Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Share Your Worst Kitchen Disaster?

7,188 Views | 62 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Texmid
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I tried to blend a hot liquid.

I painted the kitchen.
schwack schwack
AG
This is what hummingbird nectar looks like when you forget about it for hours on the burner while doing yard work outside. The house smelled like a cross between what I would imagine a blown up combo meth lab/cotton candy factory would smell like.

Koko Chingo
AG
Many years ago when I was recently married and active duty. We were just finishing a week and a half long exercise and my wife had made a huge pot of spaghetti sauce. Because it was so much we decided to eat it the next day and invite some people over. It was the last day of the exercise and my wife said she could be a blessing to people not having to cook. Some others also offered to pitch in. Someone was brining over a salad and someone else was baking homemade bread. We also had some single people coming.

We lived in an apartment (Kadena AFB Towers) and my wife was going to run downstairs to help one of the other people finish up. She asked me to heat up the spaghetti sauce and boil a big pot of water.

The spaghetti sauce was in a large stockpot. I emptied it to one of our big ceramic bowls with a lid so I could use the stockpot to boil water. I then set them both on the stove and turned the burners (gas) on to high.

Right about the time my wife and neighbors walked in I hear a loud "Bang!" It was ceramic bowl breaking into pieces and sauce everywhere. The range was old school and did not have sealed burners. Spaghetti sauce went into all of the gas tubes and clogged everything up. Now a bunch of people who have been working 14+ hour days for a week and a half straight were in my house wanting a good dinner, and I just ruined it.

Dinner ended up being pizza, homemade bread, and salad. I got so much crap for that, for a long time.

The stove ended up being ruined and was replaced. My wife said the repair tech was pissed off when he saw it. At least it was on base and did not cost anything.
rilloaggie
AG
When I was a sophomore in the Corps it became our "privilege" to have a class microwave. One of the buddies(hefty guy) volunteered to have it in his room. Great at first but eventually he and his ol' lady got tired of people constantly bringing stuff into his room to microwave stuff. He did something to piss off one of my buds and so we decided it would be a funny prank to microwave something smelly. Ended up putting a hot dog and a slice of American cheese on a plate and throwing it in there...for 20 mins. We left it for a bit and then came back to check 15 mins in, give or take. We opened the door to the room to see flames inside the microwave and smoke coming from the door. We hit stop, which also opened the door, and a cloud of stinky smoke instantly filled the room. Quick thinking ensued and we threw the plastic hat cover over the smoke detector and opened the window. We grabbed the turntable which still had a burning hotdog/cheese/styrofoam plate mess on it and attempted to shake it off out the window. It slipped and the whole plate shattered on the bike rack below. We got the smoke out when one of the zips came to check on the smell. We went with the "tried to do 2 mins and accidentally hit 20" excuse; we were just dumb underclassmen after all. Microwave was completely ruined, the room it was in smelled like a trash fire and the rest of the rooms outside the fire doors next to their room all stunk like hell for weeks also.
heddleston
AG
I used the inverted method on my aeropress one morning and in my groggy state decided I'd put the plunger too far up into the cylinder. I tried to pull it down a bit, and wouldn't you know it, lava hot coffee slurry came flying out and all over my hand. I screamed and slung it all over the kitchen. I had 2nd degree burns on my hand and was still finding coffee grinds stuck to random surfaces for a year after that. No more inverted aeropresses for me!

When we were kids my sister made a peach pie with fresh peaches we picked at an orchard somewhere. She misread the instructions and instead of a tsp. of salt she put in a whole cup! She just stood in the kitchen bawling as we all tried to pretend it was still edible. It was very muchly not.
Bobcat-Ag
I tried to help my wife with Thanksgiving dinner prep one year. She needed me to boil the sweet potatoes for like 30 min to an hour or so. So I put the sweet potatoes in the pot, filled it with water and put it on the stove on high. Set a timer so that I could turn it off when done.

Well, it got to a really rolling boil and the water started to evaporate. The sweet potatoes started burning on the bottom. I come into the kitchen to check on something I am smelling. Then freak out because it is really black on the bottom of the pot. Needless to say, the house smelled awful and we did not have sweet potatoes that year. Took a lot of soaking and scrubbing to get that clean!

Another time I was making bacon for the kids and got a phone call. Trying to talk on the phone while cooking bacon and holding a baby. Stopped really paying attention to the bacon, then realized they were really done. They were really bad. My sweet daughter takes a bite and says "It's not that bad daddy!" It was though!
Ol_Ag_02
AG
bbon88 said:

One Christmas morning in Colorado, I was making a Black Bottom pie, and drinking champagne. While whipping cream, I looked away from the mixer for a minute, and stuck my hand into the bowl. My fingers actually stopped the mixer as they got stuck in the beaters. I ended up in the ER and lunch was late. One guest said he hoped I hadn't gotten blood in the cream. Not a fun day.

This is my nightmare. So much so that I won't allow my kids in the kitchen when the wife is using the mixer. Kids are dumb. But I like them to have fingers.
Tumble Weed
I dry roasted some habaneros inside the house using a fry pan on the cook top. Filled the house with a vapor that stung the eyes and induced coughing. Had two toddlers at the time and got yelled at by my wife as it drove us completely out of the house.

Learned to roast them outside on the grill instead.

Another time I had bought 4 custom cut porterhouses from the butcher. Cooked them perfectly, dropped one in the dirt on the way inside the house. It just slid right off the plate.

1208HawkTree
AG
FtBendTxAg said:

In college I passed out cold with 20 fish sticks in the toaster oven.

Burned kitchen wall and cabinets. Melted Formica everywhere.

My roommate from school did something similar. Came home nearly in a blackout, decided he wanted some of this tuna something or other he brought from home the previous week. I was watching TV in the living room while he put a bunch in a bowl and popped it in the microwave, then plopped down on the couch, passing out almost instantly. I start to smell a strong burning/tuna odor and realize that the microwave is still going. He apparently set the microwave for 20 minutes instead of 2. Took a couple weeks for that smell to go away.
HHAG
AG
The brownie mix had conventional and microwave directions with different cooking times. I used the conventional time in the microwave. Had to throw the pan away.
AggieChemist
AG
1208HawkTree said:

FtBendTxAg said:

In college I passed out cold with 20 fish sticks in the toaster oven.

Burned kitchen wall and cabinets. Melted Formica everywhere.

My roommate from school did something similar. Came home nearly in a blackout, decided he wanted some of this tuna something or other he brought from home the previous week. I was watching TV in the living room while he put a bunch in a bowl and popped it in the microwave, then plopped down on the couch, passing out almost instantly. I start to smell a strong burning/tuna odor and realize that the microwave is still going. He apparently set the microwave for 20 minutes instead of 2. Took a couple weeks for that smell to go away.
Guy I used to work with did the same thing, only he grew up in commie East Germany. In his story, it was a potato boiling in a pot of water.

Passed out drunk, boiled off all the water, and incinerated the potato.

LOL

Detlef. Hell of a microbiologist.
AggieChemist
AG
Tumble Weed said:

I dry roasted some habaneros inside the house using a fry pan on the cook top. Filled the house with a vapor that stung the eyes and induced coughing. Had two toddlers at the time and got yelled at by my wife as it drove us completely out of the house.

Learned to roast them outside on the grill instead.

Another time I had bought 4 custom cut porterhouses from the butcher. Cooked them perfectly, dropped one in the dirt on the way inside the house. It just slid right off the plate.

Yeah... gotta say, I'm not losing a good steak over a little dirt.
V8Aggie
AG
While at A&M I noticed a horrible smell coming from the kitchen. Shared a house with two of my buddies. I thought it was a dead rat in the wall/pantry. Couldn't find a damn thing. We pulled all of the items out of the pantry and cabinets to make sure that wasn't the issue. Still nothing. The smell just kept getting worse with every day. It was obvious it was coming from the pantry so I went through it one more time. One of my dumbass roommates had bought a box of frozen chicken tenders and had placed them in the pantry.

I took it outside and burned it with fire. I can still smell it today.
LB12Diamond
AG
I have painful one as well. I blame that I was young and stupid.

My dad was grilling K-Bob's. When they were done he was doing something and told me to take them off the grill. So I did, with my hands, not the tongs. Nice scalding burned fingers after grabbing the metal stakes.

As far as funny I have several to pick from my ex. Could write a book. But one of the most memorable, we had all the family at our place for Easter. She was cooking a ham. She used the time and temp for a solid ham. Unfortunately it was a precooked honey backed pre-sliced one. It came out of the oven very well done. The slices were like burnt jerky.

I'm sure it was my fault some how.
BackwardsInBoots
AG
I was making lemon meringue pie. The lemon part was fine, but when I went to make the meringue we were all out of sugar... But we had Splenda. I didn't realize there was a conversation factor and used the amount the recipe called for. It was inedibly sweet.

Mom forgot a gallon of milk in the trunk of her minivan and at some point it tipped over and came open. In the summer. In Texas. The van smelled like trash for at least a month.

Brother was probably in Middle School and wanted a snack. He got one of the Easy Mac cups and popped the noodles in the microwave... With no water. They came out black.

Sister put a heating pad in the microwave when she was around 6 or 7. No idea what the time she set was, but it filed the whole house with super terrible smoke - dad was super surprised when he came home from work to find mom, all the kids, and our hamster and bird sitting on the porch because the house was like a chemical warfare zone.

Oryx
Mine was probably the second time I tried to make a blackberry cake. The first time I made it, it came out perfect, which surprised me as the recipe was strict with more things than usual due to the acidity of the blackberries messing with the cakes rising and crumb chemistry, such as using a special type of flour and what not. Wanting to impress some girls I was meeting with later, I decided to make the recipe again, but this time upping everything by 50%, since I had a big enough pan the first time around (that should of been 8 inches instead of 9), so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal since it would more follow the original recipe's dimensions.

Fast forward to creaming the butter, sugar, and leavening agents together and I noticed that the mixer wasn't making the same sound it usually makes when creaming, me being a bright eyed optimist that thought literally nothing could go wrong, ignored it at the time. When I finally got everything combined, I noticed that the batter wasn't completely mixed, which in itself, is good to finish combining the mixture by hand and leaving thin streaks of flour as not to overmix and kill the crumb. Anyways, I get that done and get ready to put the cake into the oven and start on the cream cheese frosting confident that it'll come out the same as last time. I was wrong.

The reason that the noise was different was that the mixing bowl depressed to a certain degree from the bottom of the paddle attachment, something that I learned can happen after the fact as I use the same mixing bowl for thick pretzel dough sometimes. This led to an incomplete mixture in the creaming process resulting in larger pieces of butter, sugar, and leavening throughout the properly mixed batter. Adding the other ingredients, I couldn't see it since the incomplete creaming, as it was layered at the bottom of the bowl, only mixing it in throughout at the end before putting it into the pan.

So, in the oven, the reality was a thinner batter with shards of butter, sugar, and leavening throughout. It was not pretty. The shards of incomplete creaming touching the side of the pan caramelized and were shot upwards through the batter by the clumps of unmixed baking power, leaving brown craters throughout the purple cake. Meanwhile, you have the thin batter becoming a gelatinous mess with no rise due to the improper mixture, leaving a comically volcanic, cracking cake shelf at the top, with the thin batter sometimes launching up through it due to the baking powder nuggets setting off again. It was heartbreaking to watch through the window in real time, and I felt like a moron since I told these people I was bringing a good cake.

So yea, make sure your bowl is seated properly with your attachments.
OnlyForNow
AG
Cooking on a 3 burner propane camp stove (it's big, is elevated on legs etc) this past summer in CO.

We've got potatoes and onions going and fish.

Well we're just about done cooking everything and I'm manning the fish station, as I reach for something that was between the stove and the wall, all I hear is BAM!

My dad left the BBQ lighter sitting under one of the burners and it got so hot that it melted the liquid butane reservoir and exploded.

I ended up with most of my hair singed on my head and eyebrows and eye lashes burned off.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I haven't destroyed anything that I can remember to rival some of these great stories, but...

I'm the youngest of 3 kids and I was finally trusted to baste the brisket while mom and dad ran a couple of errands. I must have been 8-9 and had the normal baster and as I pulled the liquid in and poured it out I got the fantastic idea of filling the entire ball portion of the baster for some stupid reason. Of course after it got scorching hot I dropped it and it hit the shelf of dad's barrel pit and spit probably a few tablespoons of drippings right on my Oakland Raiders mesh football jersey (remember those) and burned the living fire out of me. Thought it had melted the fabric to my skin.

Cooking on a gas stove in Port A that I wasn't use to and didn't realize the bottom compartment is not storage, it is a warming oven and my F-I-L's wife stored her extra pans in there. I grabbed a handle on a cast iron skillet. Fortunately only used the thumb and forefinger and not the whole palm since it was a pretty small pan. Mustard works wonder on burns. Wish I knew that as an 8 year old.
Ornlu
AG
Oryx said:

Mine was probably the second time I tried to make a blackberry cake. The first time I made it, it came out perfect, which surprised me as the recipe was strict with more things than usual due to the acidity of the blackberries messing with the cakes rising and crumb chemistry, such as using a special type of flour and what not. Wanting to impress some girls I was meeting with later, I decided to make the recipe again, but this time upping everything by 50%, since I had a big enough pan the first time around (that should of been 8 inches instead of 9), so I thought it wouldn't be a big deal since it would more follow the original recipe's dimensions.

Fast forward to creaming the butter, sugar, and leavening agents together and I noticed that the mixer wasn't making the same sound it usually makes when creaming, me being a bright eyed optimist that thought literally nothing could go wrong, ignored it at the time. When I finally got everything combined, I noticed that the batter wasn't completely mixed, which in itself, is good to finish combining the mixture by hand and leaving thin streaks of flour as not to overmix and kill the crumb. Anyways, I get that done and get ready to put the cake into the oven and start on the cream cheese frosting confident that it'll come out the same as last time. I was wrong.

The reason that the noise was different was that the mixing bowl depressed to a certain degree from the bottom of the paddle attachment, something that I learned can happen after the fact as I use the same mixing bowl for thick pretzel dough sometimes. This led to an incomplete mixture in the creaming process resulting in larger pieces of butter, sugar, and leavening throughout the properly mixed batter. Adding the other ingredients, I couldn't see it since the incomplete creaming, as it was layered at the bottom of the bowl, only mixing it in throughout at the end before putting it into the pan.

So, in the oven, the reality was a thinner batter with shards of butter, sugar, and leavening throughout. It was not pretty. The shards of incomplete creaming touching the side of the pan caramelized and were shot upwards through the batter by the clumps of unmixed baking power, leaving brown craters throughout the purple cake. Meanwhile, you have the thin batter becoming a gelatinous mess with no rise due to the improper mixture, leaving a comically volcanic, cracking cake shelf at the top, with the thin batter sometimes launching up through it due to the baking powder nuggets setting off again. It was heartbreaking to watch through the window in real time, and I felt like a moron since I told these people I was bringing a good cake.

So yea, make sure your bowl is seated properly with your attachments.
Wow, this thread's full of hospital trips, accidental near-dismemberments, third degree burns, and non-voluntary kitchen repainting jobs.

So... if your worst ever kitchen disaster was a poorly mixed cake, consider yourself very lucky.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I guess a good one was trying to blacken fish the first time when it started to become popular. Didn't realize the smoke cloud and spice level in that cloud that will now be in the house for the next couple of days. When they said get the pan scorching hot, I was pretty successful on that part of the process. We ate outside and I slept in the dog house later.
RCR06
AG
In college I came back from Northgate and was hungry so I start boiling some water to cook noodles. Water starts boiling and I drop the noodles in. Sit down on the couch to watch TV until they are done. A while later I'm awoken by the smoke detector. All the water boiled out and burned the noodles. This seems to be a common occurrence.

Several years ago my aunt made a pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving. We decided that whoever won scrabble would get the pie. 30 minutes later she remembers that she forgot to add sugar. It then changed to whoever lost at scrabble got the pie. We all tasted it to see what it tasted like and it was terrible. My grandmother kept saying, but it looks so pretty.
Shelton98
AG
One of my roomates in college was making HB Helper in a skillet on the stove. When it was done he moved the skillet off the burner, removed the glass lid and set it down on the stove top, and plopped down on the couch in the living room to enjoy his culinary creation. The four of us were watching Jerry Springer when, after about 15 minutes, something in the kitchen went "BOOM!". We all look at each other with a "WTF was that?" look. We go into the kitchen to investigate and find a shattered glass lid sitting on top of a burner still set on high... and there are shards of glass stuck in the wall, about belly-button high, throughout the perimeter of the kitchen.

Thank the lawd none of us were in the kitchen when that thing went boom. That guy is CEO of a well known company these days.
Ernest Tucker
AG
My girlfriend invited me over for valentines dinner at her apartment (not the best neighborhood) in Colorado.

She cooked the asparagus in a glass casserole dish and pulled it from the oven, placing it on a hot burner. Something else started burning and filled the house with smoke, so I opened the door, allowing a rush of cold winter air to come in.

I guess the sudden contraction of the glass casserole dish caused it to explode, sending glass shards everywhere and sounding like a shotgun blast. We both hit the floor, before we realized what it was. I ended up marrying that one.
dallasiteinsa02
I am sure there are better ones that I can't think of right now, but the day we brought our twins home from the hospital I decided to put a bag of microwave rice in the microwave but forgot to vent it. My wife had a csection and was still in a ton of pain. At the exact moment she sat down in a kitchen chair, the microwave bag explodes. Everyone in the kitchen thought it was the chair she had sat in. To this day her laughing she claims was worse than delivery.
752bro4
AG
We were having a big Cinco de Mayo party with our neighbors, and I was responsible for the fajitas/onions/peppers. I had the onions and peppers in 2 cast iron skillets on the grill while I was letting the skirt steak rest. We got in a rush to get food on the table to serve, and completely lost track of the onions and peppers. I was drinking fairly heavily and over the course of the night, just never registered that there weren't any onions or peppers out for everyone.

Later that night, we were in the backyard and one neighbor said "Hey your grill is still hot, want me to turn it off?" I told him sure, and he just cut the propane off at the tank.

Fast forward to the next morning, my wife and I were cleaning up, and I was going to get the grill cleaned up and covered, when I raised the lid and saw two skillets with about 1.5" of goo and charred onions peppers caked inside 2 skillets. Normally, I would have just tossed these and gotten new ones, but I had several years of work on these ,sanding them down, seasoning, re-seasoning, etc...

It took about 2-3 weeks of oven cleaner, sanding, seasoning, seasoning, seasoning, and more seasoning to finally get them back to normal.
eric76
AG
I nearly caught a kitchen on fire one day. I was about five seconds from calling the fire department when I got the fire extinguished. The place stunk for weeks.

Even worse was the time when I was a kid when I stuck my finger into a blender.
jtp01
AG
Several years ago some very good friends of ours got married in my barn. It was decided 2 days before that I would be cooking 20 briskets fro the rehearsal dinner and the wedding. No big deal, I love cooking and especially brisket.

Rehearsal dinner was in my kitchen and in an effort to keep the surfaces clean, I put fat trimmings in a plastic bowl and stashed it in a cold oven. I told my wife about it (she agrees) the next morning she got up to preheat the ovens to warm the other 17 briskets for the wedding and fills the house with burned plastic/brisket fat smoke that was awful.

Funny enough, we just sold our house and are in the process of packing everything up and the story was retold yesterday.
Ornlu
AG
eric76 said:

Even worse was the time when I was a kid when I stuck my finger into a blender.
Come on, you gotta tell that story properly!
Texmid
AG
My ex-wife decided to boil an egg in the microwave. I was upstairs and heard a very loud BANG! Walk downstairs to find the door of the microwave blown open with pieces of egg scattered all over the kitchen. The microwave never worked again.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.