giant bowl of just fried okra. (and I have)
Ornlu
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

Yeah they blew up about 6-7 years ago it seems like. Still truckin along.
But there have definitely been other, more trendy veggies since then. Quinoa five years ago. Kale three years ago.

I think it's going to be broccoli rabe.
Tecolote
AG
endives and/or escarole
HTownAg98
schmendeler said:

personally, I welcome the coming age of okra. I could eat a giant bowl of just fried okra. (and I have)

I'm the same way with stewed okra. Paired with some buttered bread, and it's a perfect light summer meal.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Roasted okra is great. It tastes fried without the added fat and calories. The problem is that I can only get it fresh for about 6 weeks here in Missouri.
bushytailed
AG
If it's beets be prepared for viral posts when people realize what beets do to their bowel movements.
Btron
AG
Poison Ivy?
AlaskanAg99
AG
I love beets. Plus then next day heart attack that you're ****ting out your innards until it dawns "I ate beets."

To hell with Okra.
aTm '99
Texmid
AG
AlaskanAg99 said:

I love beets. Plus then next day heart attack that you're ****ting out your innards until it dawns "I ate beets."

To hell with Okra.
I had something similar happen to me. Ate two orders of fried beets while drunk in Austin. Woke up in the middle of the night to take a leak. Urine was red and it really freaked me out until I remembered eating those beets.
Ornlu
AG
I fed our infant some beet babyfood, and forgot about it prior to the next diaper. Freaked me out, was trying to find the number to the dial-a-nurse to figure out if we needed to go to the ER when my wife reminded me.
Keeper of The Spirits
AG
I think we will continue to move to seasonal selections
gif
Celery root
Tumble Weed
We have been cooking a ton of spaghetti squash this year, and the kids love it. I don't think that it will be on the hipster list though. Butternut squash is another that has been on the menu more and more around the house, but may not be cheap enough for the neckbeards.

I think that eggplant would be a good hipster candidate. Okra as well. I can eat a barrel of that stuff.

docaggie
AG
Not the same, but I saw an article just yesterday about hot 2019 snack foods.
Mentioned alternate nut butters, and cactus water - which will join maple water in trying to dethrone coconut water.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Tanya 93
Swiss chard
Tecolote
AG
Tanya 93 said:

Swiss chard
This was a thing in my childhood in the 70s - funny at how things come full circle.
Tanya 93
I really like it and I have seen it in a few restaurants and at the farmer's market. They are greenhouse growing it.
Tecolote
AG
Tanya 93 said:

I really like it and I have seen it in a few restaurants and at the farmer's market. They are greenhouse growing it.
It's really easy to grow - we grew so much in our garden when I was a kid.
YouBet
AG
Beets have been a thing for years at least on medium to high end menus, but maybe you mean more main stream viral. Beet salads with fresh beets (yellow and red) are awesome.

Okra is my favorite vegetable. Pickled, fried, stewed...it doesn't matter. It's the best vegetable EVER.

Fried okra would be part of my final death row meal.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.