Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

Favorite NYC Restaurants

3,625 Views | 33 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gigemags87
Big Al 1992
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
For Steaks, Italian, Comfort, Dessert?
Snowball
AG
Maloney and Porcelli at 50th between Park and Madison for all the above except italian food.

Bruce Almighty
AG
Katz
HHAG
AG
Manzo in Eataly.
Fall92
AG
La Masseria is one of my favorite Italian restaurants in the U.S.
"I did nothing. I did absolutely nothing, and it was everything that I thought it could be."
Ags03
AG
Italian - Il Gattopardo - 15 West 54th Street
COSCAG00
AG
Steaks - Peter Lugers in Brooklyn & Keens Chop House in Manhatten
Pizza - Julianas in Brooklyn

Katz Deli
ATM9000
AG
I really like Il Mulino Prime for steaks and Italian. Keens is good for steak and Scarpetta for Italian. Check out Minetta Tavern too for upscale comfort food.

Snowball
AG
If you are going to do Peter Luger in Brooklyn, make reservations and bring cash
Quinn
AG
Italian- Fiore, Pasquale Jones, I Sodi
Comfort - Jacob's Pickles
Seersucker Ag 2011
AG
Go to McSorely's after dinner. Love that bar.
aTm2004
AG
Bubby's for pancakes and breakfast.
Mr_mo8268
AG
Val Bella was incredible Italian food, one of the top 5 meals I've ever had.
STK has great steak but so does 40 other places.
MBUSA
Favorites probably too expensive and too much effort to get a table.

Really good.
Benjamin Steakhouse(41st) has always been consistently serving great steaks and fun atmosphere; and is an off shoot of Peter Luger. Sparks and the usual cast. Hard to go wrong.

il Buco 47 Bond Quaint and authentic.

Bubby's Hudson St. (Tribeca)

Balthazar 80 Spring St. Reputation speaks for itself.

Really really good.
Avra Estiatorio E 48th St. A known but well kept secret. Must go!

Cancelled
AG
For pizza you can't beat sbarro
Tecolote
AG
MBUSA said:

Really good.
Benjamin Steakhouse(41st) has always been consistently serving great steaks and fun atmosphere; and is an off shoot of Peter Luger. Sparks and the usual cast. Hard to go wrong.

Really really good.

Whatever.
ATM9000
AG
MBUSA said:

Really good.

Really really good.

Balthazar is a legit recommendation.

Sparks Steakhouse is trash though. Sparks and Meat Market are both subpar steakhouses in the city. Keens and Benjamin are great, Luger is pretty good but maybe a little bit hype.

I see it here all he time, Bubby's... Look it is pretty good but unless you are in the area for breakfast I 100% don't get they hype. Nice ambience, solid breakfast, but most people in the city visiting aren't staying in Tribeca or West Village... and it is pretty damn expensive for eggs and pancakes.
Krazykat
AG
Carmine's.
JCA1
AG
ATM9000 said:

Sparks Steakhouse is trash though. Sparks and Meat Market are both subpar steakhouses in the city. Keens and Benjamin are great, Luger is pretty good but maybe a little bit hype.

I see it here all he time, Bubby's... Look it is pretty good but unless you are in the area for breakfast I 100% don't get they hype. Nice ambience, solid breakfast, but most people in the city visiting aren't staying in Tribeca or West Village... and it is pretty damn expensive for eggs and pancakes.

In his defense, he did hold back his best recommendations because we can't afford them.
ATM9000
AG
JCA1 said:

ATM9000 said:

In his defense, he did hold back his best recommendations because we can't afford them.
Anyone mentioning Sparks as a recommended isn't balling too hard in New York.
aTm2004
AG
ATM9000 said:

MBUSA said:

Really good.

Really really good.

My wife is a pancake snob and it is her favorite place outside of Monument Cafe in Georgetown. We've been to both the Tribeca and Highline locations multiple times and it's always been excellent.
MBUSA
ATM9000 said:

JCA1 said:

ATM9000 said:

I have had good and bad there. Certainly not in my top list.
Tecolote
AG
MBUSA said:

ATM9000 said:

JCA1 said:

ATM9000 said:

I have had good and bad there. Certainly not in my top list.
But, it is in your list of "favorites" as the OP title indicates.
ATM9000
AG
aTm2004 said:

ATM9000 said:

MBUSA said:

Really good.

Really really good.

My wife is a pancake snob and it is her favorite place outside of Monument Cafe in Georgetown. We've been to both the Tribeca and Highline locations multiple times and it's always been excellent.

I said it was pretty good... I went there when I lived in the area still a couple of times. But at the end of the day it is expensive, out of the way for most who are just staying in Midtown pancakes,
ATM9000
AG
Somebody mentioned Val Bella... that's very good too. Love the ambience of the one in the Meatpacking District.
Wolfman03
AG
Del Posto
Masseria dei Vini
Barney Greengrass
Big Al 1992
AG
Here's a few we loved
The Melt Shop - awesome grilled cheese and milkshakes
Johns Pizza on Bleeker - in my top 2 NY Pizza
Lombardi's - touristy but still great pizza, in my top 2
Benito One in Little Italy - very authentic, can be hit and miss on some dishes - read their reviews on Trip Advisor, if you leave a bad one the owner throws downs with the poster in classic NY style
Time Square Diner - doesn't look like much on the outside but terrific breakfasts and super fast service
The Food Hall at the Plaza Hotel - just discovered this and will go back - crepes, pastries, lobster bisque, wine bars - an upscale food court with lots of options.
Duncan Idaho
Going to be in Manhattan for a week next month. We don't have a great travel policy ($75/day that can't be carried over between days) and I will be there by myself.

So what are some places to try? I am looking for locals' "I am leaving town for six weeks in the morning, so I am going to _______ tonight" kind of places and not the "oh business travel? There is this steakhouse or this Thomas Keller restaurant or what have you" type of places.
dallasag_123
I have not lived there for a while but my locals:

Porsena
Frank
RedFarm
Spicy Village
Pete's Tavern
Lupa
Seville

Some of those will not put a dent into your 75 bucks (spicy Village is very much a cheap hole in the wall) where others will be close. But, would not call any of them tourist destinations but all good local places.
Duncan Idaho
Thanks. That is what I am looking for
Duncan Idaho
Went to Pete's last night. Pretty good.

Went to David Chang's Italian place Tonite. Got the tasting menu. Pretty ****ing awesome.

The kitchen threw me a sample of their pork ribs.... Literally the best pork rib I have ever had.
Sooner Born
Damn. I passed on a chance to go to his Italian place in November. Will have to get there next time.
gigemags87
AG
Yakitori Totto - put your name in at the door and wait in the bar across the street for a text that your table is ready.

Yakitori Torishin - Michelin starred. Use Resy app to book the omikase at chefs counter. Pricey but awesome food and experience.
Tecolote
AG
gigemags87 said:

Yakitori Totto - put your name in at the door and wait in the bar across the street for a text that your table is ready.

Yakitori Torishin - Michelin started. Use Resy app to book the omikase at chefs counter. Pricey but awesome food and experience.
Michelin awards stars but doesn't start restaurants.
gigemags87
AG
Appreciate the value add there.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.